Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Unfair Criticism of Scouting Team

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Normally more of a browser than a poster on here but I have had enough of people criticising our recruitment team over the last 24 hours.

Pascal Gross - £2.7 Million (Probably worth £15-20 million)
Maty Ryan - £5.4 million (Probably worth £10-15 million)

Propper - People were saying is the most skilled player in our squad two months ago
Bissouma - We all know how good he can/could be
Bernardo - A top 10 quality RB
Andone - I honestly don't understand the critisicm of, unfair to judge until had a run of games against mid table opposition with an actual CAM playing

IMO the only players that haven't been impressive are Jahanbaksh and Locadia who were both playing in their own third for the majority.

Also we were all begging the recruitment team to sign a striker in January 2018 and they had to sign one simply to keep the fans on their side. They went for Locadia who I can't remember the last time he played as number 9. Can anyone actually name a striker aside from Rondon and perhaps Mitrovic who has been a consistent striker for a bottom half premier league team?

Jahanbaksh is therefore the only player I can really see who has flopped and he put in a MOTM performance against this Ajax team last year. Leicester who signed Kante and Vardy were also going for him.

If anything the mistakes in Jahanbaksh and possibly Locadia are most certainly out weighed by the positives.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even the great Sir Alex Ferguson signed some right duffers in his time, as did Wenger. It's not a perfect science.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I do remember in the Championship the never ending lauding of our recruitment team. The only duffer we caught for about 3 seasons was Elvis Manu.

I'd agree that the only two real big money flops have been Jahanbakhsh and Locadia. Izquierdo and Andone have been hit and miss, but I would like to see what they can do in a less defence focused side.

Mainly hoping that with Ashworth (and Potter...?) we might see one or two young British talents come in, or God forbid... one of our own U23s get given a go!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Normally more of a browser than a poster on here but I have had enough of people criticising our recruitment team over the last 24 hours.

Propper - People were saying is the most skilled player in our squad two months ago
Andone - I honestly don't understand the critisicm of, unfair to judge until had a run of games against mid table opposition with an actual CAM playing

IMO the only players that haven't been impressive are Jahanbaksh and Locadia who were both playing in their own third for the majority.

Also we were all begging the recruitment team to sign a striker in January 2018 and they had to sign one simply to keep the fans on their side. They went for Locadia who I can't remember the last time he played as number 9. Can anyone actually name a striker aside from Rondon and perhaps Mitrovic who has been a consistent striker for a bottom half premier league team?

Jahanbaksh is therefore the only player I can really see who has flopped and he put in a MOTM performance against this Ajax team last year. Leicester who signed Kante and Vardy were also going for him.

If anything the mistakes in Jahanbaksh and possibly Locadia are most certainly out weighed by the positives.

You are right and you should post more often.

I wouldn't even bet against the possibility of Locadia and Jahanbaksh coming good under a different regime. Who knows?

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I feel our attacking signings will come good when they get a good run of games and we start playing more attacking football , even Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo et al will look shit if their teams played defensively game in game out.
How are players like AJ, Locadia even Bissouma going to get confidence if they get played 1/2/3, getting better by the game then suddenly get dropped again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do remember in the Championship the never ending lauding of our recruitment team. The only duffer we caught for about 3 seasons was Elvis Manu.

I'd agree that the only two real big money flops have been Jahanbakhsh and Locadia. Izquierdo and Andone have been hit and miss, but I would like to see what they can do in a less defence focused side.

Mainly hoping that with Ashworth (and Potter...?) we might see one or two young British talents come in, or God forbid... one of our own U23s get given a go!

Re-writing history. We couldn't get a LB for three seasons in a row having to make do with loans (albeit very good loans) and who could forget Holla, O'Grady, Dobbie and other duffers.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Izzy was one of our best players last year , he got injured during the World Cup and basically has been injured all season

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

...Paul Winstanley makes a rare foray onto NSC, in between peering out the window to check Tony isn't pulling into the carpark.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Re-writing history. We couldn't get a LB for three seasons in a row having to make do with loans (albeit very good loans) and who could forget Holla, O'Grady, Dobbie and other duffers.

And then the current recruitment team arrived, alongside Kayal in the first transfer window. And then a left back that's still with us, plus also Liam, Uwe, Tomer, Connor, Wee Jamie, Bobby, and a few others I've forgotten. The next window saw Knockaert, Sidwell, and the briefly successful Skalak. Then Duffy and Norwood. I could go on ...

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Think it's evident that risk free signings mean you pay inflated prices. Players like Hemed, Kayal and Murphy could've suffered the same fate. For every couple of good signings there's a bad one at any club

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Ok let me clarify. Winstanley era recruitment team. They did an excellent job in the Championship, and that is not rewriting anything.

Premier League recruitment has been hit and miss, but there have been hits as well as some very expensive misses.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And then the current recruitment team arrived, alongside Kayal in the first transfer window. And then a left back that's still with us, plus also Liam, Uwe, Tomer, Connor, Wee Jamie, Bobby, and a few others I've forgotten. The next window saw Knockaert, Sidwell, and the briefly successful Skalak. Then Duffy and Norwood. I could go on ...

Good point.

But ironically, I would think it is almost easier to recruit when you have less money and a smaller pool, than when you have money to burn (which arguably has been proved in terms of AJ and Locadia)....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here