Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian Article on Chris's Sacking etc.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A rarity today in that he seems to know what he's talking about rather than basing it on how nasty we are for getting rid of such a lovely bloke. Good article.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Valid article, we withdrew further and further in to our shell.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Paul Hayward chief sports writer at the Telegraph (and Brighton fan) sees things differently.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...as-paid-price-mistakes-others-brightons-next/

I wonder who he talking about in this little excerpt " At the same time a summer cull will need to take out players who pursued personal agendas and were not supportive of the manager when results began to crumble. Bloom needs to be as ruthless in the dressing room as he was in the dug-out "

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I wonder who he talking about in this little excerpt " At the same time a summer cull will need to take out players who pursued personal agendas and were not supportive of the manager when results began to crumble. Bloom needs to be as ruthless in the dressing room as he was in the dug-out "

Hayward's article is saying it's everyones fault other than Hughton's.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
CH’s only failing in my opinion is that he’s a Labour Party supporter and probably reads this worthless rag. Apart from that he’s a diamond.

Footnote: I do not read the Daily Mail

That fact is truly worthless in a footballing context, you might as well question as to whether his religion is Catholic or Protestant..... pointless.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There have been a couple of good articles today, among the faux and ignorant outrage from people who haven't followed the results since January, or watched the performances.

I'll be very interested to see how the Argus cover this, going to have a close read of their analysis now and in the next few days.

It would appear that Tony Bloom has been thinking, and now acted upon, what the local newspaper has been branding supporters idiots for thinking and voicing. Namely that the results have been desperate for a team in need of points in a relegation struggle (no win in last 9, 3 wins in last 23); that the style has been overly negative, highlighted by a lack of shots on goal in must-win home games against teams around us; that the manager wasn't getting the best out of players available; that recruits this season had been sub-standard (may or may not have been wholly Hughton's fault); that the intensity of the first PL season had dropped; and that the dressing room togetherness had lessened.

Even with all this you could still have taken the view Hughton deserved another go with a clear brief for improvement and some funds (I did), but the chairman has decided otherwise, and there were clear grounds for the change.

If all of these things had been highlighted more in the last five months in the Argus (and they haven't, there has hardly been any criticism of the board, manager of players) then maybe a different tack would have been taken earlier. There have instead been plenty of snide digs at fans. This should stop, they are the customers and readers.

It's not only the team that need a shake-up, IMHO it is the Argus coverage of the Albion. It is too close, too cosy, too like the club output (TV, programme, web site), they are not breaking stories that might upset the club (nowhere near this one - why not?), or running opinion pieces that would ruffle feathers.

I would advise at the very least a new columnist, preferably ex-player, who does actually watch the team regularly, with the football knowledge and the balls to dole out criticism where appropriate.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It would appear that Tony Bloom has been thinking, and now acted upon, what the local newspaper has been branding supporters idiots for thinking and voicing.

Indeed.

Naylor wrote this in an article just 3 days ago:-

.. Hughton has lost the support of impatient and over-demanding minority pockets of the fanbase. ...

Presumably Naylor must now regard Tony Bloom as being "impatient" and "over-demanding".

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
I think this article has nailed the crux of the issue, eloquently. "Conceding eight goals without reply in outwardly winnable home matches with Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff." really sums it up for me.

2019 results: BHA 0 v Watford 0. BHA 1 v Burnley 3. Leicester 2 v BHA 1(BHA 1 up against 10 men). BHA 0 v Southampton 1. BHA 0 v Bournemouth 5. BHA 0 v Cardiff 2. Thank God Palace gifted us 6 points, and beat Cardiff away!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Argus coverage is dreadful, but that is the same of all local rags.

Just when I think the Liverpool Echo couldn't get any worse, it promptly does so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
2019 results: BHA 0 v Watford 0. BHA 1 v Burnley 3. Leicester 2 v BHA 1(BHA 1 up against 10 men). BHA 0 v Southampton 1. BHA 0 v Bournemouth 5. BHA 0 v Cardiff 2. Thank God Palace gifted us 6 points, and beat Cardiff away!

You conveniently forgot Huddersfield, Palace, Newcastle and Arsenal.
Burnley we were robbed by an incompetent referee. Watford was down to a brilliant display by Foster.

If you're going to discuss results don't pick and choose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. I said a month or 2 ago we had a big problem. The level of performances and what we achieved (or didn’t...) this season meant he should go at the end of the season... BUT if he kept us up then it was what was asked right?

I am not surprised what has happened and actually think we’ve handled this well. Chris will probably acknowledge why he has gone I imagine, and will definitely find himself a Championship job very quickly - if he wants it.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

You got the wrong game - it was our home game where we drew 1-1 when we were 1 up against 10 men.

el punal

I thought this section was very telling too...

"there is the Icarus-like example of this season’s impatient, flailing Fulham. Imposing a more proactive style is not easy, either, at a time when the top six routinely hoover the ball."

I really, really hope I am wrong, and I will be more than happy for someone to bounce this thread this time next season, but I seriously worry about what is to come!

I think there is a lot of hard work required by the club to repair the damage that has been done to our reputation (having said that, the racism idea is ludicrous), but the idea is out there!

I would imagine the club are well aware of the PR onslaught following the dismissal of Chris Hughton, but, as with all decisions that have emotive consequences things will settle down. A new manager will be selected and things will move on. Where and how are the questions that will need to be answered.

The decision by Tony Bloom to take a new direction will be a gamble for sure. Methinks it will go one of two ways - we will end up as next season’s Huddersfield with a Hyypia Mk.2 manager, or, the gamble will pay off with an exciting, progressive manager ensuring that the team play much more exciting, progressive football and finishing in a comfortable mid table spot. We await and see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nick Ames has written a piece on today's sacking and our challenge going forward that I think sums things up quite well:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/13/brighton-sack-chris-hughton

Yeah, I go along with this a lot more than Paul Hayward's unfortunately. The defensive drills thing is interesting. Presumably we had reached such rock bottom that CH's only thought was to hope for 0-0s by defending ever more solidly. He got one at Wolves that kept us up but only after we'd put ourselves in the shit with our poor attacking and negativity at home. The second you focus too much on defence you not only alienate some of your players but many of your fans and we seemed to create a vicious circle where we didn't believe we could score and therefore had to defend even more resolutely..

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Judging by Andone’s reaction to being substituted against Spurs and his angry gesturing at the bench yesterday, he certainly wasn’t Hughton’s biggest fan.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think we can all just forget the racism angle and see it for what it is - total garbage. We are a club who appointed a BAME manager for no other reason than he was the best man for the job, and we were very lucky to get him at that time near the bottom of the Championship. He stayed for four and a half years, making him one of the league's longest-serving bosses. We also have a BAME manager of the women's team. Only agenda-driven fools would try and slant this sacking in that way. If they want something constructive to do with their time, maybe they should have a look at say clubs who haven't had a BAME coach for 30 years and start asking them why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here