Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What style of play and tactics do you want to see?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lots of talk about our negative style and lack of ambition under Hughton.

Plenty of calls to 'have a go at least' in the last few weeks. Many disagreeing, saying we would be picked off a la Fulham.

So, given that we will have the rarity of a new manager and a full close season to prepare, what tactics and formation would you like to see emerge?

I would like to see a 3-5-2 approach as it's more flexible. It would also suit a number of our better players - Bernardo as left wing back; Andone/Locadia as a 2nd striker; Bissouma as the advanced CM in a 3; Dunk's ability to bring the ball out.

I'd like to see us hold a higher line in defence (we couldn't hold a lower one). We may need a new, quick CB to achieve this.

Would like to see the players (existing or new) having the confidence and ability to keep the ball better under pressure. Hoofing the ball away to no-one just keeps us penned in.

The reality is we are going to be defending more than attacking in the PL, but I'd like us to have the pace and direction to be more ambitious when we turn the ball over - being consistently more dangerous on the break.

All easy to say, harder to implement and will need some new blood.

What do others think?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Something that is easy on the eye.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
The most important thing for me is ..... adaptability

To be able to change things to plan B or plan C or plan Z so the team are capable of adapting to the circumstances they find themselves in & respond to it. More flexibility to be able to adapt quickly and snuff out dangers & create our own going the other way.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Bit like Ossie Ardiles did at Spurs

2 at the back , 7 up front and the other one just running around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Certainly 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 when at home to the other 13 teams in 'our' league. Fully understand when playing the top teams the need to be a bit more cautious (as Chris was) but feel we should be more open against the aforementioned group of teams, even if it sees us lose 2 or 3 more games heavily, I still think it would increase the chances of more wins too.

Obviously depends on the new manager and the players at his disposal, but for me and its just my own view, I do think there should be room for 2 strikers in most selections of 10 outfield players. Mitrovic and Dwight Gayle would be the sort of pair that I think could do a job or a similar type of combination.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
3 at the back feels like it would make sense, as we have a number of decent CBs, Bernardo seems like he would suit LWB, and I reckon Solly could make a decent fist at RWB.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Plenty of calls to 'have a go at least' in the last few weeks. Many disagreeing, saying we would be picked off a la Fulham.

So, given that we will have the rarity of a new manager and a full close season to prepare, what tactics and formation would you like to see emerge?

I would like to see a 3-5-2 approach as it's more flexible. It would also suit a number of our better players - Bernardo as left wing back; Andone/Locadia as a 2nd striker; Bissouma as the advanced CM in a 3; Dunk's ability to bring the ball out.

I'd like to see us hold a higher line in defence (we couldn't hold a lower one). We may need a new, quick CB to achieve this.

Would like to see the players (existing or new) having the confidence and ability to keep the ball better under pressure. Hoofing the ball away to no-one just keeps us penned in.

The reality is we are going to be defending more than attacking in the PL, but I'd like us to have the pace and direction to be more ambitious when we turn the ball over - being consistently more dangerous on the break.

What do others think?

What about a 3-4-2-1?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
3 at the back feels like it would make sense, as we have a number of decent CBs, Bernardo seems like he would suit LWB, and I reckon Solly could make a decent fist at RWB.

Mmm, not sure about the Solly bit, but I've been saying for some time I would like someone who might think about 3-5-2 / 3-1-4-2 / 3-4-1-2. But whatever, somebody who can coach our players to string more than 3 passes together would be a start.

DH12

Jan 7, 2016
Southsea

What do others think?

This is a great idea and would please a lot of people if it worked, but the reality is that we don't have the quality (at the moment) to pull of such a formation and set up. A very good transfer window and managerial appointment would change this, but I doubt any manager would be so brave as to put this into action after such a high-profile sacking.

4-3-3 with a few sturdy signings and holding onto our best (Dunk etc) is the best and most realistic outcome we can expect, probably.

Ambition and 3 at the back is the dream.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Our centre backs require us to play a back 4. It plays to their strengths and limits their weaknesses mainly pace

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
4 things for me, if we have those then I think the rest comes

1. The ability to pass the ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt (Ryan exc)
2. Pace throughout the team (Dunk and Duffy reprieved)
3. The ability to be able to recognise when and where to make runs and for others to be aware of that
4. Self belief to be able to give anyone a good game (obv different strategies will play out)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Solid defensively and being difficult to breakdown, but when we win the ball back, attack with greater pace.
Retain the ball better to give the defence a rest while we have the ball.
A midfielder with a decent long shot would be a plus.

Not too fussed about formation, whatever brings the best out of the players and gives us the best chance to win.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Our centre backs require us to play a back 4. It plays to their strengths and limits their weaknesses mainly pace

As the original post says: "I'd like to see us hold a higher line in defence (we couldn't hold a lower one). We may need a new, quick (3rd) CB to achieve this."

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'd wager our possession percentage was the lowest in the league so for a start I'd like to see that rise by 15-20%, the rest will follow and hopefully bring about more chances created (in theory)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I want to see more forward movement off the ball so we're not just constantly passing sideways in our own half because nobody can think of anything else to do with the ball

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always a big fan of a counterattcking goal.

Half the team chock full of better Jamie Murphy's and ill be happy (ish).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't expect us to be like City or Barcelona. Surely a decent balance can be found between defence and attack.

Or at least some sort of pattern of play going forward and not having both wingers as additional full backs !

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As others have said our centre backs probably don't suit a back three sadly and are clearly a strength of the team.

I'd thus look to go 4-1-4-1 and truely only have one purely holding central midfielder as opposed to 2 (or at times arguably 3) lately. It's hardly revolutionary though!

I also liked our fairly lopsided formation in the Champ where one flank is given more license to get forward than the other and the whole team is almost tilted in their lines. I do wonder if Bruno allowed us to do that so well though and it's pretty hard to clearly explain in a short post. Basically it's the forward on the left and winger on the right type of thing though and I think the reason we signed Locadia was to look at it again like the Barnes/Baldock days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here