Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion (Hughton?) performance - the short term effect of Ashworth's appointment?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dan Ashworth started work with the Albion on 12 Feb 2019.

There were 26 matches in the 2018/19 PL season before 12 Feb 2019. At that point we were 14th in the League, with 27 points. PPG = 1.04.

Since 12 Feb 2019, there have been 12 PL games. We finished in 17th, having achieved a further 9 points from those 12 games. PPG = 0.75.

And people said that the appointment of Ashworth wouldn't upset the applecart.

Some, including me, said it would, at least in the short term, and these stats would support the argument that it did. And, arguably, Hughton lost his job as a consequence.

Note: I am not saying that Ashworth's a bad bloke, nor that his appointment isn't in the best mid/long-term interest of the club as I simply don't know. Rather, I'm simply saying that I called it as a "fudge" at the time of his appointment (albeit with my predicted victim being Winstanley, not Hughton), and that (tongue firmly in cheek) "...after all there’s no history of an incoming Technical Director having caused internal ructions in other pro football clubs..."

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I don't think there is any correlation between Ashworth's arrival and Hughton's departure. The wheels were coming off before Ashworth's arrival, plain and simple.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't think there is any correlation between Ashworth's arrival and Hughton's departure. The wheels were coming off before Ashworth's arrival, plain and simple.

But they weren't coming off before the announcement of his arrival in September 2018. There's no correlation between a successful manager becoming unsuccessful after the announcement of a Technical Director being appointed, and then actually joining?

It seems a perfectly plausible partial explanation to me: Chris felt (he would be initially, and then was) undermined and his performance dropped. Not possible?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But they weren't coming off before the announcement of his arrival in September 2018. There's no correlation between a successful manager becoming unsuccessful after the announcement of a Technical Director being appointed, and then actually joining?

It seems a perfectly plausible partial explanation to me: Chris felt (he would be initially, and then was) undermined and his performance dropped. Not possible?

Nah. You're reaching here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Very possible.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree, with this especially the way you have worded. No one is to blame, but I suspected at the time it would rock the apple cart a little one way or other and was probably the writing on the wall for Chris.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you don't know and you totally contradict yourself or try to sow seeds of doubt, what the hell is your thread actually about?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This. If Dan! Dan! had that much influence then Winstanley would have been out the door today already. Though his days are hopefully numbered.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree, with this especially the way you have worded. No one is to blame, but I suspected at the time it would rock the apple cart a little one way or other and was probably the writing on the wall for Chris.

Yep, I'm glad that you picked up on the fact that I'm not apportioning blame, as I'm not. I saw it as the writing on the wall for Winstanley, rather than Chris. It's a real shame if it was for anyone, but I do think it possibly was.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
This. If Dan! Dan! had that much influence then Winstanley would have been out the door today already. Though his days are clearly numbered.

Yup. We don't seem to be able to get the recruitment bit right at all (in terms of who is running it). Maybe Ashworth will have better luck with that. But also, Ashworth is unlikely to have too much say in Hughton's successor.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you don't know and you totally contradict yourself or try to sow seeds of doubt, what the hell is your thread actually about?

I'm not sure how I've totally contradicted myself. Please tell me how?

What's the thread about? Positing an idea that Ashworth's appointment has in some direct way contributed to Chris' dismissal - some agree with that idea. Some don't. :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ashworth was appointed long before 12 Feb.

If you think his actual arrival had impact, what kind of things do you think he did from day one to upset the apple cart?

Also, one of the very worst performances of the season was two weeks before - on Jan 29.

You'd be better of examining changes in formation, the use (and non-use) of new signings, injuries... and the social calendars of players.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not sure how I've totally contradicted myself. Please tell me how?

What's the thread about? Positing an idea that Ashworth's appointment has in some direct way contributed to Chris' dismissal - some agree with that idea. Some don't. :shrug:

Because you come out with some garbage whilst saying you simply don't know. If you don't know then why start a meaningless thread? It always has to be someone else's fault for the happy clappers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dan Ashworth started work with the Albion on 12 Feb 2019.

There were 26 matches in the 2018/19 PL season before 12 Feb 2019. At that point we were 14th in the League, with 27 points. PPG = 1.04.

Since 12 Feb 2019, there have been 12 PL games. We finished in 17th, having achieved a further 9 points from those 12 games. PPG = 0.75.

And people said that the appointment of Ashworth wouldn't upset the applecart.

Some, including me, said it would, at least in the short term, and these stats would support the argument that it did. And, arguably, Hughton lost his job as a consequence.

Note: I am not saying that Ashworth's a bad bloke, nor that his appointment isn't in the best mid/long-term interest of the club as I simply don't know. Rather, I'm simply saying that I called it as a "fudge" at the time of his appointment (albeit with my predicted victim being Winstanley, not Hughton), and that (tongue firmly in cheek) "...after all there’s no history of an incoming Technical Director having caused internal ructions in other pro football clubs..."

I alluded to this very thing on a post on the Hughton Sacked thread and in a chat with a few Brighton fans.

I don't think there was any deliberate attempt to destabilse things but any slight tension between the two could certainly have had an adverse effect. I can't imagine their future visions for the club / business were the same because, if they were, there would have been no point getting Ashworth in.

I have thought what you posted before. Our form before Ashworth was WAY better than after. And we've seen what I would call briefings to the press as well. That Independant story about arguments between CH and the players. The Metro story about the players going on the piss. I'm not saying for a minute that they were briefed by DA but my opinion is that they had to come from somewhere. So either someone internally had it in for CH or someone outside the club, with a rival, saw there was an opportunity to sow discord with a well placed word to a journo mate.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ashworth was appointed long before 12 Feb.

If you think his actual arrival had impact, what kind of things do you think he did from day one to upset the apple cart?

Also, one of the very worst performances of the season was two weeks before - on Jan 29.

You'd be better of examining changes in formation, the use (and non-use) of new signings, injuries... and the social calendars of players.

Our PPG in the period between the announcement of his appointment and his actual arrival dropped marginally (but not statistically significantly) from the average of the six games of this season that preceded the announcement - that's why I didn't cite the appointment date.

What could he have done? Well, his job, as defined by PB in the announcement would have butted right up against those of PB, CH, and PW. Previously, three people were covering all the tasks. After his appointment, four people were now covering those same tasks - it is utterly inevitable that friction would have occurred somewhere as Ashworth carved out his niche. That friction could have resulted in Hughton feeling less secure, &/or less valued and thus affected his performance.

Or - it may be the players' social calendars, as you posit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Because you come out with some garbage whilst saying you simply don't know. If you don't know then why start a meaningless thread? It always has to be someone else's fault for the happy clappers.

If you care to check, you'll see that I have never offered an opinion about whether Chris should stay or leave. Not once.

Your premise, that I'm a happy clapper, is "garbage".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here