Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So with your Tony Bloom 'ruthless' head on...

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Incidentally on AJ, I wonder if anyone has ever been the top scorer in a major european league, moved in the summer, and scored no goals the next season.

Probably yes, but only as a result of a major injury!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
...and given we want to improve, consolidate, and play a more attacking style of football - who stays and who goes from the current squad?

It almost goes without saying that TB is going to give the new manager funds for reinforcements after such a big call.

Impossible to know without knowing what the transfer kitty is / what offers we get / which current players are pushing for moves.

But, that nothwithstanding...

If the stories regarding a group of players being regularly unprofessional have major substance, then that needs to be stamped out. People closer to them will have a good idea who the ringleaders are. If its one player leading the others astray he needs to go. If its a group they can all go, subject to acceptable bids.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Impossible to know without knowing what the transfer kitty is / what offers we get / which current players are pushing for moves.

But, that nothwithstanding...

If the stories regarding a group of players being regularly unprofessional have major substance, then that needs to be stamped out. People closer to them will have a good idea who the ringleaders are. If its one player leading the others astray he needs to go. If its a group they can all go, subject to acceptable bids.
Ah yes, and there's a possible problem.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This is a pragmatic view from Rosenior https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...peaks-about-chris-hughton-s-sacking-1-8925921

Rosenior said: "First and foremost I can only say good things about Chris Hughton. As a manager he's been outstanding wherever he's been and as a person he's had the biggest influence on me in terms of how to conduct yourself as a professional - whether that's as a player, a coach or a manager.

"Whatever he does next he'll be a success.

"In terms of what happened today, it was a sad day for the club and a sad day for the chairman to have to make the decision.

"It was a sad day for the staff. For four years there was an unbelievable relationship between everyone at the football club.

"Over the last six months there's been a staleness in performance and we've only won three in 23. It's a very difficult stage for the football club - a football club that has been in the Premier League for two years and now the natural question is 'what's next?'.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If Ajax want Propper and will pay decent money, I for one wouldn't stand in his way.

Conversely I'd be devastated if we got a manager like Potter in, and the one player who stood to flourish most in the new system, had just left.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Ajax want Propper and will pay decent money, I for one wouldn't stand in his way.

By all accounts Ajax are sitting on an absolute fortune (£250m already) from the players they have sold - only likely to be boosted further with De Jong off to Barca for £75m, and whatever De Ligt goes for, probably similar. No top player wants to play in the Eredivisie, they can't spend it! So they would probably give Propper whatever he wanted to go back.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This is a pragmatic view from Rosenior https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...peaks-about-chris-hughton-s-sacking-1-8925921

Rosenior said: "First and foremost I can only say good things about Chris Hughton. As a manager he's been outstanding wherever he's been and as a person he's had the biggest influence on me in terms of how to conduct yourself as a professional - whether that's as a player, a coach or a manager.

"Whatever he does next he'll be a success.

"In terms of what happened today, it was a sad day for the club and a sad day for the chairman to have to make the decision.

"It was a sad day for the staff. For four years there was an unbelievable relationship between everyone at the football club.

"Over the last six months there's been a staleness in performance and we've only won three in 23. It's a very difficult stage for the football club - a football club that has been in the Premier League for two years and now the natural question is 'what's next?'.

And those words on Sky Sports' The Debate were followed by Dion Dublin and Emma Hayes speaking from positions of utter ignorance - the same old "Who do Brighton think they are?" stuff that has been trotted out over the past 24 hours from people who haven't seen a single second of any of our games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And those words on Sky Sports' The Debate were followed by Dion Dublin and Emma Hayes speaking from positions of utter ignorance - the same old "Who do Brighton think they are?" stuff that has been trotted out over the past 24 hours from people who haven't seen a single second of any of our games.

Yep and not forgetting the criticism he got from the MOTD pundits. Sad decision to have to make but we weren't rated by them and we would have been made relegation favourites by everyone next season anyway.

We even ended up being the one team that was refereed to as a team that would not be missed so all these things add up towards having to make a decision. Bloom isn't a charity for nice people and when people say we are in our place and should be grateful as a club, it raises a challenge and he is making a statement that we do actually want to compete in the Prem.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The equation changes for me with the new manager situation. Whoever he is, he will want his own players to implement his ideas.

Whilst it's impossible to be definitive on this until we know who is appointed, I think he will start by planning
1. who he will want in his starting 11 from existing players
2. then recruit for the 'missing' starters
3. then decide who will make the squad and by definition who he will move on.

For 1. my choice would be only
Ryan
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo
Bissouma
March

so recruit 5.

All the while juggling the available budget.

We've progressed the last few years by evolution: this summer will be different. There's not much point recruiting squad players no better than the ones we have.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

WTF is that effort from Sam Cunningham in the i all about today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here