Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sacking Hughton and racial implications

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Jesus wept. It’s not like Bloom was the chairman who hired him in the first place....oh wait...

He was sacked because we have been utter GASH. Nothing to do with race.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"The solution is not to give more black people jobs in football, the solution is to give black people, women, homosexuals more respect in life, then that will filter up.

"Until we change our perception of a BAME person's capabilities, in all walks of life, we will be given less opportunities and less time to succeed."

Sounds like he's blaming it on racism to me...

He was making a general comment regarding society as a whole, not for the reason Brighton and Hove Football Club sacked Chris Hughton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Accept he doesn't say anything of the sort, and I watched the interview as well as read your link.

It appears some of our fans are desperate to make more of this racial link in the media than there actually is.

What about Troy Townsend's comments in relation to Dan Ashworth, and Dan Ashworth's job at England?

"Once [Dan Ashworth] was in place Chris was doomed."

"Do you remember what happened during Ashworth’s time in his last job [with England]?"​

A reminder of what was said about Ashworth when at England:

“He’s been there since 2012 and these issues have been raised – a lack of diversity, a lack of black coaches"​

Or are you just ignoring this bit?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Unfortunately it is this sort of reporting which actually sets organisations like 'Kick It Out' backwards. CH lost his job due to footballing reasons. The colour of his skin made no difference and I for one never even had a second thought on the colour of his skin throughout the 4 and half years he was with us!! We, as a club, must be one of the most progressive and all this type of nonsense does is put off other clubs from hiring as they will be scared stiff to move a manager on if they feel he his not performing (just as any other manager would be) as these goons will play the race card...………………..gets my goat!!

This.

Black players/managers wrongly 'calling out' Brighton for a racially motivated sacking has probably made the BAME issue ten times worse. What they are doing through mis-guided virtue signalling is making it almost completely impossible for a club to hire a black manager. No club in their right mind is going to take on a manager that they are not allowed to sack without being labelled racist, or part of some kind of ant-BAME conspiracy. Absolute ****ing twunts.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Knee-jerk Bandwagon Jumping.

Nothing else to see here

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
"Until we change our perception of a BAME person's capabilities, in all walks of life, we will be given less opportunities and less time to succeed."

I am really uncomfortable about this quote. The implication seems to be if Chris Hughton were white he would have been given more time. Many clubs this season have jettisoned managers after far shorter runs of poor results so I don't think this stands up at all as far as the Albion are concerned.

To be sure there is a debate to be had about the poor numbers of BAME managers, but maybe the the time to do it is every time a club that has never appointed a non-white manager announces yet another white manager.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What about Troy Townsend's comments in relation to Dan Ashworth, and Dan Ashworth's job at England?

"Once [Dan Ashworth] was in place Chris was doomed."

"Do you remember what happened during Ashworth’s time in his last job [with England]?"​

A reminder of what was said about Ashworth when at England:

“He’s been there since 2012 and these issues have been raised – a lack of diversity, a lack of black coaches"​

Or are you just ignoring this bit?

As far as I can tell, Troy Townsend isn't part of the media as a whole, and has been effectively stirring up a bit of attention for himself and the cause he represents through making some insinuations.

So yes, I am happy to treat his tweets as just that, his tweets, and not get my knickers in a twist that everyone in football is viewing this as somehow racist, which on the whole I cannot see anyone that is.

Now as the leading representative of Kick It Out, we might wish to criticise Troy for the way he is going about this, but the moment Bloom appointed Ashworth with the baggage he carries from his time at St George's Park, this was likely to be a link to come out, especially given we've sacked Chris without any real failure other than some bad performances.

So not ignoring it, just not as I said getting into the hyperbole that everyone else is making this about race.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe I'm in a complete minority in not seeing that the rest of the footballing world and media making the sacking of Hughton about race.

They are linking Hughton being a prominent BAME manager with the general discussion about inclusion in the sport, but nothing, literally nothing that suggests Brighton have in anyway discriminated against Hughton.

This is what social media is though isn't it. Now a load of people on this thread believe that is what is being said, when it isn't. And so the wheel turns.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He was making a general comment regarding society as a whole, not for the reason Brighton and Hove Football Club sacked Chris Hughton.

Really? So why didn't he make that comment independently away from an interview asking him about the dismissal of Hughton?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
There's a wonderful quote from C. S. Lewis that could be applied here. I'd link but I'm a technophobe. Please somebody type into a search engine "C. S. Lewis - suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities" and link it up here. We've nearly all been guilty of what Lewis touches on but it's rather reprehensible.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Typical of the world we now live in. Too many, wehn things don't go their way, scream 'racial prejudice'. At an yearly appointment with the nurse at my doctors (who looks after my heart condition and medication) I found her very upset. A black patient, when refused antibiotics for a minor complaint apparently not neccesitating such medication, complained vociferously that it was racial discrimination. And Kick it out seem to me to identify discriminatiion where it quite literally doesn't exist. Shame on the Telegraph for giving them space so to do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? So why didn't he make that comment independently away from an interview asking him about the dismissal of Hughton?

Because he was asked by the interviewer directly about BAME managers as a whole. It was the interviewer that led him to that live on SNN.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Be funny if accused Barnes and co of racism by reply I.e. anti semitism. I mean, I know Barnes won’t know Tony’s Jewish but ignorance didn’t save Danny Baker!

It’s all getting a bit too Jehovah sketch from Life of Brian for me. Happy Summer everyone, I’m off for a break. Typical Brighton, the day after the season finishes and we’re lead story...!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As far as I can tell, Troy Townsend isn't part of the media as a whole, and has been effectively stirring up a bit of attention for himself and the cause he represents through making some insinuations.

So yes, I am happy to treat his tweets as just that, his tweets, and not get my knickers in a twist that everyone in football is viewing this as somehow racist, which on the whole I cannot see anyone that is.

Now as the leading representative of Kick It Out, we might wish to criticise Troy for the way he is going about this, but the moment Bloom appointed Ashworth with the baggage he carries from his time at St George's Park, this was likely to be a link to come out, especially given we've sacked Chris without any real failure other than some bad performances.

So not ignoring it, just not as I said getting into the hyperbole that everyone else is making this about race.

Out of interest, who is everyone else?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There's a wonderful quote from C. S. Lewis that could be applied here. I'd link but I'm a technophobe. Please somebody type into a search engine "C. S. Lewis - suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities" and link it up here. We've nearly all been guilty of what Lewis touches on but it's rather reprehensible.

Um I would post the link but it's about time you reigned in your technophobia.

Just copy the web address and past it in the comment. The link will then work automatically :)

Interesting quote

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, 'Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that,' or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything -- God and our friends and ourselves included -- as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.

C S Lewis Mere Christianity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here