Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Hayward Article in Telegraph

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Paul Hayward has written an article in today's 'Telegraph' looking at the context of Chris Hughton's sacking.

According to him, sources close to the coaching staff claim that Lewis Dunk, Shane Duffy and Glenn Murray will be sorry to see Chris go. However other players have 'pursued personal agendas' and been less than supportive of the manager.

Shouldn't speculate should we...oh go on then!

D

Deleted member 2719

Okay so Glenn loves him for the fact he was in his pocket.

Dunky and Duffy have been fortunate to look like heros week in week out because of the amount of pressure the defence has been under they couldn't lose really.

Ps I love D and D but don't like seeing them surrounded by 7 other Albion bodies all match.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Performances over much of the last three months would bear it out imo. Anyone suggesting it on here at the time got jumped on though

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I thought this was interesting from the Guardian article:

"There were suggestions that training drills prioritised defence to the extent that Brighton’s attackers felt alienated."

I think we all sensed that something like that was going on, and to be fair you can understand it. It's also not just our attack minded players who would have liked us to consider more than just defending, it's everyone really, from the chairman to the fans. You can also understand CH doing that. The thing is, if we weren't training enough on the attacking side, it showed, and goes some way to explaining why on the rare occassions that we did get out of our own half, we didn't seem to have much idea what to do.

D

Deleted member 2719

"There were suggestions that training drills prioritised defence to the extent that Brighton’s attackers felt alienated."

I think we all sensed that something like that was going on, and to be fair you can understand it. It's also not just our attack minded players who would have liked us to consider more than just defending, it's everyone really, from the chairman to the fans. You can also understand CH doing that. The thing is, if we weren't training enough on the attacking side, it showed, and goes some way to explaining why on the rare occassions that we did get out of our own half, we didn't seem to have much idea what to do.

We haven't had an attacking coach for years, I really hope BZ would come and work with the new manager on that side.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

It always seemed like all attacking players were selected for their defensive qualities and discipline (eg willingness to track back). And new players weren't trusted for ages...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It always seemed like all attacking players were selected for their defensive qualities and discipline (eg willingness to track back). And new players weren't trusted for ages...

This needs to be sharply turned around over the Summer else we're a Championship club-in-waiting

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Whether they betrayed hughton or not, locadia , aj , andone, izquierdo can all do one.
And if any of them read this - lads you’re shit because you’re shit. Not because anyone else made you shit.

Edit : Sorry bit emotional about losing Bruno and hughton in less than 24 hours

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Clearly all down to Ashworth forcing Chris to neglect the strikers. #FACT

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whether they betrayed hughton or not, locadia , aj , andone, izquierdo can all do one.
And if any of them read this - lads you’re shit because you’re shit. Not because anyone else made you shit.

Edit : Sorry bit emotional about losing Bruno and hughton in less than 24 hours

:ffsparr:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not sure how to take that tbh.

Definitely Glenn will see the end of the Hughton era as a big threat to his first team place.
Other than that I would guess everyone else is in with as much of a chance of pushing on with the new man as anyone else.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I hope those players that need culling are gone shortly as well. Bloom is being a dickhead today to my mind, but whilst he's being a dickhead he best do it properly....its only his own money he's going to have to waste to sort this mess out now.....Curious that Hayward thinks the suggestion of people not renewing would affect CH's position, how long is the ST waiting list?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Here you go:

Brighton have taken the biggest gamble of Tony Bloom’s ownership by sacking a manager who kept a patchy squad in the Premier League two seasons running. For Swansea’s Graham Potter - the club's No 1 target - recruitment would need to improve sharply for Chris Hughton’s dismissal to have a hope of success.

Not once in 2018-19 were Brighton in the Premier League relegation zone. In December they reached 10th place with a win over Crystal Palace. But an alarming slide of three wins in 23 dropped them to two points above the relegation zone. Brighton’s owner, Bloom, who fired Hughton at the training ground the morning after Manchester City’s title-securing 4-1 win, calculated that it was better to head off the possibility of that slump continuing than deal with the consequences next autumn.

