Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "We Don't Need to. We Finished 17" - Glenn Murray

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
In answer to the question on the need to improve next season.

Hope that's not how the new manager sees it.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...lishes-senior-role-after-learning-from-bruno/

Glenn Murray is ready for life as Albion's elder statesman.

And he will take a few tips from his predecessor as he takes his career into a 16th season.

Murray turns 36 on September 25. His next league appearance will be the 500th of his career.

Assuming his tenure as Albion’s centre-forward continues, he is likely to be their oldest player by a distance.

Not just the oldest in the team. That was often the case in the season just finishing when Bruno was out of the side.

But the oldest at the club – and by a good few years too.

Murray, though, feels as good as ever and has thoughts only on football, while knowing he needs to appreciate each season more than ever.

After the campaign-ending defeat by Manchester City, he said: “I’m physically and mentally tired but there is a little bit of a sad element about it as well.

“There is another one ticked off and they aren’t going to keep coming around.

“Seeing Bruno (on his farewell) first-hand evoked emotions a little bit.

“But I’ll be ready to go come the start of the season.”

Asked if he was pondering life after playing. Murray replied: “I don’t think you can take your focus off what we are doing at the minute.

“This league is obviously the best in the world and, if I start focusing on other things, that will be the end already.

“It is about focusing on the now and that will be each game and each season as it comes and trying to prolong my career as long as possible.

“Looking to Bruno, he has taught me the right way to do things and I will be trying to follow in his footsteps.

“Just how to age and how to, I suppose, defy the odds and keep your body going.

“It’s more off the field than on the field.

“It’s living a regimented life, diet, lifestyle, more work off the field than younger boys have to do.

“It’s hard work but it is all worth it.”

Only three players aged 34 or older scored in the Premier League this term – and the other two were centre-backs.

Murray finished with 13, Leicester defender Wes Morgan scored three and Phil Jagielka became the season’s oldest Prem marksman when, at 36, he hit Everton’s winner at home to Arsenal last month.

The Albion striker was talking before news broke of*Chris Hughton’s departure.

The next season will be a whole new challenge now with a change of manager in the offing.

Graham Potter is favourite to take over and, through necessity as well as preference, he went with the youngsters at Swansea this season.

Of the ten outfield players who had most minutes for Swans, Kyle Naughton is currently 30, Mike van der Hoorn is 26 and the other eight are 23 or younger.

Oliver McBurnie, with 22, was top goalscorer at 22 years of age and Daniel James, 21, provided most assists with seven.

Wayne Routledge, 34, flew the flag for the older heads with five goals in his 22 starts.

To a suggestion that Albion must improve next term, Murray said: “We don’t need to. We finished 17th.

“If we finish 17th again, it doesn’t matter how many points it is by.

“But the hierarchy of the club will be working hard and looking at players and that is the nature of the beast at all levels of the game.

“Squads and clubs want to keep improving and we will be no different.”

“I am sure the squad we have now will be ready to go from July.”

ALBION’S SENIOR FIGURES

(Age at start of next season)

35: Glenn Murray.

31:*Gaetan Bong,*Beram Kayal, Leon Balogun.

30: David Button,*Dale Stephens.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And therein lies the ingrained mentality that Bloom is attempting to move us on from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
GM has played his last game for the Albion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey - Balogun's 31?! Anyone else think he was a bit more of a whippersnapper?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I beg to differ. Surely 17th (and survival) although keeps us in the Premier League there has to be more ambition?
Yes of course there is more ambition. But want and need are different things. The suggestion put to him was that we must improve. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If we finish 17th again, it'll be a bit disappointing, but at least we'd have stayed in the PL again, which will help with finances and we'll be in a position to make another attempt at improving. Finish below that and then we're in trouble - we'd lose players and be batting for promotion with many other teams.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
GM has played his last game for the Albion.

I have to admit he'll probably be either gone (to the Championship - Chris will take him to West Brom) or he'll be very much a bit part player in the cups. I love GM to bits, but so do the Premier League defenders who don't even break stride trying to catch him.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have to admit he'll probably be either gone (to the Championship - Chris will take him to West Brom) or he'll be very much a bit part player in the cups. I love GM to bits, but so do the Premier League defenders who don't even break stride trying to catch him.

Ederson wasn't very fond of him on Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha ! you've been saying that for the last 2 years.

and the intransigents and blind faith shown in GM has gone some way to costing the Albion's greatest ever manager his job.
No new manager will be pinning his future to Murray.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Ederson wasn't very fond of him on Sunday.

GM is a poacher - and he's extremely good at it. He's got some kind of pigeon radar as to where the goal is!

However, he's slow. We can't deny that. It's like counting sheep watching him going up for a header after a goal kick or free kick, winning about 50% of them, holding it up when he does, passing it, then running towards the opposition goal and being overtaken and dealt with. Back to the opposition being in possession.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you were to consider this in any other work space - just doing enough to avoid a very clear and public failure - would have you in a poor place at your annual appraisal.
If you want to play on the edge of failure, go ahead, but I wouldn't want anyone working in my team that thought coming that close to failure was okay - would soon be out the door ...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you were to consider this in any other work space - just doing enough to avoid a very clear and public failure - would have you in a poor place at your annual appraisal.
If you want to play on the edge of failure, go ahead, but I wouldn't want anyone working in my team that thought coming that close to failure was okay - would soon be out the door ...

As stated by someone earlier, it's no doubt the attitude which TB is looking to change.

When we reached 26 points or whatever it was fairly early, complacency kicked in for this very reason. No aspirations to do better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
and the intransigents and blind faith shown in GM has gone some way to costing the Albion's greatest ever manager his job.

Just as well CH did, else we'd be looking forward to Championship football next season. Lest we forget, our next nearest top PL scorer was Shane Duffy. Which is pathetic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excluding pens, he scored 9 in 38 appearances in the PL (6 from open play, 1 counter and 2 set piece) and had 1 assist - and we relied on him to stumble over the line and stay up. Including pens it's a goal every 3hrs+. IMO we are utterly ****ed if he's leading the line next year. Not a dig at Glenn who has been fantastic for us since he came back but we simply have to improve (and I realise it's not just him but the chances we create for whoever is up front, goals from midfield etc etc)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Yeah. It's not like his 13 goals were important to our season or anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here