Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion - The Big Picture

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Provoked by a comment by an ignorant oik on the Guardian website the other day (and a few comments on here), I'm wondering if enough people are seeing the big picture at the Albion.

Tony Bloom has embarked on an immense project with the Albion. It isn't just a small club thinking it's bigger than it is. He's doing something MASSIVE at our club.

You can't understand what he's doing unless you look at the big picture.

You have to factor in all these things:

1) The fantastic stadium
2) Getting the team into the Premier League
3) The top quality training facilities
4) The first class Academy
5) Albion in the Community
6) Stealing England's technical director
7) The housing/IKEA development
8) Having a top flight women's team managed by the former England manager
9) Having an under 23 squad that finished 3rd in Premier League 2
10) All the things that I've forgotten or missed by being an exile . . .

Overall this really is a massive undertaking and an overwhelming declaration of intent that I think too many of our fans don't even appreciate. Tony is taking us higher and higher, no doubt about it. He's not in it just to survive in the Premier League for as long as we can, he wants more. And knowing him, he'll get it, even if we hit a few bumps along the way.

The Albion have always been the most 'interesting' team to follow as we rarely have boring seasons - but it is going to get even more interesting in the years to come.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree. Exciting times. Good thread :)

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
I'm with you on this. TB is not a tactician looking for a quick move to enhance his position/ situation. He is a strategist, with a long term vision and commitment to slowly but surely achieve that goal. and it is a BIG vision that some of us won't 'get' until its upon us. Bring it on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well making up the numbers is not what he’s looking for, of that I’m sure

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
d84f4beb615a070d8488c0ee70ae9de6.jpg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A load of idiots just think he’s made a massive mistake. The we just want to survive crowd must know eventually you go down playing that game. Thank god TB is progressively moving on.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I've felt that all the media shock at us sacking Hughton almost boils down to "they're just Brighton, how can they expect better than 17th place". As the OP points out there is a lot going on behind the scenes that is about progressing the club to something more than just avoiding relegation. I would also add that our transfer spend since promotion is not insignificant.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I still think its amazing we are buying development players for million of pounds.

I am a big Chris Hughton fan and am angry the way Tony has dispatched him, however as you say it makes following the Albion some ride.

I feel he has flung us from safe and stable to risky and gamble, lets see who he signs this summer as well.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I still think its amazing we are buying development players for million of pounds.

I am a big Chris Hughton fan and am angry the way Tony has dispatched him, however as you say it makes following the Albion some ride.

I feel he has flung us from safe and stable to risky and gamble, lets see who he signs this summer as well.

Safe and stable to get relegated next season if he hadn't parted company with CH.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I am sure his blood pressure raised every time he heard “a club at our level”.

I know CH got a lot of criticism for this, but do you really believe that's what he said to the players, behind closed doors. I don't, I think it was his way if handling press interviews, maybe he should have started talking about seagulls following trawlers, might have gained more in the popularity stakes, or got him locked up!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure this will be a great revelation to anyone.

I'm not even sure my opinion is he's made a mistake, just that I don't agree with it. :shrug:

Doesn't mean I don't share his ambition, vision or whatever else.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A load of idiots just think he’s made a massive mistake. The we just want to survive crowd must know eventually you go down playing that game. Thank god TB is progressively moving on.

That's been going on for years since the we're happy with mid table League 1 mediocrity under Dick Tight, some people have no ambition for the club luckily Tony Bloom has

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If you look at TBs appointments as manager:
Poyet - young progressive manager
Oscar Garcia - not exactly old or defensive, also an appointment made when probably caught out by Gus’s rapid descent into incredible asshattery.
Hyppia - failed attempt at young progressives manager.
Hughton - solid get you out the shit appointment.

I think the next appointment will be a reversion to the previous strategy. That Chris got a second year in the prem at all is in that light both loyal and surprising.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Let’s not forget imho one of the best CEO’s in football not mention poaching the FA’s TD, if Bloom thinks sacking Hughton is the right thing to do the good enough for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here