Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] EU Elections. Where is your X ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry, where does it say the Tories want to stay in the Customs Union.

I thought that was the stumbling block with trying to do a deal with the Labour Party?

Their deal stays in the Customs Union, but they have cunningly renamed it The Backstop. And it's only in place until they have found the magic answer to the Ireland/NI border issue that they haven't been able to find in the last 3 years. I think the Labour Party have given up looking for the magic answer.

Semantics innit :wink:

D

Deleted member 22389

Not up to me. When I buy a car, I make my choice and leave the nuts and bolts to the experts. I suspect you might be the sort to go and watch them construct it, telling them where they might be going wrong.

Your right. It's not the job of leavers to sort out how we leave, that is down to the government. The instruction was clear, Remain or Leave, we voted Leave, end of story.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I may be making a rash assumption here, but I'm assuming that Carole Cadwalladr is desperate to remain in the EU, no matter what.

I can't comment on her opinions, but you can't make these allegations disappear by just saying "pfft, clearly a Remoaner" or similar.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Your right. It's not the job of leavers to sort out how we leave, that is down to the government. The instruction was clear, Remain or Leave, we voted Leave, end of story.

So why do Leavers keep voting against Leaving?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Note how the 'No Deal Brexit' is being rebranded as the 'WTO Brexit'. I don't count myself as an expert in the ways of the WTO and I suspect that the vast majority of Brexit voters understand even less about it. But as the successful original Leave messaging proved in the Referendum, they've got a bit of a track record in 'hitting the spot' and cannot be under-rated. Having said that I think that simply showing pictures of Nigel Farage with a pint of piss in his hand would still result in a huge Brexit Party vote.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Having said that I think that simply showing pictures of Nigel Farage with a pint of piss in his hand would still result in a huge Brexit Party vote.

I hope you are not suggesting all 'No deal' Leavers are stupid.

I believe there is a proportion of them that is dragging the average down for the rest :whistle:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't comment on her opinions, but you can't make these allegations disappear by just saying "pfft, clearly a Remoaner" or similar.

I didn't make anything disappear (though I'm very sceptical about it) but you certainly can reasonably comment on her opinions, given her statements.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Brexit Party to get somewhere just shy of 30% of vote. They'll claim vindication.
Combined remainer vote to be roughly the same. They'll also claim vindication.
Tories & Labour embarrassed. They'll continue to ignore the existence of the election.

And absolutely nothing will change for the June return of the zombie Withdrawal Agreement which again won't pass.

Cue 2nd referendum and "betrayal of democracy" on one side and "That's the real quiz" on the other.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Brexit Party to get somewhere just shy of 30% of vote. They'll claim vindication.
Combined remainer vote to be roughly the same. They'll also claim vindication.
Tories & Labour embarrassed. They'll continue to ignore the existence of the election.

And absolutely nothing will change for the June return of the zombie Withdrawal Agreement which again won't pass.

Cue 2nd referendum and "betrayal of democracy" on one side and "That's the real quiz" on the other.

Think you may have missed a couple of steps.

May resigns
'No deal' Leader for Tory party (Boris, Raab, etc)
More Tory in-fighting
2nd referendum binary decision - 'No deal' or 'Rescind Article 50'

Everyone who likes Binary decisions will be happy too ???

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I didn't make anything disappear (though I'm very sceptical about it) but you certainly can reasonably comment on her opinions, given her statements.

It doesn't change the facts she's highlighted, however.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
About to be made very clear that no form of Brexit has a majority mandate. Be interesting to see how it gets spun this time.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
About to be made very clear that no form of Brexit has a majority mandate. Be interesting to see how it gets spun this time.

Not quite sure how you're trying to spin that, since there certainly seems to no majority to remain?

latest Euro Polls:

[MENTION=36357]Bri[/MENTION]tainelects
May 18

European Parliament voting intention:

BREX: 34% (+34)
LDEM: 17% (+10)
LAB: 15% (-10)
GRN: 11% (+3)
CON: 9% (-15)
CHUK: 4% (+4)
UKIP: 3% (-24)

Remain Parties 32%
Leave Parties : 37%

Obviously those figures (32% and 37%) don't include the Conservative (majority to leave, say 2/3 so add another 6% to Leave figure?) or Labour vote (majority to remain, say 2/3 so add another 10% to the remain figure?)

That would give

Remain : 42%
Leave : 43%

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
About to be made clear that people who want to remain at all costs are very much in the minority.

I don't think we should Remain at all costs. I think Remain is by far the best outcome. There is a difference.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That would give

Remain : 42%
Leave : 43%

What this indicates to me, as I've felt since the referendum, is that the result clearly indicates "Out, but only just out". Which puts us in the EFTA / EEA camp.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here