Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Hayward Article in Telegraph

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I still believe the Newcastle 1St half had a big say in Tony Bloom's decision after such woeful performances against saints cherries and Cardiff getting a point at wolves without having a shot on goal and after players meeting etc. Etc. at home to the toon with a win virtually guarantee staying up and playing so poorly yet 2nd half playing as we can some attacking football meant that some players weren't bothering or certainly not playing for Hughton. We stank the premier league out half the season and that is not what Tony Bloom has invested in. He has provided large transfers compared to your saints cherries Burnley etc.and feels we should be better than we ended up

That’s unfair about CH’s transfer budget. The Stains, Bmuff and Burnley squads have cost more in their totality. To ignore the players those clubs bought before CH got us promoted, focusing only on spending in the last 4 windows, would be silly.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Agreed Harry, these 3 could be the most vocal dissenters and who could blame them, but and it's a BIG BUT, the midfield must also be blamed for not being good enough (fast enough) to link Hughtons defensive strategy with the said 3 front runners attacking prowess, if it is at all at a Premier league level.....in essence a new manager could come in and not make a jot of difference to this playing staff even with a more attacking approach. We shall see, was a Hughton inner but can't wait to see who we appoint and start the next season with a fresh start. It is however the biggest managerial gamble IMHO in Tony Blooms tenure.
I think a new manager could make a difference as we have shown glimpses of being able to play a more attacking style. The problem is CH always led with a defensive mentality first in the hope of keeping it tight and nicking a late win. When we upped the pace and forward movement we haven’t looked too bad

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What light is that then ? Barber, IMHO, is probably one of the CEOs in football.

Why? Because he writes long e-mails? Because our revenue is better than with Ken? Because we haven't over ordered any kit? Because we don't get enough replica kit to sell? Because he was so supportive of Burke and the recruitment system employed at the time of Hyppia? Because we're told to believe that he is one of the best CEO's in football (like Burke was one of the best recruitment guys)? Because we manage to have a lower revenue that other smaller clubs despite all his great work?

I don't get it. I could well be wrong, probably am considering the amount of people that seem impressed by him. But I just don't get it.

Why do you think he's one of the best CEO's in football?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Not so helpful for the publisher funding the content, or the chain of staff responsible for metrics. Hey ho.

Guilty as charged, yer honour. However, I plead mitigation in that I am registered with said publisher and allowed to view a certain number of articles a week, and someone has specifically asked to see it. I would of course recommend that you all go and look at it on their site, just to keep their metrics up, like. :thumbsup:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I hope those players that need culling are gone shortly as well. Bloom is being a dickhead today to my mind, but whilst he's being a dickhead he best do it properly....its only his own money he's going to have to waste to sort this mess out now.....Curious that Hayward thinks the suggestion of people not renewing would affect CH's position, how long is the ST waiting list?

Obviously not long enough. CH lost a fair few fans with his negative mantra. Would be interesting to see how many didn't renew. My own son didn't and four workmates all blaming the totally inept performances. They have all been ST holders since Withdean

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think that if the manager had been anyone other than CH (Benitez for instance) then he would have gone much earlier. Let’s face it the football has been appalling with a few exceptions. It’s not been pleasant viewing but because it was CH we have Been more tolerant. I would have liked him to have another season but there is the concern that it would have been more of the same .....
I was shocked and sadden but not surprised (if that makes any sense). For me CH sits up there with Mullery as the best manager we have ever had. Lucky to have had him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think that if the manager had been anyone other than CH (Benitez for instance) then he would have gone much earlier. Let’s face it the football has been appalling with a few exceptions. It’s not been pleasant viewing but because it was CH we have Been more tolerant. I would have liked him to have another season but there is the concern that it would have been more of the same .....
I was shocked and sadden but not surprised (if that makes any sense). For me CH sits up there with Mullery as the best manager we have ever had. Lucky to have had him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a weirdly simplistic argument but is very valid- If CH wasn't a good guy he'd have gone ages ago.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Obviously not long enough. CH lost a fair few fans with his negative mantra. Would be interesting to see how many didn't renew. My own son didn't and four workmates all blaming the totally inept performances. They have all been ST holders since Withdean

They stuck it out through the Hypia debacle but decided to jump ship now? All because of the standard of football? Really?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
b) why this was announced less than a day after the charade of the parade around the pitch
Sacking him before the game wouldn't be good for the preparation for that game. I imagine Chris will be gutted about it - sacking him before he gets to enjoy walking around the pitch with his family would have been awful, and the fans would have been stunned.
c) how long ago it was decided that CH had to go (Bloom sitting down last night and deciding on this course of action just doesn't ring true)
Well it's unlikely he just decided last night, but we're not going to know when he decided, unless he decides to tell us (which he won't).

Bloom now has to put (more of) his money where his mouth is !
He just did. We know what we had with Chris. I was happy, but Bloom is saying he can do better.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Yeah, I'd say so. Especially considering you now lose the chance to get another ST immediately. Not the case when Hypia was ripping it up.....

That said I've wondered why I'd bothered travelling down quite a few times this season. Painful at times

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ian Wright tweets are fairly balanced on this and where I’m at I think.

Also makes a good point that at least 2 of the 3 promoted teams could be fairly strong and we could easily find ourselves struggling if we carried on as is

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why do you think he's one of the best CEO's in football?

Because he is and has a very impressive CV

Football Association: Director of Marketing and Communications

Spurs: Executive Director

Vancouver Whitecaps: CEO

Brighton: CEO, Deputy Chairman.

Sits on FA Council.

The "industry" was incredibly surprised when he turned down Premier League offers on return from Canada to join Brighton in the Championship.

At the FA he would have negotiated with all the major broadcasters. He was also responsible for the successful "England on the Road" tour when they re-built Wembley.

Bloom got his man.

Lush

Mods' Pet

My other half + 1 joined the season ticket waiting list just last season. They were number 4,000 and something.

Last week, despite only being able to buy on the 5th day of potential purchasing, they were able to get two season tickets together, in a good position in the WSU.

I realise this is anecdotal evidence, but even allowing for the waiting list purge of people/professional queue joiners put off by the £50 advance fee, that's a worrying sign of people not renewing and people not wanting to buy.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The common thread between the Telegraph and Guardian pieces is the unhappiness about what’s happened in training. Whether those papers have spoken to senior players, or coaching staff, who knows. Or even a technical director who might have been unhappy with the way he found things...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here