Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A League Of Our Own

el punal

Thank goodness that season is done and dusted, and thank you Cardiff for being ever so slightly worse than us. Many reasons have been given as to why our malaise occurred and one of them was our lack of success against those teams in or around or below us. Best summed up that against the three relegated clubs we accrued a measly 7 out of a possible 18 points.

As we all know we are only going get scraps of the so called big six - the season just gone Man Utd and Arsenal were the generous ones. But what of the teams that are, arguably, our equal. Based on status, size, recent history and personal opinion, I’ve done some research on how we’ve fared against them since we’ve been in the Premier League. Here goes :

Bournemouth L D L L

Burnley D D L L

Crystal Palace D L W W

Leicester L L D L

Southampton D D D L

Watford D W L D

So out of 24 matches played we won 3, drew 10, lost 11, points gained 19 out of a possible 72. Ouch!

Within that selection of teams I omitted Everton, Newcastle and West Ham as I consider them to be “bigger” clubs for any number of reasons.

Next season I would reckon Norwich and Sheffield United , and possibly Derby, will join us in our own league dog fight.

So if we’re not going get anything off the big six then we’ll have to damn well improve on results against our “equals” or the trap door beckons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank goodness that season is done and dusted, and thank you Cardiff for being ever so slightly worse than us. Many reasons have been given as to why our malaise occurred and one of them was our lack of success against those teams in or around or below us. Best summed up that against the three relegated clubs we accrued a measly 7 out of a possible 18 points.

As we all know we are only going get scraps of the so called big six - the season just gone Man Utd and Arsenal were the generous ones. But what of the teams that are, arguably, our equal. Based on status, size, recent history and personal opinion, I’ve done some research on how we’ve fared against them since we’ve been in the Premier League. Here goes :

Bournemouth L D L L

Burnley D D L L

Crystal Palace D L W W

Leicester L L D L

Southampton D D D L

Watford D W L D

So out of 24 matches played we won 3, drew 10, lost 11, points gained 19 out of a possible 72. Ouch!

Within that selection of teams I omitted Everton, Newcastle and West Ham as I consider them to be “bigger” clubs for any number of reasons.

Next season I would reckon Norwich and Sheffield United , and possibly Derby, will join us in our own league dog fight.

So if we’re not going get anything off the big six then we’ll have to damn well improve on results against our “equals” or the trap door beckons.

Good stats. If anyone wanted confirmation of why Tony had to act, this is it.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
"Best summed up that against the three relegated clubs we accrued a measly 7 out of a possible 18 points."

1 out of 12 against the two immediately below us.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I don't buy this massaging of the stats, the simple fact is we got enough points to stay up. Where they came from or didn't come from is irrelevant. Hughton paid the price for our capitulation from January onwards.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Within that selection of teams I omitted Everton, Newcastle and West Ham.

It’s a poor return from the selected teams admittedly. However I’ve been to all 4 of our Newcastle games and 3 of the West Ham fixtures and they make for much better reading. I’ll admit, though, that Everton away last season was absolutely dire!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good stats. If anyone wanted confirmation of why Tony had to act, this is it.

Agreed. I'm not entirely convinced by the omissions (especially when Leicester, for instance, are included in there) and the picture would look slightly different if all or some of those were included (10 points from West Ham, for instance; 6 from Newcastle; 4 from Everton), but the overall argument is a compelling one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy to cherry pick the stats to prove whatever you want them to prove, but the fact remains that for far too many periods of far too many games we looked more like a struggling Championship side than a credible Premier League side.

el punal

Agreed. I'm not entirely convinced by the omissions (especially when Leicester, for instance, are included in there) and the picture would look slightly different if all or some of those were included (10 points from West Ham, for instance; 6 from Newcastle; 4 from Everton), but the overall argument is a compelling one.

I did qualify my post with “ personal opinion” regarding clubs of our equal. Newcastle, Everton and West Ham, despite a reasonably good record against them are not are equal whatever spin you put on it be it financial, ground size, history and so forth.
On the pitch, however, we may well have matched them but certainly not in resources.

el punal

I don't buy this massaging of the stats, the simple fact is we got enough points to stay up. Where they came from or didn't come from is irrelevant. Hughton paid the price for our capitulation from January onwards.

It’s not a massaging of stats by any means. It’s a record of achievement against those clubs that we should have been more competitive against. As was often said in the last two season it’s the teams that were around or below us that we need to pick up points. I fully agree, though, with the capitulation from January onwards - we were dire.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Bournemouth L D L L

Burnley D D L L

Crystal Palace D L W W

Leicester L L D L

Southampton D D D L

Watford D W L D

And 1 point from 6 against Fulham + nothing from Cardiff.

(Yes, we beat Huddersfield twice)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

Bournemouth L D L L

Burnley D D L L

Crystal Palace D L W W

Leicester L L D L

Southampton D D D L

Watford D W L D

I agree that the results weren't great against the team around us and I can see your logic, sort of, for excluding West Ham and Everton due to budget but given your criteria includes status and recent history you cant exclude the two teams who were promoted with us.

Newcastle WDWD
Huddersfield LDWW

el punal

I agree that the results weren't great against the team around us and I can see your logic, sort of, for excluding West Ham and Everton due to budget but given your criteria includes status and recent history you cant exclude the two teams who were promoted with us.

Newcastle WDWD
Huddersfield LDWW

The table I produced just included the teams that we’ll play again next season. Bye Huddersfield!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here