Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sacking Hughton and racial implications

Genuinely surprised at the backlash from some quarters that seem to suggest some sort of racial motivation for the sacking of Hughton.

I can't see this as being anything other than BAD for the progression of BAME managers in the game, since it could conceivably make others think twice about recruiting a black manager, because they fear that when it comes time to sack him in the future (because that's what happens to most football managers), they'll likely be accused or racism.

[tweet]1127867347803496450[/tweet]

[tweet]1127891896678977539[/tweet]

[tweet]1127880021673033728[/tweet]

Surely you are misrepresenting Naylor? It’s a very measured point

Can’t be bothered to read the other two who I’ve never heard of

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
1. I'm sure that Chris Hughton will be disappointed that those involved are trying to turn his dismissal into a race issue. He's been around football long enough to realise that if a team does badly ( 2 league wins in 2019 ) then the Manager gets the chop.

2. How many African footballing nations employ Black Managers?

3. If Brighton's Manager had been White, would Bloom have not sacked him under the same circumstances?

Those Black managers who have lost their jobs in the past have done so due to bad results not down to the colour of their skin. What a sad state of affairs!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My view is that all the campaigning throughout the war years was to fight for the club's right to continue to exist. Not for the right to say what it would become. DK showed he could be brutal in his sackings. TB has shown likewise. Both hugely fair and decent guys, but both not afraid to take the hard decisions to protect the bottom line and the revenue streams. Doubtless our very own Wolfie Smith will be on here later with much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the commercial evils of the modern game, hopefully not in verse. But like it or loathe it, PL Moneyball what the club desperately yearns to be part of. It's all about return on investment now, while trying to Treat Customers Fairly. And why not? Be under no illusions, the plastics will be equally brutal in withdrawing their 'support' of the club in the event of any relegation.

You're quite right of course, you only just need two hands to count how many Brighton managers make it passed 3 seasons in our history!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can picture it now. Bloom heads home after the Man City game, opens a bottle of wine and his wife asks how his day was
"Really nice actually. Sure we were beaten but I was really pleased with the effort in the first half. Chris and I took a really nice photo together after the game"
"Oh really? Can I see it?"
"Sure.........hang on a second.......oh my god"
"What's wrong Tony? You look shocked"
"I've never noticed before.......is ........is Chris black?"
"yes Tony. Clearly he is black"
"I'll be right back. I need to make a call".

Yep. Definitely because he is black.

Fake controversy. Bozza?

Perfectly legitimate for a lot of people to mourn the departure of a high profile black manager. Doesn’t follow at all they are saying he should be kept on just because he is black.

Of course all the political correctness gone mad Littlejohns on here are lapping it up. Boring

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fake controversy. Bozza?

Perfectly legitimate for a lot of people to mourn the departure of a high profile black manager. Doesn’t follow at all they are saying he should be kept on just because he is black.

Of course all the political correctness gone mad Littlejohns on here are lapping it up. Boring

Amazing. Click through the links and you can see there is no implication of us being discriminatory at all.

It's very odd to react to hyperbole on social media by reacting with hyperbole. :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Those Darren Lewis tweets are repulsive. We get there is a problem Darren, watch the highlights reel from our season- this is NOTHING to do with skin colour.

Is that the same Darren Lewis who tried to stitch Millwall fans up v the Albion some years back? Said they were singing 'Sieg Heil' when it was actually us singing 'Seagulls'. And accused Millwall of booing one of their black players, when they were actually booing the decision to sub him?

If it's the same bloke, then he's patently working to his own shit-stirring agenda.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This is ridiculous, it really is, this (as well all know) has NOTHING to do with race.

Ultimately only one man can quell this kind of thing, Chris. If he were to release a statement acknowledging his doubtless massive disappointment re the decision, but reaffirming Brighton as a club with a genuine inclusivity... well... it might help. WIll he, would you?? hmmmmmm I think he may say something at some point, but (regardless) I can't believe he'd be happy that the club are being accused of betraying the under represented demographics in the game and what's more: deliberately.

I'd be very careful even hinting at this if I were in the public eye.

This one could run on for a while... sadly.

Man; this is worse than 'Poyet gate.'

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Look I think it's a ridiculous statement too.

But..... I think all of us were surprised by the decision. It did seem massively unlikely yesterday that CH would not have been given at least until Christmas to prove what he can do.
Some people have taken that surprise and added Race into the argument, by asking " If Chris had been white, would he have got longer?" Plenty of people think we should have.
Tony mayhave to break certain confidentialities and come out and say exactly what his reasoning was. That isn't likely to happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fake controversy. Bozza?

Amazing. Click through the links and you can see there is no implication of us being discriminatory at all.

It's very odd to react to hyperbole on social media by reacting with hyperbole. :shrug:

Troy Townsend seems to be drawing very clear links between Dan Ashworth, the controversy at England and Hughton's sacking.

[tweet]1127900968954290176[/tweet]

[tweet]1127901659357642752[/tweet]

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Ridiculous and very dangerous shite reporting that suggest the club is racist. He should be had up deformation charges, as should every bandwagon journo looking to sell column inches with incendiary racial comments that have no factual basis, just the twisted opinion of c**ts. Utter drivel does not even come close. Next it will be 'revelations' about the heritage of Mr Bloom and his blatantly Zionist approach to the running of our club - cue pics of Palestine bomb craters and old photos of Blooms' grandad with a Union Jack.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I’ve thought this for a while but I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that a town with the recent history of Burnley and a set of fans who openly abuse Bong over a race-related issue are the only ones in the country sending out an all-white squad every single week.

Burnley have 30 first team players
As far as I can see 7 are non-british or irish
In that 7 are Nahki Wells and Chris Wood and Vydra who it feels like have been in English football forever.

I can never work out if this is a really nice thing that Dyche clearly prefers british players or weird.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We wanted the praise for having Hughton in charge, so we have to accept the criticism having now fired him. And you can understand the opinions from outside of the club - on the face of it, it's not a good firing. But those of us who have followed us all season, seen the "performances" and sense the total drop in standards throughout the whole team, it's no surprise.

I suspect that Hughton's, "we're lucky to be playing at this level" repeated mantra hasn't helped either. Last season we were happy to be here, playing at a new level, etc. This season, however, we've built a quality team. We have good players all over the pitch but the tactics have been a joke, the team has gone backwards and individuals are not performing anywhere near their potential because they're being used out of natural position. I'm sorry to see Hughton leave, but there's no hint of anything other than footballing reasons for the decision to fire him.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't really know how angry to feel about this. It's so ridiculous and so clearly not true that I mostly feel embarassment for anyone who would suggest it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here