Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom knows he got his timing wrong.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There was an obvious and easier moment to part company with the manager and that was either, immediately after the Cardiff home game or early the following morning. The team were in disarray, many fans were angry beyond belief and the manager's personal stock was at its lowest ebb. NSC was in meltdown. Many predicted relegation and saw no hope. It was a poisonous time. We had gone 5 games without scoring, we could barely muster a shot on goal per game and whole sections of the press and neutral fans were labelling us as an ' anti-football ' team. A non-functioning attacking unit.

If Bloom decided around that time that a change was needed ( he may have decided earlier but I doubt it...feelgood factor re Wembley etc ) then he needed to have been decisive then. It would have appeared brutal but not as bad as Monday and the PR damage would have been limited. We were in freefall. Most would have recognised and understood that. Managers get sacked after poor runs and boy, were we in one.

Five games to go called for short term, fresh faces, to give everyone an immediate lift. He had the men there. Sidwell and Rosenior. Fresh out of the side, highly liked and respected. Of course it would have been a gamble but ultimately we needed one more point after the Cardiff game and I am absolutely certain that anyone new would have got that and more.

The decision to continue with the manager allowed CH to resort to the most basic and desperate tactic of all. Effectively boarding up the goal. Putting everyone behind the ball and defending for their lives. This they did well for two games but forced with the prospect of trying to attack Newcastle from the start and with a strangely predictable line-up, they looked clueless. Thankfully, substitutions rescued a point. A point from Arsenal was welcome relief, when the manager and team knew they were safe.

By allowing CH to continue, Bloom allowed his stock to rise again. Fans felt relieved at survival and the dismay, frustration and anger started to drift away. Opinions mellowed. Many who had wanted him gone, softened their view and felt that he should get a bit more time.

Bloom missed his best chance to get most on board with his decision. He didn't decide the manager had to go on Sunday evening or Monday morning, after the City game. He had already made his mind up. The trouble was, he got his timing wrong, maybe swayed by loyalty and respect and the feeling that he still believed CH could grind out a few points. Calculated and cynical, if that was the case. By delaying until the season had run its course, he put himself in the firing line and has now damaged his own reputation.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As regards to premier league safety he got his timing right surely? That’s been proved right..whereas if he had sacked Chris when you suggest the outcome is unknown

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We don't know the conversation he had with CH so not sure why everyone getting so vexed about the timing.

Bigger issue is who he wants to replace him with really

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would have sacked him after the Cardiff game personally. I agree re the comments on the timing of the sacking though, especially as CH didn’t seem to know what was coming from his post Man City comments.

You don’t make millions by caring too much about the niceties though so not sure I’d agree that TB thinks he got his timing wrong.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is all well argued and I agree with a lot of that. But don't forget, we have survived since losing to Cardiff because they then lost to Fulham and Palace. They could easily have won one of those. Can you imagine the fallout if he had sacked Hughton after Cardiff and then we had gone down? Because by then it wasn't really in our hands.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Only as a PR exercise the timing looks harsh.

In reality he got it completely right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Did he get it wrong those 2 away points at Aresenal & Wolves were vital and they were pure Hughton.

his sacking would always be divisive based on such a good record but mixed with the more recent poor football.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spuds, wolves and Arse, we got 2 points, it saved us. I don't think anyone would have done better in the time frame than CH did.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This post is worthy of the revival of this dead meme:

1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There was an obvious and easier moment to part company with the manager and that was either, immediately after the Cardiff home game or early the following morning.

Stopped reading here. We earned 3 points from that point on and stayed up by 2.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I think that had we been relegated he may well have stuck with him as CH knows how to get a team promoted from the championship. The fact we stayed up meant he had a tough decision to make and he like many others couldn't face another season of what we have just had to endure so end of the seaosn was probably the right time. ITs never a good time to sack a manager who has given the club so much so sometimes you just have to do it regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

We move on and look forward to a new manager, hopefully new signings and a new season with a fresh start however good or bad it turns out to be.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did he get it wrong those 2 away points at Aresenal & Wolves were vital and they were pure Hughton.

his sacking would always be divisive based on such a good record but mixed with the more recent poor football.
Arsenal we could have lost 5-0 and still stayed up we were already safe.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why do people assume they know what other people are thinking? :shrug:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think that after the Arsenal game would have been the time to announce that the club and Chris would be parting company at the end of the season. I do think Chris deserved a proper goodbye and a show of appreciation for what he has done for the club.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Spuds, wolves and Arse, we got 2 points, it saved us. I don't think anyone would have done better in the time frame than CH did.
We got nothing at spuds, 1 point at wolves and arsenal didn't matter.

I am sure I read somewhere that Bloom thought about sacking him after the Cardiff game but decided it would be better to stay with him until the end of the season. As we stayed up, He was clearly correct.

Personally, I would have sacked him after the Cardiff game and hoped for the usual 2 game bounce when a manager is sacked.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ok folks....hands up.... I should have titled it....." did Bloom get his timing wrong? ".....( I'm definitely not a mind reader )

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here