Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone else think we have good players?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I find it kind of baffling how dismissive people are of the quality of our squad!

We have a lot of good players! My personal belief is that they just lacked good enough coaching to develop them into a cohesive team with a tactical plan. Additionally at an individual level I don't think we've seen enough improvement in movement, decision making and technique. Good coaching should improve players individually, and as a team we should aim to be functioning as more than the sum of our parts.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how the players weren't / aren't good enough. Good enough for what? To play a rigid 4-5-1 with 10 men in our own half? Try giving them some decent coaching and an actual tactical plan and see what happens.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Was actually going to do a poll on this but felt it was overkill.

I wonder how many people think we have a) better players than our performances suggest b) worse players than our performances suggest or c) players about the same as our performances suggest?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I think this is the risk that Bloom is now taking..that the team are good enough without CH to stay up, I think CH has kept a Championship team in the PL for 2 seasons, thats obviously not cutting the mustard anymore...Bloom wouldn't be making the decision thinking we'll go down before we build a squad again to stay in the PL, so he must be banking on the fact that someone else can get good football out of them...Or has plans to spend more...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have a competitive squad to give most sides a good game on our day. We could realistically expected to be anywhere between 10th and 20th next season the key being consistency

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8911559 said:
I find it kind of baffling how dismissive people are of the quality of our squad!

We have a lot of good players! My personal belief is that they just lacked good enough coaching to develop them into a cohesive team with a tactical plan. Additionally at an individual level I don't think we've seen enough improvement in movement, decision making and technique. Good coaching should improve players individually, and as a team we should aim to be functioning as more than the sum of our parts.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how the players weren't / aren't good enough. Good enough for what? To play a rigid 4-5-1 with 10 men in our own half? Try giving them some decent coaching and an actual tactical plan and see what happens.

You only need to look at Sterling for Man City diffrent player under Gladiola

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
You only need to look at Sterling for Man City diffrent player under Gladiola

Or the progression of Brooks compared to Solly March :shrug:

I really hope, whoever the new man in charge is able to help Solly fulfil his potential - most naturally gifted player at the club! Just needs guidance and good coaching to improve his decision making.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I agree with the legend Kerry Mayo who said: we should be able to reach mid table with this squad.

The trouble is getting the players to really believe it, as CH has shot the belief to shit with his constant talk of our level and who we can and (mostly) can’t compete with.

The polar opposite of a positive mental attitude.

No wonder we looked lost. It’s a bit like leaping into bed with a woman and Chris pops out of the wardrobe to remind you you’re lucky to be here, especially with that between your legs, keep it tight and try not to blow your load too quickly...

FFS Chris, i’ll get my coat.

Performance anxiety, it’s a killer.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Was actually going to do a poll on this but felt it was overkill.

I wonder how many people think we have a) better players than our performances suggest b) worse players than our performances suggest or c) players about the same as our performances suggest?

Go on...one more poll won’t hurt. Or a poll on whether we should have a poll. That hasn’t been done for a while

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The 'Hughton was given bad players' brigade are basing that opinion on an assumption. An assumption that those players won't cut it in a system where, for example, the top scorer in the Eredivisie last season isn't playing as a wing back, where a Dutch international attacking midfielder isn't camped out in his own half with no license to get forward or one where the creative players aren't relying on a 35 year old with a low work rate and no pace as their only target.

Maybe he was given the right tools and just didn't use them properly, time will tell.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We have good players at Championship level but not good players in the Premier League. That is why they are amongst the most poorly paid in the League. Very few would be starters for other teams. CH did extremely well to keep us up for two seasons but the wheels came off when there were issues (whatever they were) in the second half of the season. The teams had to be playing well to be even competitive. They were not playing well so lost game after game without scoring.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I think that CH believes that we have better players than their performances suggest. The question is why they underperformed. There is clearly a lack of pace in some positions, which isn’t something that the new manager can address, other than by shrewd signings this Summer.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
We have good players at Championship level but not good players in the Premier League. That is why they are amongst the most poorly paid in the League. Very few would be starters for other teams. CH did extremely well to keep us up for two seasons but the wheels came off when there were issues (whatever they were) in the second half of the season. The teams had to be playing well to be even competitive. They were not playing well so lost game after game without scoring.

What about someone like Martin Montoya? He's played Champions League football with Lionel Messi for Barcelona, yet at only 28 years old he's looked utterly lost/shite playing for us. Now do you think that's because he's only a Championship player or a player who's form has suffered due to lack of any coherent game plan/tactics/coaching?

phoenix

May 18, 2009

In your opinion,Prove it ! :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure they're all sub standard.

But I have wondered at times which of our players would be in demand if the club made it clear they were all for sale.

Looking at other clubs around us, Bournemouth would have clubs chasing Wilson, Brooks, Ake, Fraser, whilst they'd sell Josh King easily enough. Watford would have plenty of takers for Capoue, Doucoure and others. Palace could flog Wan-Bissaka and Zaha at least. Saints would have interest in Redmond, Ward-Prowse and others. We don't really have the sort of gems that other clubs are envious of. Sure, a couple of good defenders as things stand. But unless Arsenal's manager finally realises his centre halves are as bad as everybody else can see, neither Dunk nor Duffy are going anywhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our first team lacks:

A RB who can defend against PL wide-men.
Pace in CM.
Creativity in CM, especially ACM. We never control the ball and rarely matches.
Proven PL quality finishers, other than a 35 year old.
Our wingers, at PL level, haven’t shone, other than Solly who’s clearly improved and is learning fast.

Our transfer business this summer will prove that our first team is inadequate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here