Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "We Don't Need to. We Finished 17" - Glenn Murray

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Bruno has retired leaving Glenn as the elder statesman of the squad. I think if Hughton takes the West Brom job he could come in for Bong and Kayal who are the next oldest. Therefore, in terms of experience, I think it is important Glenn remains at the club.

Something tells me Bong won't be overly keen to make the switch to the Hawthorns. And his signing probably not best received....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As stated by someone earlier, it's no doubt the attitude which TB is looking to change.

When we reached 26 points or whatever it was fairly early, complacency kicked in for this very reason. No aspirations to do better.

Hmm, looks like why we didn't win the Championship when it was ours to lose.........and guess what, we did!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you were to consider this in any other work space - just doing enough to avoid a very clear and public failure - would have you in a poor place at your annual appraisal.
If you want to play on the edge of failure, go ahead, but I wouldn't want anyone working in my team that thought coming that close to failure was okay - would soon be out the door ...

I used to hate annual appraisals and quite often challenged the nonsense that I was expected to say.

Where do you see yourself in five years. At my desk I would reply. (I loved it when I could say -retired)
Where do you see the business going? As far as you and the bosses are able to take it.
What do you see at the end of the day - me going home.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If Cardiff's last minute winner had been correctly ruled out for offside, Murray’s last minute header had gone in against Newcastle and we'd held on a couple more minutes against spurs, we'd have finished 15th. But the season would have been fundamentally the same.

Small margins down there and we finished at the bottom end of our potential points range. Plenty of reasonable scenarios where we have cruised into 13th place and not played any different.

I totally agree with this despite the fact that I'm someone who 100% believes it was time for Hughton to go. In simple terms, he achieved his goal of keeping us up and we were a few awful decisions away from a fair few points more (I really don't believe that "it evens itself out" over a season for clubs at the bottom of leagues).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes of course there is more ambition. But want and need are different things. The suggestion put to him was that we must improve. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If we finish 17th again, it'll be a bit disappointing, but at least we'd have stayed in the PL again, which will help with finances and we'll be in a position to make another attempt at improving. Finish below that and then we're in trouble - we'd lose players and be batting for promotion with many other teams.

Agreed....people trying to read too many things into one snippet from an interview

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here