Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Managerial Candidates - The Outsiders

Which would you be satisfied with as new manager?

• Stevie G

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • Davy Moyes

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Tony Pulis

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Steve Cotterill

• Nuno Santo

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Bruno

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Claudio Ranieri

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Hope Powell

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Nigel Adkins

• Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 71 48.6%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • AVB

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Lee Johnson

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Pablo Machin

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Big Sam

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Ralph Ragnick

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Mickey Adams

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Simon Grayson

• Paul Clement

• Martin Jol

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Malky Mackay

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Benitez would be my 1st pick, then Gerrard. Weirdly David Moyes would be OK if we were looking to finish between 12th-14th. I think he could pull it off.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Erik ten Hag of AJAX

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I would love it if Ralf Rangnick was our next boss. An absolutely stunning record in German football, plays good football, brings through youth players, and improves established players.
If we could get him, I would still be smiling at Christmas, unfortunately, I can’t see Leipzig letting him go anywhere, but, if he fancied a new challenge-???

I suggested his name on the previous thread. Afaik, next season he's moving back to the director of football type role he was doing previously. Nagelsmann is moving from Hoffenheim as head coach for next season. Rangnick returned to the head coach role after Hassenhüttl walked before the start of this season when the plan to replace him with Nagelsmann for next season leaked.

I'd be happy with him. Has a reputation for being an astute coach with an impressive CV. Given his previous links to Brighton, it 'could' arouse his interest. Way better option than the usual suspects on the manager-go-round circuit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suggested his name on the previous thread. Afaik, next season he's moving back to the director of football type role he was doing previously. Nagelsmann is moving from Hoffenheim as head coach for next season. Rangnick returned to the head coach role after Hassenhüttl walked before the start of this season when the plan to replace him with Nagelsmann for next season leaked.

I'd be happy with him. Has a reputation for being an astute coach with an impressive CV. Given his previous links to Brighton, it 'could' arouse his interest. Way better option than the usual suspects on the manager-go-round circuit.
We obviously dealt with him in the Bernardo transfer as well, so he'll be on first name terms with Deputy Barber, or Winstano.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I would love it if Ralf Rangnick was our next boss. An absolutely stunning record in German football, plays good football, brings through youth players, and improves established players.
If we could get him, I would still be smiling at Christmas, unfortunately, I can’t see Leipzig letting him go anywhere, but, if he fancied a new challenge-???

He'll be vacant soon as Nagelsmann is taking over, and interestingly he studied for one year at the University of Sussex and played non-league footy for Southwick FC during his time here, so he knows the area already! (Albeit many years ago)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
More on Ralph Rangnick from a few years back. He's a fan and Dan Ashworth rates him. Get him in now. :D The second article suggests we approached him after Gus departed.

I've copy & pasted the second article as the link just returns to the homepage.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/footbal...ut-is-he-the-right-man_sto5881006/story.shtml

Ralf Rangnick explains the philosophy behind Red Bull’s investment in Salzburg and Leipzig
By Ben Lyttleton

1st March 2015

Ralf Rangnick chuckles at the memory of the moment he fell in love with English football. He was a 21-year-old student on a year abroad at Sussex University, as part of his degree in English and PE at Stuttgart University. On 10 November 1979 he went to the old Goldstone Ground and watched Brighton & Hove Albion lose 4-1 to Liverpool. “I remember the Brighton fans singing, ‘Seagulls! Seagulls!’ despite the score-line,” Rangnick said. “And the Liverpool fans responded: ‘Seaweed! Seaweed!’ Scouse humour, huh?”

Rangnick played for the local non-league side Southwick FC and before his first game, against Steyning Town, he turned up two hours before kick-off ready for a warm-up routine. His teammates appeared 10 minutes before kick-off. After his debut, he ended up in Chichester hospital with three broken ribs and a punctured lung, but even that did not put him off. He played 11 times for Southwick, a short period that moulded him as a coach. “The most important thing for me was the amount of coaching we did on the pitch,” he said. “There was hardly a situation where we didn’t spur each other on, doing some coaching among ourselves or motivating each other. That was totally inspirational for me.”

Rangnick took the lessons into his coaching career, which began as a youth coach at Stuttgart. He first appeared in the German consciousness after appearing on the TV show Das Aktuelle Sportstudio on 19 December 1998, talking up the merits of a flat back four in front of a magnetic tactics board. He earned the nickname ‘Professor’, but it was not a complimentary one. At the time he was head coach of second division side SSV Ulm and as most teams then played three at the back, he was dismissed as an eccentric without a successful playing career behind him.

In the 2014-15 Bundesliga season, coaches like Roger Schmidt (Bayer Leverkusen) and Marcus Gisdol (Hoffenheim) were feted for their tactical smartness: it was no coincidence that they shared the same coaching instructor as Rangnick, Helmut Gross, at the Württemberg academy. “He was years ahead of his time, talking about ball-oriented spatial coverage and pressing opponents back in the mid-1980s,” said Rangnick. “The next step is to transfer those theories onto your players.”

When SSV Ulm won promotion, other clubs took Rangnick seriously and in 1999 he was appointed by Stuttgart. He flopped there: in part, because he was not used to working under a sports director. It was a similar story at Hannover 96 and Schalke, but everything changed when he took charge at third-division Hoffenheim in 2006. This time, he had control of the club from top to bottom and his time there – consecutive promotions and consolidation in the Bundesliga – was the most successful of his career.

He resigned in January 2011 and was all set to take a year out before Schalke persuaded him back three months later: he went on to win the German Cup and a place in the Champions League semi-final (beating Internazionale 7-3 on aggregate in the quarter-final) that season. He left in September, citing exhaustion, and has since admitted he should have seen out that sabbatical year in full.

That did not put off a succession of English clubs – including West Brom, Everton, and Brighton – getting in touch with him, but with no luck. In summer 2012, Rangnick was drinking coffee with a friend when he received a phone call from Gerard Houllier. “Hi Ralf, I’m just with Dietrich Mateschitz [the founder and owner of the Red Bull energy drink company] and we wondered if you were around,” said the Frenchman. “We’re going to jump in a helicopter and visit you this afternoon.”

Rangnick was persuaded to join Mateschitz’s team, and since then, he has been sports director of Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig. The two ‘brand-owned’ clubs have caused controversy, for differing reasons, in their respective regions but the switch upstairs has suited the German. He still thinks like a coach, but having a certain distance allows more clear-headed decision-making. “I’m convinced that emotional thinking, either in the euphoria of success or crisis, causes the biggest mistakes in football. Coaching brings you to those extremes every day.”

Rangnick certainly looks healthy when we meet on a wintry afternoon in Zurich. He is about to address delegates at the International Football Arena conference, hosted at Fifa House, where he would explain his past, his philosophy and his future. He may still love the English game, but a job coaching there seems increasingly unlikely now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here