Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we agree on one thing?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In fairness there is one way of finding out - Minimal investment in the squad.

If Big Jurg, Andone and Ali J fire us to 100 points and third in the league - The team was clearly worse under CH.

Naturally the reverse is true, should we happen to be resigned to Championship football before Christmas - They'll be no doubting the team was better under CH.

But won’t you tell us they just needed time to settle and their new found form would have happened anyway?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Regardless of how 2019/20 pans out it neither proves that sacking Hughton was a good decision, nor does it prove it was a bad decision.

If we finish 10th under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 9th under Hughton.

if we go down in 18th position under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 19th under Hughton.

We won't have the benefit of assessing the new manager under the same conditions as Chris Hughton, so there is no way of knowing who would have produced the better outcome.

Agreed. There’s nothing like a good hard stare down the retroscope when we’re blaming or praising Potter for whatever Hughton would or wouldn’t have done in the months ahead.

Let’s also remember that GP has a lot riding on this. His meteoric rise up the ladder from the igloo league to the EPL will either condemn him to ignominy or a swift move to a “proper” club like Chelsea or Arsenal...he’s already shown he has an eye for the main chance. If he does as well with us as I BELIEVE he can we won’t have him for long.

I’m sure uncle Tony has a nice big buyout clause in his contract. He ain’t a divvy when it comes to a contract.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Regardless of how 2019/20 pans out it neither proves that sacking Hughton was a good decision, nor does it prove it was a bad decision.

If we finish 10th under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 9th under Hughton.

if we go down in 18th position under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 19th under Hughton.

We won't have the benefit of assessing the new manager under the same conditions as Chris Hughton, so there is no way of knowing who would have produced the better outcome.

You stole that post from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

If Big Jurg, Andone and Ali J fire us to 100 points and third in the league - The team was clearly worse under CH.

Naturally the reverse is true, should we happen to be resigned to Championship football before Christmas - They'll be no doubting the team was better under CH.

Well we still wouldn’t know for sure Stat. You’ve only got to look at the recent ‘take of two seasons’ to see there is the possibility of either scenario you mention. Of course, if the current squad do start playing a totally different style, and do well for it, then even the most ardent CH advocates might start to wonder.

Either way I’m looking forward to the wars on here. But not half as much as I’m looking forward to the first team panto this Christmas - hoping Duffy will be the dame!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But won’t you tell us they just needed time to settle and their new found form would have happened anyway?

Not really as they were never selected as a triumvirate.
Hopefully they might be played in different positions.
You'd think they will have different responsibilities on the pitch.

I'm not completely delusional, they might all be shown the door before the window slams shut, proving Mr Hughton 100% correct.

As I've said a couple of times (proof that if you say something often enough it seems to be less stooopid, no matter how stooopid it is)
In the long run those 3 players might be considerably better rounded footballers having been Hughtonised and crowbarred into unfamiliar roles, for a season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well we still wouldn’t know for sure Stat. You’ve only got to look at the recent ‘take of two seasons’ to see there is the possibility of either scenario you mention. Of course, if the current squad do start playing a totally different style, and do well for it, then even the most ardent CH advocates might start to wonder.

Either way I’m looking forward to the wars on here. But not half as much as I’m looking forward to the first team panto this Christmas - hoping Duffy will be the dame!!

TBH I loves an NSC war me, but not this time.

I hope, and let's face it, will be quite surprised, if I'm classy enough to hold a 'The King is Dead Long Live the King' position once the football actually starts.

I hope Potter can tick the boxes he's clearly been bought into to tick, evolution not revolution.
I don't want CH to become a source of expletive laden ridicule on here, I hope he's viewed as the man who did the design and built the foundations, on which Potter built the 2 up 2 down semi.

Oh I will caveat Big Jurg in that though.
If he comes good you're all going down. :lol:

Disclaimer - Big Jurg won't come good for that very reason. :down:

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Minimal investment? We've spent loads in the transfer money under Hughton.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Bozza on this I hail you as the expert of the bleeding obvious

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here