Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Damned whatever we did apparently.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We are relegation favourites next season whatever we did according to pundits on ssn we would of been had Chris still been in charge and still are irrespective of who is in charge

The difference being the manner in which you get relegated. Would Hughton have gone to Old Trafford on the final day and won 2-0?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We are relegation favourites next season whatever we did according to pundits on ssn we would of been had Chris still been in charge and still are irrespective of who is in charge

We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league, da da da da da da da da, da da da da da da da da, da da da da da da da da da!

We're gonna win the league.

Maybe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How many times did Cardiff climb above the relegation line this season?

at least for half the season, we looked dead cert for survival

Thank God the season was only 38 games long and not the 42 of old!

I fancy if we'd have kept Hughton next season we'd have not just have been relegated but potentially with one of the all-time lowest goal tallies to boot. The fact Cardiff got anywhere near us with their squad is alarming, and I totally get why Bloom sacked Hughton.

Indeed, nobody could accuse Bloom of a knee-jerk reaction as the performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff were Hyypia-esque, but Bloom rightly gave him until the end of the season to try and see out the job.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Thank God the season was only 38 games long and not the 42 of old!

I fancy if we'd have kept Hughton next season we'd have not just have been relegated but potentially with one of the all-time lowest goal tallies to boot. The fact Cardiff got anywhere near us with their squad is alarming, and I totally get why Bloom sacked Hughton.

Indeed, nobody could accuse Bloom of a knee-jerk reaction as the performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff were Hyypia-esque, but Bloom rightly gave him until the end of the season to try and see out the job.

I thought he did see out the job.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
One thing I have learnt from this episode is not to comment on other teams internal affairs. So many of the comments from other fans in the BBC comments section and even some journalists on Twitter are utterly clueless.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, I've read 30-odd comments and it's clear your average football fan thinks Bloom has made a mistake.

This is - in the main - because most fans think down in the bottom 5 or 6 is where we belong, but then most of these types of clubs don't have a chairman like Tony Bloom.

A lot of these fans need to look at the bigger picture and appreciate what Bloom has built, and how far this club has come in the last decade. He has got the majority of his decisions right in business and at this club, he is doing it the right way. The converse of this is the future of clubs like Bournemouth and Palace that could rest on Eddie Howe and Zaha staying put because without them they could collapse like a pack of cards.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Because the general public seem to think that we sacked Hughton because 17th wasn’t good enough.

Bloom sacked him because he didn’t believe he could deliver 17th next season.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Same as the last 2 seasons. Clueless. Writing us off before we have appointed a new manager never mind any new signings.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

We are not now and never have been "relegation favourites". We have been odds-on for relegation once, for a few days, since being promoted - after losing our first two games last season. We are not even in the bottom three in the betting, and weren't before we sacked the manager who got us promoted to the Premier League, and kept us there.

The first six words of this thread are a demonstrable falsehood, but a convenient lie all the same when some want to make themselves feel better about how shamefully fickle their "loyalty" to the best manager we've ever had has turned out to be.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
We are not now and never have been "relegation favourites". We have been odds-on for relegation once, for a few days, since being promoted - after losing our first two games last season. We are not even in the bottom three in the betting, and weren't before we sacked the manager who got us promoted to the Premier League, and kept us there.

The first six words of this thread are a demonstrable falsehood, but a convenient lie all the same when some want to make themselves feel better about how shamefully fickle their "loyalty" to the best manager we've ever had has turned out to be.

Have you been to the games this season? Bloom was left with no choice. The atmosphere in the dressing was clearly disintegrating. Hughton has looked incapable of drilling this squad with the cohesiveness to attack decisively and swiftly enough to be able to remain in this division next season. Yes he did a great job getting us to the Premier league but if there's no ability to transition from defence into attack we stand no chance next season. Absolutely the right time for a change. It's not a knee jerk reaction, he's had two seasons in the premier league. It's a relief there will be some new ideas coming in.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Have you been to the games this season? Bloom was left with no choice. The atmosphere in the dressing was clearly disintegrating. Hughton has looked incapable of drilling this squad with the cohesiveness to attack decisively and swiftly enough to be able to remain in this division next season. Yes he did a great job getting us to the Premier league but if there's no ability to transition from defence into attack we stand no chance next season. Absolutely the right time for a change. It's not a knee jerk reaction, he's had two seasons in the premier league. It's a relief there will be some new ideas coming in.

Yes, lots of games: good, bad and indifferent. I was there when we beat Manchester United for the second season running and looked very comfortable as we did it. Were you? And when we beat Palace with 10 men. How about you? Couldn't make the FA Cup semi-final sadly, most annoying as I was at the first one in 1983 but most reports suggest we played very well. Do you not agree?

I was there for Cardiff and Bournemouth too. Ugly, for sure, but it looked to me like a team suffering a collective crisis of confidence after a poor run, at least some of which was down to nothing more than bad luck, not one where the "atmosphere in the dressing [room] was clearly disintegrating". Unless you're the kit man, that's pure conjecture.

Whatever it was, though, Hughton saw it too - and responded. He went back to the team that got promoted, steadied the ship and ground out the results - including a point at both Wolves and Arsenal - that kept us in the Premier League. Crisis management is part of the job, and he did it successfully - much more so than either of us would have done, I fancy. And then got the tin tack a day after the last game with no chance to pick up the thread of what has been, overall, steady and sustained progress since the day he arrived.

There seems to be a big crossover on here between people who say it was the right decision to sack him, and those who were noisily claiming a couple of months ago that we were certain to be relegated if we didn't "get rid" and bring in A N Other manager - Big Sam? - and now hate being shown up as fickle, whiney pessimists who took all of a fortnight to lose faith in the most successful manager we've ever had. Bloom most certainly had a choice, let's hope he and we don't end up looking back on it as the worst he's ever made.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One thing I have learnt from this episode is not to comment on other teams internal affairs. So many of the comments from other fans in the BBC comments section and even some journalists on Twitter are utterly clueless.

Yeah. The view of most neutrals (exacerbated by Paul Hayward's article in the Telegraph) is that we're a bunch of greedy racist upstarts with ideas above our station. And the irony is I bet a lot of these people are the same ones who sneered at our negative tactics, called us the 'new Stoke' and hoped we got relegated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here