Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 7 U23's players released, 5 offered new deals

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Barclay is too old (in football terms) to be considered one for the future.
Not personally surprised that the rest have been let go.
Cochrane and the Davies boys look good prospects.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was a bit surprised to see both the Bens (Barclay and Hall) go. Hope all the lads who've been 'let go' find clubs.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
No great surprises there really. Would like to see Cochrane get a league 1 loan to see how he deals with the rigours of full time mens football.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Something is wrong with system or recruitment. Can understand few under 18 making it but odd that Kerr and Hall for eg have never got near first team. Both were 20 plus when arrived with good backgrounds . Hall had already played 18 games for Motherwells first team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think the decisions are spot on based on what I’ve seen.

Cochrane particularly looks very promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought Ben Hall had a terrific spell at Newport ?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Exactly as you'd expect. Some potentially decent league 1 players there signed when we were in the Championship, to try and develop into Championship players.

Have to be ruthless if they likely won't make the league below our's, then better to let them go where they'll get game time and have an outside chance. More game time and support for those who have a better potential to make it.

Wish them all the best of luck but all look like sensible moves to me from the little I've seen.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Always a sad day to see the development players that have been released, I always enjoy watching the U23 and Sussex Senior Cup games all of Ben Barclay, Owen Moore, Joe Tomlinson, Josh Kerr, Ben Hall, Stefan Ljubicic and Billy Collings are fantastic players. I hope they get offered contracts and can get to play professional football if that is their dream.

I have seen them all play well and some lucky teams will pick up some talented and committed players. Good Luck and thanks for wearing the Albion kit with pride.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Ashworth would have had a big say in who stayed & who he felt was not good enough. We are trying to get prem standard players through the system and he knows more about it than any of us so have to bow to his judgement.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of my top hopes & expectations of our new gaffer would be to give youth players a good go.

This was one of Hughton's biggest flaws in my view. Think we saw Gyokeres ( a full Sweden international mind) a handful of times as a sub, and that's about it.

The Premier League is such a tough, unforgiving environment to put youth players into though, they really do have to be absolutely outstanding to even get a sniff, and that's certainly not unique to us.

Hopefully the ones kept on can go out on loan into the EFL, toughen up, hone their skills then come back and get themselves onto the fringes of the first team. Like you and anyone else, I'd love to see some of our youngsters coming through to the 1st team, after all, thats the whole point of this huge investment in the academy. But the standards at this level are prodigious and the pressure on the manager to get results in every game is immense. He'll have to be something very special to make it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are looking for the best of the best and its inevitable that a lot won't make the grade. That's football I'm afraid. Good luck to the lads let go and we have cleared the decks for the first Ashcroft intake, lets see if he can improve our piss poor record of developing players over the years.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Other clubs are blooding their youngsters in the Premier League - why can't we?

Palace - Aaron Wan-Bissaka (age 21, 42 appearances)
Burnley - Dwight McNeil - (Age 19, 22 appearances)
Leicester - Wilfred Ndidi (age 22, 87 appearances)
Bournemouth - David Brooks (age 21, 30 appearances, 7 goals)
Fulham - Ryan Sessegnon (age 18, 101 apperances)

etc.

Do not forget

Bissouma 22

Bernardo 24 (today)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of my top hopes & expectations of our new gaffer would be to give youth players a good go.

This was one of Hughton's biggest flaws in my view. Think we saw Gyokeres ( a full Sweden international mind) a handful of times as a sub, and that's about it.

Isn't Jordan Davies the new Gareth Bale?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here