Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Is Fat Sam or Chrissy Hughts available?

The thought of that dipshit P.Neville at our club is nauseating and desperately worrying.

I'd rather take his ****ing brother.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This thread is a clear example of why the wisdom of crowds is flawed, too many Muppets assuming they know best.

Jurgen Klopp was a second rate defender.

Bob Paisley was a boot room boy.

Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's interpreter.

Let's not confuse skill on the pitch with ability as a manager. If he gets the job, then Dan Ashworth has seen enough to recommend him.

Good enough for me, he previously picked the u17 world cup winning coach, the u20 world cup winning coach and the international world cup semi-final coach.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
please no

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
If Potter is appointed at least he may bring some of his current exciting young talent with him.

Unlike Neville who could only bring a bit of eye candy for the boys to feast on in the changing room.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This thread is a clear example of why the wisdom of crowds is flawed, too many Muppets assuming they know best.

Jurgen Klopp was a second rate defender.

Bob Paisley was a boot room boy.

Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's interpreter.

Let's not confuse skill on the pitch with ability as a manager. If he gets the job, then Dan Ashworth has seen enough to recommend him.

Good enough for me, he previously picked the u17 world cup winning coach, the u20 world cup winning coach and the international world cup semi-final coach.

True and their are no guarantees, however, those quoted above did serve time as assistants' at a high level, before taking control.

Paisley was in the famous boot room under Shankly, same with those who followed, with the exception of Dalglish (who was a top player). Mourinho was an interpreter and then an assistant under Robson...... Klopp was manager in the Bundersliga with Mainz.

So I would definitely argue you need some top level experience be it as a player or assistant. For example, I would be concerned if we took Danny Cowley (not that he isn't impressive).

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If Tony Bloom seriously gives Neville the job, I think he’s gone insane. I wouldn’t trust him with another single decision on literally anything Albion-related.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Tony Bloom seriously gives Neville the job, I think he’s gone insane. I wouldn’t trust him with another single decision on literally anything Albion-related.

Dan Ashworth is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster I think. If we do appoint Neville I think it will be Ashworth’s choice rather than TB’s. TB employs people he trusts and lets them get on with it as far as I can tell. Don’t see him as a meddler.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Dan Ashworth is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster I think. If we do appoint Neville I think it will be Ashworth’s choice rather than TB’s. TB employs people he trusts and lets them get on with it as far as I can tell. Don’t see him as a meddler.

But we’ve heard from a few sources that it was solely a TB decision to sack CH, rather than a board or DA-influenced one. I’d be very surprised if the choice of new manager wasn’t heavily, heavily influenced by TB too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But we’ve heard from a few sources that it was solely a TB decision to sack CH, rather than a board or DA-influenced one. I’d be very surprised if the choice of new manager wasn’t heavily, heavily influenced by TB too.

Isn’t that guesswork, the club haven’t said much at all about it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The vitriol for Phil Neville is really weird. He doesn't have a load of managerial experience so he's not my first choice. But there's some things about him which make me think it wouldn't be a bad choice, and it's hard to see why people are being so extreme against him, unless it's a few dodgy performances at left back for England 20 years ago :shrug:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
If it’s Neville, then Bloom has lost it!!!
I don’t believe it will be Neville. As I believe Bloom, Barber and Ashworth, know what they’re doing.

I believe that Bloom knows what he’s doing, Barber will agree with him but Ashworth will be calling the shots on this appointment

Be careful what........ etc

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
True and their are no guarantees, however, those quoted above did serve time as assistants' at a high level, before taking control.

Paisley was in the famous boot room under Shankly, same with those who followed, with the exception of Dalglish (who was a top player). Mourinho was an interpreter and then an assistant under Robson...... Klopp was manager in the Bundersliga with Mainz.

So I would definitely argue you need some top level experience be it as a player or assistant. For example, I would be concerned if we took Danny Cowley (not that he isn't impressive).

Does his stint as assistant manager at Man United not count?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The vitriol for Phil Neville is really weird. He doesn't have a load of managerial experience so he's not my first choice. But there's some things about him which make me think it wouldn't be a bad choice, and it's hard to see why people are being so extreme against him, unless it's a few dodgy performances at left back for England 20 years ago :shrug:

Here’s my list of reasons why:

Untested

Uncharismatic - unlikely to be able to motivate

Despite his career he isn’t going to attract named players [unless he gets his old pals out of retirement]

When I hear him speak all I hear are modern day football and already overused and tired vernacular - for example saying ‘football club’ after the name of every team referenced because in some way you think it makes you sound clever - it doesn’t it makes you sound thick and incapable of independent thought.

Lack of all round gravitas.

Sure he may be a sound chap, he’s a solid family man, he manages the England Women’s team, and frankly for me that’s his level.

CH was a nice chap but I damn well bet if you ****ed up he let you know about it in no uncertain terms.

Neville is about as able to rinse someone out for a shit performance as I am. And don’t get me started on how he got so many England caps.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Man; sacking CH was a major ball drop if you ask me, but now that it’s ermmm dropped let’s get the next one right... Rusk did very well this season in particular, vs Neville and his ‘level’ it’s a no brainer.

NO.

Getting rid of someone who's stopped being able to do the job and bringing in someone else to do it are two separate things. The "who would you replace him with" argument is no reason at all to persist with something that's not working. Any other chairman in the league would have sacked CH after Bournemouth. The dressing room would have further fractured, attack minded players would have refused to join us and we'd have spent the season in 19th, one point above Sheffield United with Murray our top scorer on 4. Frankly the next guy can't do much worse than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here