Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sacking Hughton and racial implications

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So we sacked hewton a black manager
We sacked gus pooyeyt. A swarthy foreign type
We sacked hype eeya. A blonde foreign type
Probably sacked oscar the grouch...another swarthy foreign type.

YEs we are a bunch of racists .

The evidence is all there to see mr daily mirror person of colour reporter

We also sacked Micky Adams, a Yorkshireman....... so we must be

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I get what you were trying to say, and I wasn’t offended by it (whatever the **** that even means anyway), my point was that putting something up like that is asking for legal trouble for NSC, which isn’t fair.

I don't believe you (whatever the **** that even means anyway, you seemed offended), but, whatever, let bygones be the springboard for lots of spite and disagreement in the future. It keeps this place turning over, after all.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Equal opportunity means that BAME managers pay the same price for bad results as anyone else. Being black confers no special privileges.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
There ARE no racial implications IMHO. Just the traditional sacking of a manager on the back of a piss poor string of results. Is CH supposed to be patronised with special treatment? Pretty sure that's the last thing he'd want.

Highlights? You have to have some sort of shots or score goals for a highlights package - ours would be damn short!

Accept he doesn't say anything of the sort, and I watched the interview as well as read your link.

It appears some of our fans are desperate to make more of this racial link in the media than there actually is.

Indeed, a bit pathetic really. There are certainly people falling over themselves to have an argument about race here but it ain't the Hughton supporters

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
A Mirror reporter being an absolute dickhead? Who would've thought it!
He seems to be getting suitably shot down there and rightly so, what a complete tool.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, 'Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that,' or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything -- God and our friends and ourselves included -- as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.

C S Lewis Mere Christianity.

See Donald Trump. Oops, sorry, wrong thread...

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I think all of it is well worth ignoring. We play defensive football and the TV pundits, SNS crowd are calling us a disgrace to the PL, they hope we go down etc etc.
We get rid of our defensive tactics manager and we are a racist club who deserve to go down.....

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
It had ZERO to do with that and if anything we are one of only a handful of clubs who SHOULD be immune to this.

Have you heard of unconscious bias, look it up its not just football it happens at big firms too. CH should not have got sacked for what he has achieved at a minimum he should have been given ten games at the start of the next season. Chris has been made a scapegoat, the recruiting method is shocking which Chris has little say on. He cracked on with what he was given and met his goals.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Have you heard of unconscious bias, look it up its not just football it happens at big firms too. CH should not have got sacked for what he has achieved at a minimum he should have been given ten games at the start of the next season. Chris has been made a scapegoat, the recruiting method is shocking which Chris has little say on. He cracked on with what he was given and met his goals.

Where's the Palacefinder General when you need him?

Never read such total bollox; we appointed two black managers. Which other club has ever done that? We also have a black U23 coach. To even suggest that the sacking had anything to do with colour is pitiful and pathetic.

Sacking CH now was the right thing to do. It means whoever comes in can have input on the retained list, new signings and have a full pre-season with the squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
the recruiting method is shocking which Chris has little say on. He cracked on with what he was given and met his goals.

In that case we've done him a favour, right?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'd rather have a manager in charge that was winning games than have one appointed purely because of the colour of his/her skin. People playing the race card is embarrassing at the best if times, but when we have Powell, Bong, Locadia, Bissouma, izquerdo, not to mention many employees throughout the club....load of clickbait bullshit.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Indeed. What a lod of old bollocks this is.

There is a interesting article in the Standard tonight about a clothing house that has ripped of a painting to make a shirt design (it is a ludicrous bit of theft, without doubt) but the artist is moaning about theft from a 'queer black' artist. WTAF has the ethnicity and suxual preference got to do with anything?

In the case of CH, the sight of people claiming a racists agenda is beyond absurd. It is only because he is so well liked that his job security has gone unquestioned so long, and his skin tone has never ever been relevant. To suggest he is a victim because of his 'race'.....I am really angry about this for every possible reason.

As someone who deplores discrimination I am seeing people inadvertently undermining the fight against racists by this. Have these clowns never read the story of the boy who cried wolf? This simply plays into the hands of those who enjoy sneering at folk for "playing the race card", and "being offended on behalf of others"

Edit: Just seen the post by [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION]. Top work :facepalm: :wanker:

As usual, you hit the nail on the head. I would consider myself fairly - but not ridiculously - hot on political correctness, but to try and claim that CH being relieved of his duties was in any way racist is ridiculous beyond words.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Where's the Palacefinder General when you need him?

Never read such total bollox; we appointed two black managers. Which other club has ever done that? We also have a black U23 coach. To even suggest that the sacking had anything to do with colour is pitiful and pathetic.

Sacking CH now was the right thing to do. It means whoever comes in can have input on the retained list, new signings and have a full pre-season with the squad.

Yep, where's the questioning of clubs who've not got any BAME managers or coaches?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I have heard of unconscious bias. I cover it a lot in work we do on D&I for large organizations.

From what we know, there is no evidence to suggest that there is a problem with institutional racism inside BHA. There simply isn’t any way you or anyone else can level that accusation.

What is happening here is that this story is being used as a blunt instrument to talk about the lack of BAME managers in the professional game. But we are conflating stories here. It’s not helpful all round.

As you’ll know unconscious bias is something we all have, no matter who we are or where we come from. It is not the preserve of any one race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think all of it is well worth ignoring. We play defensive football and the TV pundits, SNS crowd are calling us a disgrace to the PL, they hope we go down etc etc.
We get rid of our defensive tactics manager and we are a racist club who deserve to go down.....

100% this.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Unconscious bias is certainly something everyone should be vigilant to. But I think the most irritating thing about that misguided tweet is that the endgame here is a situation where boardrooms are even less likely to appoint BAME candidates because they will fear being accused of racism if they ever want to sack them for perfectly valid reasons (winning two games in five months, say). It's insulting to fans and those at the club who care about Kick it Out.

There is obviously a really important ongoing debate to be had about why, say, Lampard gets a cushty entry job while Sol starts at Macc. This ridiculous insinuation that Albion are racist diverts energy and focus from that conversation and dilutes the clarity of evidence around a major problem in the game.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Utter cobblers!

I have seen nothing from any responsible journalists. We knew his colour before we hired him. That seems like the ill informed screams if "discrimination" WHENEVER something adverse happens to a coloured person......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here