Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If he's a co-owner of another league club (Salford City) would he still be allowed to manage a second club due to possible conflict of interest ?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
NO.

Getting rid of someone who's stopped being able to do the job and bringing in someone else to do it are two separate things. The "who would you replace him with" argument is no reason at all to persist with something that's not working. Any other chairman in the league would have sacked CH after Bournemouth. The dressing room would have further fractured, attack minded players would have refused to join us and we'd have spent the season in 19th, one point above Sheffield United with Murray our top scorer on 4. Frankly the next guy can't do much worse than that.

You're being far too logical.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Here’s my list of reasons why:

Untested

Uncharismatic - unlikely to be able to motivate

Despite his career he isn’t going to attract named players [unless he gets his old pals out of retirement]

When I hear him speak all I hear are modern day football and already overused and tired vernacular - for example saying ‘football club’ after the name of every team referenced because in some way you think it makes you sound clever - it doesn’t it makes you sound thick and incapable of independent thought.

Lack of all round gravitas.

Sure he may be a sound chap, he’s a solid family man, he manages the England Women’s team, and frankly for me that’s his level.

CH was a nice chap but I damn well bet if you ****ed up he let you know about it in no uncertain terms.

Neville is about as able to rinse someone out for a shit performance as I am. And don’t get me started on how he got so many England caps.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on Neville.

I haven't read the thread back so I'm not sure if there is more in this rumour.

If we've sacked CH to bring in this dullard my Albion mojo will be rock bottom.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Misquoting me, responding to the comment regarding lack of top level experience not being an issue......

More of a generalisation than Neville specific.
[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I thought you meant Neville.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Here’s my list of reasons why:

Untested

Uncharismatic - unlikely to be able to motivate

Despite his career he isn’t going to attract named players [unless he gets his old pals out of retirement]

When I hear him speak all I hear are modern day football and already overused and tired vernacular - for example saying ‘football club’ after the name of every team referenced because in some way you think it makes you sound clever - it doesn’t it makes you sound thick and incapable of independent thought.

Lack of all round gravitas.

Sure he may be a sound chap, he’s a solid family man, he manages the England Women’s team, and frankly for me that’s his level.

CH was a nice chap but I damn well bet if you ****ed up he let you know about it in no uncertain terms.

Neville is about as able to rinse someone out for a shit performance as I am. And don’t get me started on how he got so many England caps.

This in spades.

He hasn't even managed at club level, never once have I heard him say anything insightful as an analyst and he strikes me as a softly spoken dullard stealing a wage.

Many of us, myself included, who didn't want CH out but understood the decision on the basis of ambition will immediately join the staunch CH defenders if the club appoint this clown.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Please f.u.c.k .i .n .g NO

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Haven’t read this thread, but can someone tell me if there is anything on it that isn’t wild speculation about someone’s perceived abilities from people who have absolutely no knowledge of them?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Haven’t read this thread, but can someone tell me if there is anything on it that isn’t wild speculation about someone’s perceived abilities from people who have absolutely no knowledge of them?

It’s all that mate. Dont bother.

“Phil Neville is shit...because I don’t know what I’m talking about..I know” is about the size of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Well it desperately needs more fans who know his abilities to lay them out for us, want to have a go? Or does it all boil down to trust TB he knows what he’s doing?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mikel Arteta - Never managed, didn't play for a successful team.....has cool name

Phil Neville - Managed the England womens team, played for a successful team.....is called Phil.

I can see why people prefer Mikel. (a name suggested many times over)

I personally don't want Phil Neville in as much as I pretty much have my heart set on Potter but it's funny how personality/impression given to the public really effects our judgement on whether they could do a job or not. He could be a brilliant tactician but because he seems a bit wet and is called Phil, it is assumed he is cack.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
not phill Neville. please no. I'd prefer Nevil Southall

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

It’s all that mate. Dont bother.

“Phil Neville is shit...because I don’t know what I’m talking about..I know” is about the size of it.

Isn’t that what being a football fan is about? Frankly I’m happy respecting anyone’s opinion as it’s personal to them, doesn’t mean I have to agree with them though does it?

Tell me - are you both [MENTION=5076]Bevendean Hillbilly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] happy at the prospect? Brimming with enthusiasm? Ecstatic and eager for the season to begin if he were appointed?

God, I feel ill.

I'd sooner have an inanimate carbon rod in charge of the team.

It would have 100x the personality.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mikel Arteta - Never managed, didn't play for a successful team.....has cool name

Phil Neville - Managed the England womens team, played for a successful team.....is called Phil.

I can see why people prefer Mikel. (a name suggested many times over)

I personally don't want Phil Neville in as much as I pretty much have my heart set on Potter but it's funny how personality/impression given to the public really effects our judgement on whether they could do a job or not. He could be a brilliant tactician but because he seems a bit wet and is called Phil, it is assumed he is cack.

He has absolutely no track record as a league manager so no surprise that people are wary of him taking over here. Played for a big team? Means absolutely **** all when discussing whether he’d make a good manager. Bobby Charlton springs to mind.

He could be brilliant I agree but I really really don’t want him as our manager, and I’d rather it wasn’t us who took the risk. Try starting out in the lower leagues as most managers do.

Maybe he’s been brilliant with the women’s team but I confess to being totally ignorant and disinterested in women’s football and rugby :shrug:

I’m not calling for Arteta either but I reckon he’d be less of a risk as he has at least been coaching the best club team in the world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here