Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone else think we have good players?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
No wonder we looked lost. It’s a bit like leaping into bed with a woman and Chris pops out of the wardrobe to remind you you’re lucky to be here, especially with that between your legs, keep it tight and try not to blow your load too quickly...

FFS Chris, i’ll get my coat.

Performance anxiety, it’s a killer.

Now that really made me laugh out loud ! Superb !

:lolol: :laugh: :clap:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
At games I’ve often felt like I’m watching a group of very capable individuals who have no idea how to play as a team. The manager’s job is surely to get those individuals playing as a team. So I’m quietly hopeful for the future. If I wasn’t, and our players are truly dreadful, then the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about. I don’t think they are dreadful, though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We have some fantastic players OP. So do our competitors though

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
But I have wondered at times which of our players would be in demand if the club made it clear they were all for sale.

It's an interesting point, but difficult to speculate on as I'd say that our players have been underperforming/not fulfilling potential

At Bournemouth I think Smuggy is really able to improve players from a technical point of view - think about it:

Calum Wilson - signed from League 1 Coventry
David Brooks - signed from Championship Sheffield United
Ryan Fraser - signed from Aberdeen
Josh King - signed from Championship Blackburn Rovers

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We still have a top Championship squad - but not quite good enough for this league.

Hughton could only do so much with the talent available, and as such had to be conservative. If we ship goals playing defensively, just think how many more we could let in while trying to attack.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8911597 said:
What about someone like Martin Montoya? He's played Champions League football with Lionel Messi for Barcelona, yet at only 28 years old he's looked utterly lost/shite playing for us. Now do you think that's because he's only a Championship player or a player who's form has suffered due to lack of any coherent game plan/tactics/coaching?

Maybe or maybe not. The point put is whether he is a good player at Premier League level and in my view he is not. Hopefully though a new manager will bring improvement and something that is more acceptable. Time will tell.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this is the risk that Bloom is now taking..that the team are good enough without CH to stay up, I think CH has kept a Championship team in the PL for 2 seasons, thats obviously not cutting the mustard anymore...Bloom wouldn't be making the decision thinking we'll go down before we build a squad again to stay in the PL, so he must be banking on the fact that someone else can get good football out of them...Or has plans to spend more...

Of course he’ll spend. We’re PL team building and are to receive £110m in broadcasting income.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8911636 said:
It's an interesting point, but difficult to speculate on as I'd say that our players have been underperforming/not fulfilling potential

At Bournemouth I think Smuggy is really able to improve players from a technical point of view - think about it:

The magic doesn't seem to have worked so well on Jordon Ibe, Tyrone Mings or Dominic Solanke, it must be said.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Our problem is that we don’t have a single winger or striker up to PL football, hence we find it so hard to score. A couple of quality additions in those positions and the new manager should be looking upwards next season.

No, not having that. I guess we'll see. But. clean slates from today IMHO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was actually going to do a poll on this but felt it was overkill.

I wonder how many people think we have a) better players than our performances suggest b) worse players than our performances suggest or c) players about the same as our performances suggest?

a))

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I agree with the legend Kerry Mayo who said: we should be able to reach mid table with this squad.

The trouble is getting the players to really believe it, as CH has shot the belief to shit with his constant talk of our level and who we can and (mostly) can’t compete with.

The polar opposite of a positive mental attitude.

No wonder we looked lost. It’s a bit like leaping into bed with a woman and Chris pops out of the wardrobe to remind you you’re lucky to be here, especially with that between your legs, keep it tight and try not to blow your load too quickly...

FFS Chris, i’ll get my coat.

Performance anxiety, it’s a killer.
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Consistency in performance, yes. physically that hasn't been an issue, although we are slow at PL level, but mentally. . . . And tactically we're frail and lack adaptive qualities. Given CH rare, but obvious animated expression pitchside, I assume some of our players aren't intelligent enough above a certain level.

We have a competitive squad to give most sides a good game on our day. We could realistically expected to be anywhere between 10th and 20th next season the key being consistency

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8911636 said:

Sorry, but remind me in Murray's excellent career when he scored more goals in the top flight than under Hughton? Did Smuggy make him better, he had him as a 31 year old?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The magic doesn't seem to have worked so well on Jordon Ibe, Tyrone Mings or Dominic Solanke, it must be said.

I was merely pointing out that the 4 players you'd pointed out previously as sellable assets for Bournemouth had all been signed from lower league clubs (Aberdeen :lolol:) and have been improved through coaching to now be decent Premier League players.

I'll give you Mings - but Jordon Ibe and Dominic Solanke were both signed from Liverpool so the conclusion is it's better to sign lower league players? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here