Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] F365 - Middle no longer means mediocrity

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was hoping that there might be a change of emphasis from CH with some better summer recruitment. I think I now realise that that was just me indulging in wishful thinking because Hughton is such a great guy.

It could be argued that watching such negative football is a price worth paying for staying in the Premier League, but when it isn't even successful then things have to change. It's important to keep moving forward, in every sense.

Yes, agree with every word of these bits of your post.

Is the Roar broadcasting on Saturday and are you on it? Tradition demands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Big strategic decision to move from defensive to expansive football if that’s the intention. Both can work but in either case you need the players to execute. Dunk/Duffy/Ryan/Stephens are the prime reasons we are still in this division and CH could have built on them next season. An expansive style is a big risk, certainly more appetising and will need big money thrown at it for a number of key positions. In either case, 19/20 season will be the same target, survival.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Big strategic decision to move from defensive to expansive football if that’s the intention. Both can work but in either case you need the players to execute. Dunk/Duffy/Ryan/Stephens are the prime reasons we are still in this division and CH could have built on them next season. An expansive style is a big risk, certainly more appetising and will need big money thrown at it for a number of key positions. In either case, 19/20 season will be the same target, survival.

I don't think we can suddenly expect to see Duffy bringing the ball out. But elsewhere in the team there's scope for more adventure without entirely abandoning defence as a concept.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
A lot of very valid points being expressed on here, and I'm very much in agreement with most that state that standing still is not an option, either for the fans, or for Tony Bloom.

We always knew Chris had his limitations, my expectation was that this time around he might just evolve and embrace a change of gear after our first season in the Premier League. Evidently this was not the case and my frustration with him was that he should have been able to upwardly adjust, once he had a good window of opportunity to do so.

Inevitably the result was his sacking, anyone who knows Tony could see that coming, our best players were stifled and not improving from their starting positions, as a result mediocrity was exactly what we got.

Our hope is that whoever comes in brings a style of football which is easy on the eye, allows the players to express themselves without defending shackles being enforced upon them, and that allows younger players to become squad members developing them within the first team structure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here