Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom knows he got his timing wrong.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Only a matter of opinion of course, but I personally found the two seasons 77/78 & 78/79 far more exciting. I think those dates can be included " OUR ENTIRE HISTORY".....?

Perhaps I should have alluded to his various tenures as a manager in the Premier League rather than all his football management career.

1996/97 was more exciting for me.

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014
The Newcastle game sealed it for me.
CH tried something new in the 1st half and nobody knew what they were doing with players out of position and looking like they had no idea what the game plan was. 2nd half he reverted back to his tried and tested setup, and we secured that vital point. Fair play to CH for realising and swapping it at half time, but for me, it showed he doesn't really have many tactical options, and that we need a manager who can set us up not to just park the bus with an isolated Murray up front

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He is entitled indeed to refresh the management, and you're entitled to be pleased to see a good, honest man be sacked.
There are plenty of good, honest men out there. One of them has had the good fortune to have had an on the whole successful few years managing the albion.

Whilst I can feel a bit of end of era sadness, that good man has left us a great legacy and that is all we can expect or hope for.

I would have hated his era to end in relegation and recriminations - it was the right time for him to go.

:albion2:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good to see the Argus acknowledging this (presuming its correct).

Particularly since they have been branding idiots any fans questioning results, performances, tactics, manager, players, board and recruitment for months.

I'm guessing they won't call Tony Bloom a naive, impatient, unrealistic, delusional fool.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think also Hughton's constant talking down of his squad and bigging up of the opposition, even Huddersfield was wearing very thin. Bloom is a winner and this must have been alien to him.

‘These are a very good side’. Every, single press conference. Without fail.

No Chris, they’re actually not. Not all of them.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If TB cared much for public opinion, he would have sacked him after the Cardiff game, or even after the Wolves game despite the point being useful. General opinion from within and from the outside looking in would have been more understanding then.

Point being, he doesn't. The decision now has caused severe backlash in the media, and Hughton himself has left with stock massively high, despite being the very man in charge of the football we have been so heavily criticised for throughout the season.

These sympathy votes from within are starting to get tedious and leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling, as if CH is the embodiment of BHA and that we have punted him out on the streets. Like I said, his stock is high, he has the football world sympathising for him, he has received a massive payout to add to his already substantial wealth and will have clubs lining up for him.

Let's wish Chris well and start thinking about us for **** sake.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are plenty of good, honest men out there. One of them has had the good fortune to have had an on the whole successful few years managing the albion.

Whilst I can feel a bit of end of era sadness, that good man has left us a great legacy and that is all we can expect or hope for.

I would have hated his era to end in relegation and recriminations - it was the right time for him to go.

:albion2:

If he was going to be sacked the timing was right.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As an aside, I see you made an appearance on on SSN late yesterday evening. :thumbsup:

thanks...and BBC Breakfast the previous day and Five Live this morning. I'm on the TV more times than Farage at present, and talking as much shite as him too.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
They weren’t though were they? We’d have stayed up without those points, which looked the most likely outcome as soon as Babel’s shot hit the Cardiff net.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There was an obvious and easier moment to part company with the manager and that was either, immediately after the Cardiff home game or early the following morning. The team were in disarray, many fans were angry beyond belief and the manager's personal stock was at its lowest ebb. NSC was in meltdown. Many predicted relegation and saw no hope. It was a poisonous time. We had gone 5 games without scoring, we could barely muster a shot on goal per game and whole sections of the press and neutral fans were labelling us as an ' anti-football ' team. A non-functioning attacking unit.

If Bloom decided around that time that a change was needed ( he may have decided earlier but I doubt it...feelgood factor re Wembley etc ) then he needed to have been decisive then. It would have appeared brutal but not as bad as Monday and the PR damage would have been limited. We were in freefall. Most would have recognised and understood that. Managers get sacked after poor runs and boy, were we in one.

Five games to go called for short term, fresh faces, to give everyone an immediate lift. He had the men there. Sidwell and Rosenior. Fresh out of the side, highly liked and respected. Of course it would have been a gamble but ultimately we needed one more point after the Cardiff game and I am absolutely certain that anyone new would have got that and more.

The decision to continue with the manager allowed CH to resort to the most basic and desperate tactic of all. Effectively boarding up the goal. Putting everyone behind the ball and defending for their lives. This they did well for two games but forced with the prospect of trying to attack Newcastle from the start and with a strangely predictable line-up, they looked clueless. Thankfully, substitutions rescued a point. A point from Arsenal was welcome relief, when the manager and team knew they were safe.

By allowing CH to continue, Bloom allowed his stock to rise again. Fans felt relieved at survival and the dismay, frustration and anger started to drift away. Opinions mellowed. Many who had wanted him gone, softened their view and felt that he should get a bit more time.

Bloom missed his best chance to get most on board with his decision. He didn't decide the manager had to go on Sunday evening or Monday morning, after the City game. He had already made his mind up. The trouble was, he got his timing wrong, maybe swayed by loyalty and respect and the feeling that he still believed CH could grind out a few points. Calculated and cynical, if that was the case. By delaying until the season had run its course, he put himself in the firing line and has now damaged his own reputation.

Totally disagree. he got the timing right. If he had acted after the Cardiff game, my betting is that we would be anticipating life in the championship next season.
It would have destroyed whatever confidence there was left and put us in freefall.

And I doubt very much whether he would take the short-term feelings of NSC or the fans in to consideration. He would do what is best for the club in his view as its chair and a businessman. The fact that he is a fan as well will colour that in that he will also care about how well we are playing and entertaining.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If TB cared much for public opinion, he would have sacked him after the Cardiff game, or even after the Wolves game despite the point being useful. General opinion from within and from the outside looking in would have been more understanding then.

Point being, he doesn't. The decision now has caused severe backlash in the media, and Hughton himself has left with stock massively high, despite being the very man in charge of the football we have been so heavily criticised for throughout the season.

These sympathy votes from within are starting to get tedious and leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling, as if CH is the embodiment of BHA and that we have punted him out on the streets. Like I said, his stock is high, he has the football world sympathising for him, he has received a massive payout to add to his already substantial wealth and will have clubs lining up for him.

Let's wish Chris well and start thinking about us for **** sake.

Media needs to creat controversey. Either 1 of 3 things will happen with a new manager, 1) we crash and burn, 2) stay the same or 3) improve. If its 1 then TB will be slated. If its 2 then this whole 'noise' will be pretty much forgotten and of its 3, TB will be a 'inteligent Chairman' or some such and be loudly lauded.

Noone knows right now which it will be. But we, as fans hope for 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here