Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sacking Hughton and racial implications

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adrian Durham had a massive rant about how they sacked Moore because they couldn’t see a black manager holding up a trophy.

He did. If he does that about Hughton having slagged off his tactics for months, the bloke is 100 per cent a total tool.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's important to take a step back and breath in.

Some folk have issued an emotional reaction and got their sums wrong. But not many. The most far reaching media is not a gospel of truth.

This is far from a majority view.

The point that it could be a step back for BAME management has some validity. But this is different, in any sensible mind, to the reasoning behind the move.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Darren Lewis is no fool. Puts it out there as clickbait, to enhance his media prominence.

Ridiculous stirring about the club possibly at the forefront in tackling prejudices, by deeds

But he is. In fact he’s a prize one for believing this has anything to do with colour. Would love to see him sued for deformation

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why can't all these tree hugging yoghurt knitting professional complainers just f**k off. They have become a disease in our society.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
On SSN earlier, it was just about the first thing John Barnes said too when asked about his reaction to the sacking - that this was an example why BAME managers don't succeed in the game. It's completely and utterly ludicrous and frankly an insult to the club and Tony Bloom and to anyone who has worked to try to eradicate racism from the world of football. It's such a serious issue but it won't be tackled properly if these frankly dumb-ass arguments come out every time a BAME manager is sacked.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is no racism involved here, and screaming 'racism' where it doesn't exist does no good whatsoever to the BAME cause, it just pi$$es everyone else off.

Perhaps their energies would be better spent ensuring that whenever The Dambusters is shown on a Sunday afternoon, the name of Guy Gibson's dog is bleeped out. Pillocks.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Lets be clear here - No one is saying that this is a racially motivated sacking - it is definitely NOT

In the footballing Industry, when managers get sacked they are paid over the limits of what any of them would win at a Tribunal. And that is at every Club. The only sackings which are ''unlimited'' are race discrimination

That hasn't happened in this instance. I would be all over it, if it was.

The comments by Troy are not helpful at this point in time. It is bourn out of frustration that when there is a little bit of progress, then sackings of black managers appear to set us back a bit in the search for some equality.

Chris has a high standing in the football world and he is one of the few who has the reputation to bounce back at the higher levels. yes by all means point to how few BME managers there are. That's a fact - He isn't saying this is a race related sacking.

The ensuing debate to his article are carrying it in that direction and it really shouldn't. It doesn't mean we don't have the debate. Chris will be back at a high level. I have no doubt about that and that will drive numbers back up again. Will more black managers get the opportunities. I am less sure about that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suppose this is it though. The journey. From Hereford to here. We're where we battled to be, I guess.

My view is that all the campaigning throughout the war years was to fight for the club's right to continue to exist. Not for the right to say what it would become. DK showed he could be brutal in his sackings. TB has shown likewise. Both hugely fair and decent guys, but both not afraid to take the hard decisions to protect the bottom line and the revenue streams. Doubtless our very own Wolfie Smith will be on here later with much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the commercial evils of the modern game, hopefully not in verse. But like it or loathe it, PL Moneyball what the club desperately yearns to be part of. It's all about return on investment now, while trying to Treat Customers Fairly. And why not? Be under no illusions, the plastics will be equally brutal in withdrawing their 'support' of the club in the event of any relegation.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
NOT A SINGLE BAME manager in the Championship, but yeah why not focus on the club that just sacked one, who happened to be BAME.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He is the most high profile BAME manager, and one of the few English managers in the Premier League. Hardly a surprise it again highlights the under representation in the game for coaching and managers, not only BAME, but English too. Who do we have left in the top flight, Hodgson, Howe and Dyche. Warnock on his way.

What can appear from the outside as success, your neck is still on the line if you don't play the right type of football, even before you worry about results.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Lets be clear here - No one is saying that this is a racially motivated sacking - it is definitely NOT

In the footballing Industry, when managers get sacked they are paid over the limits of what any of them would win at a Tribunal. And that is at every Club. The only sackings which are ''unlimited'' are race discrimination

That hasn't happened in this instance. I would be all over it, if it was.

The comments by Troy are not helpful at this point in time. It is bourn out of frustration that when there is a little bit of progress, then sackings of black managers appear to set us back a bit in the search for some equality.

Chris has a high standing in the football world and he is one of the few who has the reputation to bounce back at the higher levels. yes by all means point to how few BME managers there are. That's a fact - He isn't saying this is a race related sacking.

The ensuing debate to his article are carrying it in that direction and it really shouldn't. It doesn't mean we don't have the debate. Chris will be back at a high level. I have no doubt about that and that will drive numbers back up again. Will more black managers get the opportunities. I am less sure about that.

Troy Townsend's comments are rarely helpful, so far as I've noticed. The BAME cause could have a far wiser figurehead, with far better judgement, IMO.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sorry but what the hell.

I appreciate the argument that BAME managers are not getting the OPPORTUNITIES but we already GAVE HIM A JOB and it was the SAME CHAIRMAN who relieved him of his role after what we can all describe as a very poor second half of the season.

I'm not criticising Hughton here, I was DEVASTATED when I heard he had gone, I'm making the point that it's not a sacking out of the blue by a new chairman.

How can race even be brought into this?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Darren Lewis is one of the worst football journos out there. He's basically just a shit stirring self publicist. All his opinions are designed to appeal to the armchair fan who has very little knowledge of football and just swallow what the read in the tabloids or hear on Sky news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here