This proactive approach removes Brighton’s best manager of the modern era. Hughton raised them from 17th in the Championship to 15th in the club’s first season in the top tier since 1983, and then kept them up again after a summer of underwhelming buys up front. Florin Andone, Alireza Jahanbakhsh and Jurgen Locadia have added little to Hughton’s strong defensive block of Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy.

Those Brighton fans meanwhile who blamed the manager for “wasting money” ignored the fact that the club’s recruitment department, not Hughton, determined transfer policy. There is a strong case for saying Hughton has paid the price for mistakes made elsewhere in the club.

Dan Ashworth, the technical director hired amid great fanfare from the Football Association, is said not to have been behind Hughton’s sacking. Bloom made the decision and began informing senior staff on Sunday night. But Ashworth has been leading the search for a replacement, with Potter fitting the bill of a ‘progressive’ British coach who would have looked at home in Ashworth’s FA set-up.

Bloom’s gamble lies in the assumption that Brighton can find better attacking players than they currently have within the club’s spending limits - and in the belief that a shift to a more attacking style will save them from perennial relegation battles. Both theories will be tested once the club has taken a PR hit for dumping a manager of great class and dignity (and one who performed brilliantly to keep them up).

Hughton was a hero of Brighton’s resurrection tale, two decades after they almost went out of business. He was also emblematic of a set of values, rare now in football, and of a smooth working relationship between manager, owner and chief executive. As Paul Barber, who performs the last of those roles, pointed out in Sunday’s match programme: “For perspective, let’s not forget that our club spent almost four decades outside of the top flight before our promotion to the Premier League two years ago, and we have only played six seasons in our entire 118-year history at the highest level.”

Brighton’s line of reasoning is that they had a good manager but wanted better on the pitch. They have convinced themselves that a change will free-up the team to advance beyond pragmatism and play more adventurously. Some season ticket season holders had been grumbling about the lack of entertainment at the Amex Stadium and threatening not to renew. As with all clubs, those commercial tremors were picked up by the board, who ignored four creditable performances in a row, against Wolves, Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal, to end Hughton’s reign after a predictable last-day home defeat to Man City.

The word around Hughton’s coaching team was that Glenn Murray, Dunk and Duffy were the three players most responsible for keeping Brighton up. None will be glad to see Hughton go. At the same time a summer cull will need to take out players who pursued personal agendas and were not supportive of the manager when results began to crumble. Bloom needs to be as ruthless in the dressing room as he was in the dug-out.

The upshot is that a manager who saved Brighton from dropping into League One has just been fired despite keeping them in the Premier League twice, while never once this season visiting 18th, 19th or 20th positions. Ashworth will need a stellar summer of buying and selling players if Hughton’s replacement is to stand any chance of making it a survival hat-trick.

Most of all the top division has lost a gentleman who helped a club with no top-flight pedigree into the land of milk and money, then kept them there against the odds. His decency is less relevant to this analysis than his competence. Brighton’s next moves had better be good to justify this sacking. It will be hard to shed the sadness one feels at the memory of Hughton on the Brighton pitch on Sunday with his grandchildren.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Paul Hayward has written an article in today's 'Telegraph' looking at the context of Chris Hughton's sacking.

According to him, sources close to the coaching staff claim that Lewis Dunk, Shane Duffy and Glenn Murray will be sorry to see Chris go. However other players have 'pursued personal agendas' and been less than supportive of the manager.

Shouldn't speculate should we...oh go on then!

Interesting as I understood at least one of those players was among those pushing for a change of tack. The consensus nationally also seems to be that Hughton is 'paying for the mistakes of others'. And yet, when we were first promoted, I heard that he was zipping all over Europe to look at players because nothing would happen without his say-so. Hard to question Paul Hayward as he's a top journalist and Albion fan so should know....

It's a sad day for sure as Hughton's such an honourable guy, but those who haven't watched the team week in, week out clearly can't see beyond his personality. There's quite a bit of guff being spoken IMO. I'm not convinced myself that it's the right decision - but Tony Bloom's reasons also seem perfectly understandable for anyone who has been following the season closely. The club can't afford to stagnate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here