Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Eddie Howe won't leave Bournemouth for anyone except a top six side. Why would he?

And even then he might not like to give up the autonomy he has at Bournemouth. He more or less runs the football side from top to bottom.

I think Phil Neville might surprise a few people. He was an impressive Everton captain, immersing himself fully in everything Goodison and refusing to discuss Manchester United. And don't forget he coached at Valencia under Nuno Espiritu Santo before his miserable brother arrived there.

Arteta for me, though. Intelligent, knows the Premier League and we might get Phil Foden on loan.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He tried it before with Burnley and failed.

Bournemouth were League One, and had only just been promoted from League Two, with Burnley being a Championship side chasing promotion to the Premier League. It was very much a case of career progression at the time.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Surely surely surely this guy can’t be one of the favourites for the job ? (2/1 at some bookies now from 8/1 yesterday)

Zero pedigree , no experience and a bit of a plank. Wouldn’t even be able to start the job until mid July

Complete disaster in the making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
And even then he might not like to give up the autonomy he has at Bournemouth. He more or less runs the football side from top to bottom.

I think Phil Neville might surprise a few people. He was an impressive Everton captain, immersing himself fully in everything Goodison and refusing to discuss Manchester United. And don't forget he coached at Valencia under Nuno Espiritu Santo before his miserable brother arrived there.

Arteta for me, though. Intelligent, knows the Premier League and we might get Phil Foden on loan.

Not now we won't.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There's just no way it would happen. He hasn't even managed at club level unless you count caretaker at Salford.

No need to feel anxious about this one.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Surely surely surely this guy can’t be one of the favourites for the job ? (2/1 at some bookies now from 8/1 yesterday)

Zero pedigree , no experience and a bit of a plank. Wouldn’t even be able to start the job until mid July

Bookies odds don't mean a lot in these markets generally.

Either it's pretty well known who the choice is and the odds are ridiculously short or there are just a load of 'potential' choices who are backed purely on guesswork.

I've seen it so many times where someone gets backed in from nowhere who isn't even 'on the list' yet and then the markets are suspended due to the flurry of activity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Phil Neville now as short as 7/4 and Potter 4/6 :ohmy:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Those scissors are getting closer to my season ticket. Help Help!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Bookies odds don't mean a lot in these markets generally.

Either it's pretty well known who the choice is and the odds are ridiculously short or there are just a load of 'potential' choices who are backed purely on guesswork.

I've seen it so many times where someone gets backed in from nowhere who isn't even 'on the list' yet and then the markets are suspended due to the flurry of activity.

I'm assuming, given that he started the Potter thread, that Dwayne has had a little early tickle on GP???

That said, I agree about Neville. The fact he'd not be able to start until July is a minor worry. The way we timed the Hughton announcement was seen as poor in some circles, it'll be seen as madness if we have to wait for the Women's World Cup to finish. Still, at least he'd get an early view of the Amex in June. The lack of experience is a real worry though and he does come across as a cock-end in Class of 92.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Mikel Arteta is now being linked to the Lyon job. If we are taking a gamble I would rather go with Arteta than Neville.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That said, I agree about Neville. The fact he'd not be able to start until July is a minor worry.

I'm not mentioning this in relation to Neville, but whoever gets the job isn't going to see any of our players until they come back for pre-season training.

As such, you can only think Dan Ashworth will be a key figure in retain/release decisions.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
God I hate this manager merry-go-round

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not mentioning this in relation to Neville, but whoever gets the job isn't going to see any of our players until they come back for pre-season training.

As such, you can only think Dan Ashworth will be a key figure in retain/release decisions.

How many do we need to decide on? Saw a retained / released list on the U23s that was presumably done by Rusk and Ashworth the other day. Bong has a new contract. Bruno has gone. Not sure how many others there are affected. I know someone has a list in their sign off but cannot rememeber who!

A bigger worry would be if we had to delay getting players in. When we went up we'd already signed Gross by about this time (think he was first day of the window). So that would mean Ashworth and Winstanley in full control of signings until after the WWC if it is Neville or new signings put on hold.

I assume the next appointment will be along similar lines to CH and will not get autonomy in signing players but you'd hope we at least had someone available to consult. The biggest issue with Hyypia for me was that we had a load of players who could never fit his (totally hatstand) tactics.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Based on that who will make decisions on recruitment? Ashworth?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here