Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Hayward Article in Telegraph

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting point re the make up of the prem and the also rans, I have long held that view too about the media’s bias very evident to the bigger clubs outside the prem, the amount of times Leeds are on tv being a very obvious example.

I have a slightly different point on that though, and it concerns the longevity of clubs the size of the Albion in prem. in short the longer we remain, the harder I think it is to manage relegation and sustain an immediate promotion challenge the following season. This is because the income base of a club like BHA will never materially change, and yet the pay structure etc. will naturally come under greater and greater pressure the longer that we stay in the prem.

Palace are a good example of a club that is spending well beyond its income and whilst it could be offset by selling Zaha having lots of players on ever greater and longer contracts are an economic death sentence had they been relegated.

That is not to say I want BHA to be relegated, however I think the basis of the club has to be that relegation is likely and therefore our playing staff have to have a core that would give us the best chance of getting back up; I think Cardiff have done exactly that this season. Key to that strategy is also keeping a manager who you trust to get you back up.

Time will tell if this is the right decision, I hope this is not symptomatic of raising the stakes, we are not Villa or Leeds and we never will be.

Good point. I think you can apply that theory to Stoke City too. However, Leicester have shown how to raise the bar and stay at that second quartile level for a 30K attendance club. Part of that is having a style of play that is dangerous.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cards on the table, I am not the biggest fan of award-winning and now retired Mail on Sunday journalist/columnist Patrick Collins. So more than happy to highlight this tweet...

Patrick Collins (@collinspatk1) tweeted at 10:34 am on Mon, May 13,*2019:

The sacking of Chris Hughton is an appalling decision. Brighton have over-achieved by remaining in the Premier League. Hughton is the victim of a star-struck chairman with ideas above his station. A fine manager will flourish elsewhere. Brighton’s future is*less certain.

Now, I'll give him latitude on his view of the decision. Plenty of Brighton fans think the same. I'll also give him that our future is uncertain and that Hughton will flourish elsewhere. We may have overachieved staying up.

But the personal attack on Bloom is ignorant and malicious, and the attitude towards any kind of upward mobility is positively feudal. He did another scathing tweet about Danny Baker, less to do with his ill-judged picture but more slaughtering the bloke for his whole career. How dare he be a BBC presenter, the oik from Lewisham...I think Mr Collins was happier in an age when serfs doffed their caps to the masters, in football terms the big six.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Cards on the table, I am not the biggest fan of award-winning and now retired Mail on Sunday journalist/columnist Patrick Collins. So more than happy to highlight this tweet...

The sacking of Chris Hughton is an appalling decision. Brighton have over-achieved by remaining in the Premier League. Hughton is the victim of a star-struck chairman with ideas above his station. A fine manager will flourish elsewhere. Brighton’s future is*less certain.

Now, I'll give him latitude on his view of the decision. Plenty of Brighton fans think the same. I'll also give him that our future is uncertain and that Hughton will flourish elsewhere. We may have overachieved staying up.

But the personal attack on Bloom is ignorant and malicious, and the attitude towards any kind of upward mobility is positively feudal. He did another scathing tweet about Danny Baker, less to do with his ill-judged picture but more slaughtering the bloke for his whole career. How dare he be a BBC presenter, the oik from Lewisham...I think Mr Collins was happier in an age when serfs doffed their caps to the masters, in football terms the big six.

And the accusation of being star struck is absolutely ludicrous given the favourite for the job.

A lot of journalists and pundits have lost their shit here and could do well to reign it in. And do a bit of research on Bloom.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The closest chairman comparison for Bloom I would say is Steve Gibson. I'm sure Tony would be happy with that, another astute man, widely admired, who loves his club and has made it a life's project.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Part of that is having a style of play that is dangerous.

This is undoubtedly what did for Hughton in the end. I don't think Hughton's style of playing the percentages over the course of a season will ever get us in the top half.

On the flip side if they make the wrong appointment we'll definitely go down next season. It's a huge gamble but you don't make as much money as Bloom has without being ruthless or taking the odd risk.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And the accusation of being star struck is absolutely ludicrous given the favourite for the job.

A lot of journalists and pundits have lost their shit here and could do well to reign it in. And do a bit of research on Bloom.

Perhaps the near universal support from the press for Chris Hughton was due to him being one of, if not the most, popular managers in the industry. Someone who was modest, fair, open and honest in a profession full of egos, charlatans, crooks and chancers.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is undoubtedly what did for Hughton in the end. I don't think Hughton's style of playing the percentages over the course of a season will ever get us in the top half.

I don't even expect to be top half. I just don't expect us to play in home must-win relegation six-pointers the same way we might away at Spurs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

On the flip side if they make the wrong appointment we'll definitely go down next season. It's a huge gamble but you don't make as much money as Bloom has without being ruthless or taking the odd risk.

I'll hazard a guess Mr Bloom doesn't take 'risks'.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

A lot of us made assumptions about Norwich sacking him for spurious reasons. Context is crucial - very few of their fans thought it was the wrong decisions.

Journalists are typically reluctant to side against managers who are generous with their time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps the near universal support from the press for Chris Hughton was due to him being one of, if not the most, popular managers in the industry. Someone who was modest, fair, open and honest in a profession full of egos, charlatans, crooks and chancers.

All of that is undeniably true and made the decision harder to accept (and I'm sure harder to make). But you really expect the top journalists to take account of factors other than whether he talks to them, and whether he's a great bloke.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Undoubtedly El Pres, undoubtedly. The criticism of the club is still lazy and opinionated nonsense. Journalists are little more than clickbait bloggers these days.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The closest chairman comparison for Bloom I would say is Steve Gibson. I'm sure Tony would be happy with that, another astute man, widely admired, who loves his club and has made it a life's project.

Except I hope Tony Bloom wouldn't recruit an out and out crook as a manager who used deceipt to extract money from a club and whose views on most social issues are out of tune with the Albion as a club and Brighton as a city.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/tony-pulis-accused-fraudulent-behaviour-high-court-judgment/

I can't see TB coming out with comments about 'smashing the league' should the Albion be relegated either

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39922674

Or use the football club as a means of reducing the tax bill of other companies under his ownership

Boro Tax.PNG

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Except I hope Tony Bloom wouldn't recruit an out and out crook as a manager who used deceipt to extract money from a club and whose views on most social issues are out of tune with the Albion as a club and Brighton as a city.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/tony-pulis-accused-fraudulent-behaviour-high-court-judgment/

I can't see TB coming out with comments about 'smashing the league' should the Albion be relegated either

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39922674

Or use the football club as a means of reducing the tax bill of other companies under his ownership

View attachment 109609

Bit niche. Nobody will remember Steve Gibson's Boro tenure for that.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU

Although such types also have their champions, especially in the tabloids.

Any Del Boy characters coming to mind?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Although such types also have their champions, especially in the tabloids.

Any Del Boy characters coming to mind?

'Triffic...top, top, top player'

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All of that is undeniably true and made the decision harder to accept (and I'm sure harder to make). But you really expect the top journalists to take account of factors other than whether he talks to them, and whether he's a great bloke.

Do you think Paul Hayward, who is an Albion fan by the way, in his article arguing that the club should have given Hughton another season didn't ?
It is possible to have watched the Albion this season extensively, acknowledge that the football at times has been dreadful , agree that signings have been disappointing and yet still have serious doubts about whether sacking Hughton is the right decision.
(regardless of whether he is a class act or not, which he is and should also be a factor in making the decision as well in my view).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here