Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could the Club have handled Chris's Sacking Better

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere

Do you think the club could have handled the announcement of Chris's sacking better, and if so how?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No. That’s how it’s done (and who knows what discussions had already taken place with CH, how he wanted it to be handled, etc).

It’s between him and the club. Move on.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes. As said on the other thread, should have said late last week that he would be leaving at the end of the season and given everyone a chance to give him a send off on Sunday alongside Bruno

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. As said on the other thread, should have said late last week that he would be leaving at the end of the season and given everyone a chance to give him a send off on Sunday alongside Bruno

1) He was sacked, not resigned. So could not complete duties after being sacked.
2) With the Premier League title race I am glad we did not leave a man in charge who knew he was off. Imagine the sh*t we'd get?
3) He got a send off in the lap of honour

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is there ever a right way or wrong way to be sacked from a job? In any walk of life?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What, like keep it a big secret, only tell all the players and fans before serenading him with there’s only one CH at the end of the match yesterday before announcing on the BIG SCREEN with a little montage of here are your best bits? Come on, this is getting silly now. Not as if we did it by text and Tony isn’t giving him an enormous golden goodbye.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

So you would hang around for your card and brown envelope collection after you had been sacked so your customers could say good bye?

D

Deleted member 2719

No, It's a sacking for not performing and given him and his agent plenty of chance to look for another club.

It really is the highest pressured industry and I am sure Chris has big enough balls to take it on the chin and look for a championship side, surely Leeds will be looking again when they screw the playoffs up.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't really see how to be honest (and realistic).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you believe the rumours, he was offered a chance to resign by mutual consent and be given the same kind of send-off as Bruno. He refused and has taken the pay-off - obviously believing he has done a decent job and deserved another season.

With that in mind, there was no better time for us to do it unless you wanted Richie Reynolds to announce it as Chris circles with pitch with his albion clad family under wing, just so we could give him an extra round of applause.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The timing was right if he had been sacked.

Nobody knows the in and outs, was he asked to resign, did he say no, who knows?

Wouldn’t have been right to let him go before the city game, nothing riding on it for us and let him go quietly.

Chris portrays himself as a private man and I doubt he knew for sure yesterday or would have wanted it communicated in front of 30,000 if he did.

He’s met his objectives during his time here and has been the best manager I have seen in my 26 years as a fan. It’s time for a change and we need to kick on.

Bluntly let’s not forget he’s no doubt been paid a staying up bonus and has been paid 2 years money on top, it’s a shame but that’s football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
It depends on whether Chris was offered the chance to leave on mutually agreed terms. He may have chosen to take the sacking to guarantee a pay off. Who really knows?

However the timing of his departure is right as it gives a new manager plenty of time to prepare for next season. Terminating his contract before yesterday would have been disrespectful. Leaving it later than today would be wasting time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I suppose the only correct answer to this question is "who knows?" apart from those directly involved.

However, I have to say that CH has always struck me as one of the most principled, dignified, decent and honest people in football.

It wouldn't suprise me at all if Hughton was offered the 'mutual consent' option in the press release but declined, saying something like 'if you want to sack me, then sack me and let's just say it how it is.' Unlike many, I can't imagine he would agree to a 'mutual consent' tagline if, from his standpoint, it wasn't.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

They may have been more behind the sacking.

He may have gone over his fist pumping allocation for the year???

We will never know.

I suspect it's for mind-numbing team performances with no real future of change.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
How exactly could we have handled it better? Sack him on live TV maybe?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Nobody knows the in and outs, was he asked to resign, did he say no, who knows?

It depends on whether Chris was offered the chance to leave on mutually agreed terms. He may have chosen to take the sacking to guarantee a pay off. Who really knows?

There have been strong rumours, before and after yesterday's game that this is the case. Pinch of salt obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here