Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Safari Advice

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Mrs Trevor and myself are thinking of going on a Safari - haven't been on one before. I thought the good folks of NSC might be able to give good advice. We would probably want to stay in lodges rather than camp. We had heard Kruger was overly commercial. We would prefer a local guide rather than driving ourselves. I would quite like any help from people that have been already

where to go
when to go
companies you went with and whether you would recommend

Any help greatly appreciated.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Maasai Mara is one of the best. Also aim to go when the migration is on.

Last edited:

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
Go as off beat as you can .... don't do the safe guide thing, if you want safety go to a zoo.
We went on a camping expedition, 5 of us ... first night around the camp fire having a biscuit fight then all through the night hyenas were rummaging amongst the tent eating the biscuits. Used an outside toilet with touch ... too funny to have ya jake in your hand and looking up to find the toilet ceiling covered in bats. Advised to stick to main roads but soon went off track, then down pathways, then what just appeared to be indentations in the grass ... until we had to hit reverse having bumped into a heard of elephants. Jumping out and chasing a giraffe through the bush, till you come across another giraffe, a half eaten one, which soon makes you back peddle to the van.

Stay in travel lodges but pitch your tent, they put a local as a sentry on you armed with a gun. Gives you a little safety feeling when you are woken by a lions roaring. Stayed around Tsavo west and amboseli in Kenya. Word of warning ... if you build a campfire to cook up some food watch out for the Scorpions .... hurts like frik when they sting you

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
99BD4BA8-D3B1-411F-810B-14CDCDD6334B.jpeg

Ask Biggins.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A walking safari will get your adrenaline flowing. I did one in Zimbabwe down a dried out river bed with thick vegetation and trees on either side. I bloody loved it but with a constant worry that it could all go a bit pear shaped depending on what was around us that I could hear but couldn’t see.

Safaris from a jeep or van were nowhere near as much fun, although the night trips with a spotlight on the vehicle were interesting.

It was surprisingly cold on the early morning safaris too. Watch out for Elephants in musk, they are a bit scary.

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Go as off beat as you can .... don't do the safe guide thing, if you want safety go to a zoo.
We went on a camping expedition, 5 of us ... first night around the camp fire having a biscuit fight then all through the night hyenas were rummaging amongst the tent eating the biscuits. Used an outside toilet with touch ... too funny to have ya jake in your hand and looking up to find the toilet ceiling covered in bats. Advised to stick to main roads but soon went off track, then down pathways, then what just appeared to be indentations in the grass ... until we had to hit reverse having bumped into a heard of elephants. Jumping out and chasing a giraffe through the bush, till you come across another giraffe, a half eaten one, which soon makes you back peddle to the van.

Stay in travel lodges but pitch your tent, they put a local as a sentry on you armed with a gun. Gives you a little safety feeling when you are woken by a lions roaring. Stayed around Tsavo west and amboseli in Kenya. Word of warning ... if you build a campfire to cook up some food watch out for the Scorpions .... hurts like frik when they sting you
sounds like you had a terrific time with excellent adventure. Never been stung by a scorpion - thanks for taking the time

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Thanks yes Botswana was on our short list

I used to live there - The Moremi Game Reserve in Okavango or the Chobe National Park - you won't go wrong with either of them.

Best time to go is during our summer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I used to live in Kenya and so have done the Masai Mara several times. It is superb, go in July to watch the migration, it is also cool weather and cold in the mornings so you see the animals a lot more active that at other times. My other tip would be to pay a bit more for your own private vehicle, well worth the money rather than having to share a safari vehicle with other people jostling for space.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
It depends on your budget and what you want to see.
Our best experience was in the Serengeti and Ndutu. We had a brilliant guide but this is really expensive. (Avoid Leopard tours as they just chase around looking for the big 5. Don’t worry, you’ll see the big cats but there is so much more to enjoy.)
We go to the Kruger regularly- it does have a lot of visitors but it is really big so it doesn’t feel that commercial. However it is set up for self drive and I do understand why you prefer not to do that. Also having a game ranger means that you will learn a lot more about the animals. It does take time to train your eyes to spot animals - it’s amazing how you can miss an elephant. I’m lucky as my wife’s family are all experienced game-watchers.
There are smaller parks in South Africa such as Mabula (with the advantage of being malaria free) which would cater for your needs - this only operates with game drives and has reasonably priced lodges. Alternatively there are more luxurious lodges around the Kruger where you wouldn’t feel it is too commercial and they have their own lodges.

But, do go as it is an addictive past time. We’re back in the Kruger in September staying at Kruger Park Lodge in Hazy View

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here