Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Its Tony Blooms Blue & White Army

Pj2000

Jan 2, 2012
Worthing
I will support Tony Bloom through thick and thin ..... Its this Guy who's family have supported this club and he has what it takes to keep us in this league and take us into Europe ..... Without Tony forget it .........

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I will support Tony Bloom through thick and thin ..... Its this Guy who's family have supported this club and he has what it takes to keep us in this league and take us into Europe ..... Without Tony forget it .........

When did Tony become extremely wealthy?

I take it, it was after the days when we were having a whip round for the manager to be able to actually BUY a player. And after we were written to asking for money, any money to Save Our Seagulls. £100 for a letter of thanks, or £250 for our name to be on a seat at "Falmer" when we get there.

Asking for a friend.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

I take it, it was after the days when we were having a whip round for the manager to be able to actually BUY a player. And after we were written to asking for money, any money to Save Our Seagulls. £100 for a letter of thanks, or £250 for our name to be on a seat at "Falmer" when we get there.

Asking for a friend.

This may help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bloom

D

Deleted member 2719

PJ you're my kind of man or girl or transgender....................:banana::banana::clap:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Asking for a friend.

We’ll never know, no matter how nosey we are.

Contrary to popular belief, his poker winnings didn’t really contribute to his alleged billionaire status.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I'm team Bloom too. No Albion fan could fail to be.

But he did stand by while others (Knight, Pinnock, Perry in particular) did the VERY hard yards in seeing off Archer, surviving Gillingham and spinning out the shoestring that was Withdean. I don't believe we would ever have financed Falmer without him, given the global crash, but let's also NEVER forget the contribution of those that preceded him in the Boardroom. Bloom's timing was clinical. As ever.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Wasn't his uncle Ray on the board supporting Archer and Bellotti?

Also asking for a friend.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

But he did stand by while others (Knight, Pinnock, Perry in particular) did the VERY hard yards in seeing off Archer, surviving Gillingham and spinning out the shoestring that was Withdean. I don't believe we would ever have financed Falmer without him, given the global crash, but let's also NEVER forget the contribution of those that preceded him in the Boardroom. Bloom's timing was clinical. As ever.

In fairness, Dick Knight admits (in his rather well-written book) that TB had put as much as he had into the club before he became chairman, and mentions a figure of £2m, which grew even before he took over as chairman. That's not exactly 'standing by'

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In fairness, Dick Knight admits (in his rather well-written book) that TB had put as much as he had into the club before he became chairman, and mentions a figure of £2m, which grew even before he took over as chairman. That's not exactly 'standing by'

A very fair point. I don't believe Tony would ever have let us go to the wall. But I know from first hand that there were a number of the early years at Withdean when we were mighty close (wages in severe doubt; creditors threatening legal action etc.)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
A very fair point. I don't believe Tony would ever have let us go to the wall. But I know from first hand that there were a number of the early years at Withdean when we were mighty close (wages in severe doubt; creditors threatening legal action etc.)

Agreed! I guess that he would help us tick along but wisely there was no point putting in "mega" bucks until we had secured a future, as in permission for new stadium.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm team Bloom too plus I wanted the managerial change, still felt it wasn't handled too well and the timing unless they have someone lined up was poor. However, it is done now and raking over it will do no one any good. It's all about the future now and in particular the coming transfer window which along with the new manager will be pivotal to the next 5 years IMO.

I admire Bloom's courage in making the decision which was hard and he cannot be 100% sure it'll be the right one but for us to progress I think it needed to be done and if he gets it right could lead to mid table security, a lowering of the age of the team, more exciting football and maybe a shot at building something really exciting...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Despite being upset yesterday when I heard the CH was sacked, there is no one I would prefer to have running our club. I have no doubt that he made the decision on what he thinks is best for the club.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I read that last sentence as cynical, Freudian slip!

D

Deleted member 2719

Bloom is looking to the future and the bigger picture.

Has the club developed each year under his chairmanship?

Well, there is your answer.

My signature for years had Blooming marvellous scenes for a reason.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes, the Virgo money from Celtic helped to pay the Capital Gains tax we had to pay from the Goldstone ground due to the delay in getting a new stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here