Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom knows he got his timing wrong.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would have sacked him after the Cardiff game personally. I agree re the comments on the timing of the sacking though, especially as CH didn’t seem to know what was coming from his post Man City comments.

You don’t make millions by caring too much about the niceties though so not sure I’d agree that TB thinks he got his timing wrong.

I am sure the TB may have wanted to sack after Cardiff or sometime before, as he is looking into the future and Hughton couldn't change and was always blaming the LEVELS not what he was doing to change them.

Bloom couldn't give him notice as there was far too much at stake financially he needed Hughton to at least be trying to get results until the last day.

IMO he would have gone earlier, but if it was my cash on the line in risking relegation I would have done it EXACTLY the same Bloom did.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would have sacked him after the Cardiff game personally. I agree re the comments on the timing of the sacking though, especially as CH didn’t seem to know what was coming from his post Man City comments.

You don’t make millions by caring too much about the niceties though so not sure I’d agree that TB thinks he got his timing wrong.

I can’t imagine TB and PB navel gaze on their past decisions.

Instead they’re currently working on a much stronger Albion come August (player management, coaching and transfers).

I assume they’re are uninfluenced by the musings of Henry Winter and his fellow unqualified paragons of virtue.

I’m so glad we have TB and PB at the top.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
that is true but there is no denying that the three performances wolves, spurs and Arsenal had Hughton written all over them. Had he been sacked earlier who knows what would have happened - yes we could have had the 'changed manager bonus' or it all could have gone to pieces. Maybe I am being a 'bit soft' but I like to think keeping us was his legacy. Personally I think his time had come though as he could not adapt i.e. have a plan B or C and think his tactical ability e.g. around subs, was limited. That said who cannot be grateful for the last 4+ years .

The real proof of his ability will show next year and whether we see some exhilarating performances from Locadia, Andone and Ali J or that they really are duds and CH did his best with what he had.

Quality post.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Norwich sacked CH a few games before the end and blew it - we kept the faith and got the last few points needed

Irony to me is if we had gone down - the ideal man for the job would have been bloke WBA are now seemingly about to appoint

Its a funny old world

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Norwich sacked CH a few games before the end and blew it - we kept the faith and got the last few points needed

Irony to me is if we had gone down - the ideal man for the job would have been bloke WBA are now seemingly about to appoint

Its a funny old world

My husband who I consider a very clever man as he chose to marry me ;-) has literally no interest in football, so I normally dismiss anything he has to say on the subject. But he said with about 10 games to go “if you stay up CH would be sacked, but if you go down you will keep him” I scoffed at the idea then. But the smug look he gave when I told him CH had been sacked, means that I will never give him any credit for his prediction.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
The real proof of his ability will show next year and whether we see some exhilarating performances from Locadia, Andone and Ali J or that they really are duds and CH did his best with what he had.

and Propper and Gross, who I believe will show just how creative and dangerous they actually are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
I rarely / never reply on here but after reading this post I just have to say this...
what a complete load of bollocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Its a funny old world

Possibly why TB waited until the end of the season.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wolves and Spurs performances had Hughton written all over them, ie outright FEAR of crossing the halfway line, or of committing anyone forward in support. The handbrake was firmly on. - It was and it nearly produced two away draws which we would have taken at the start of the season

Arsenal we were actually playing with freedom, in the second half as the pressure of needing points had finally been lifted. We actually showed some attacking INTENT for the first time in months, and dare I say it, a bit of confidence going forward. A deserved draw that could even have been a win, had Gross not completely spazzed out with that chance late on. can't disagree with that (other than the word beginning with s)and the biggest indicator of that was Bernardo, against Spurs he ran over the halfway in a break away but stopped against Arsenal he ran forward and was very unlucky

The concern would be that had Hughton stayed on, then once we were needing points again, the fear would return to our play. And with it the handbrake I assume you are talking about next season. I actually agree that it was time to change as he clearly could not evolve. Next season will prove whether it was a good decision.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Only a matter of opinion of course, but I personally found the two seasons 77/78 & 78/79 far more exciting. I think those dates can be included " OUR ENTIRE HISTORY".....?

Perhaps I should have alluded to his various tenures as a manager in the Premier League rather than all his football management career.

Yay, those seasons for me too!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
TB doesn't need to get most on board with his choices. He who pays the piper calls the tune. I get the point about CH's stock between the Cardiff result and the end of the season but the reality is that he has done so much for the club he will always be regarded by the majority of fans as one of, if not, the best managers the club has ever had. His dignity and class is exceptional and we were lucky to have him but that alone does not win football matches.

No one except those involved know what really went on, and even then may have different interpretations and conclusions about the situation.

The ultimate fact is that we shall never know if this is a good or bad choice in terms of what CH may or may not have achieved next season. Even in the worst case scenario that the new guy makes a pigs ear of it all and we do a Huddersfield there is no guarantee that the same situation would not have occurred with CH. TB would still be getting grief if he'd done it earlier. TB would get grief if he did at in a week, a month, next Christmas. If it all goes pear shaped he will get grief whatever he does or does not do. If it goes well then everything will be forgotten and that's the bet he is making.

Blimey HWT agreeing with all your posts :mad:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
There was an obvious and easier moment to part company with the manager and that was either, immediately after the Cardiff home game or early the following morning. The team were in disarray, many fans were angry beyond belief and the manager's personal stock was at its lowest ebb. NSC was in meltdown. Many predicted relegation and saw no hope. It was a poisonous time. We had gone 5 games without scoring, we could barely muster a shot on goal per game and whole sections of the press and neutral fans were labelling us as an ' anti-football ' team. A non-functioning attacking unit.

If Bloom decided around that time that a change was needed ( he may have decided earlier but I doubt it...feelgood factor re Wembley etc ) then he needed to have been decisive then. It would have appeared brutal but not as bad as Monday and the PR damage would have been limited. We were in freefall. Most would have recognised and understood that. Managers get sacked after poor runs and boy, were we in one.

Five games to go called for short term, fresh faces, to give everyone an immediate lift. He had the men there. Sidwell and Rosenior. Fresh out of the side, highly liked and respected. Of course it would have been a gamble but ultimately we needed one more point after the Cardiff game and I am absolutely certain that anyone new would have got that and more.

The decision to continue with the manager allowed CH to resort to the most basic and desperate tactic of all. Effectively boarding up the goal. Putting everyone behind the ball and defending for their lives. This they did well for two games but forced with the prospect of trying to attack Newcastle from the start and with a strangely predictable line-up, they looked clueless. Thankfully, substitutions rescued a point. A point from Arsenal was welcome relief, when the manager and team knew they were safe.

By allowing CH to continue, Bloom allowed his stock to rise again. Fans felt relieved at survival and the dismay, frustration and anger started to drift away. Opinions mellowed. Many who had wanted him gone, softened their view and felt that he should get a bit more time.

Bloom missed his best chance to get most on board with his decision. He didn't decide the manager had to go on Sunday evening or Monday morning, after the City game. He had already made his mind up. The trouble was, he got his timing wrong, maybe swayed by loyalty and respect and the feeling that he still believed CH could grind out a few points. Calculated and cynical, if that was the case. By delaying until the season had run its course, he put himself in the firing line and has now damaged his own reputation.

Thanks for clearing this up Tone, don’t be a stranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think he got the timing right. He gambled that we would drag ourselves across the line but had decided a change was required. Having just made it, Chris deserved the dignity of seeing the job through. Many times you have to appoint mid season - he's chosen the right day

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here