Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe the club are right, time will tell. I'm sure that there could have been a better way of doing it though.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thickle fans on here. If the poll was yesterday you would have got completely different results

Well you could look at the question another way.

Do you trust Tony?

The answer would be a resounding yes any time you ask the question, and this is to some extent what this question is asking.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
The honest answer is don't know. The new guy could fail and we end up relegated next season and it will all be "never should have got rid of CH" but, whilst happy in principle for CH to stay, know we would be in all probability looking at another season fighting for survival.

I also really strongly suspect that there is something in the team/manager dynamics that has changed and could full well be the tipping point in terms of forcing TB's hand.

I don't think TB would get rid of CH without having explored all options so have to, ever so reluctantly, err on the side of yes.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sentiments say he’s done so much for us must have been a horrible decision to have to make. On the flip side sometimes managers and clubs all need a change. Seems a sensible time for both parties to need a change. Expect he will get a hero’s welcome though if he returns anytime with another club

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I feel sick saying yes. I hope it was done with compassion, respect, and understanding. Chris, you're locked in to my top 5 humans ever.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Probably, but it depends entirely on who we bring in.

Chris may well have kept us up again next season, but I can't see us improving from being relegation scrappers to 'middle third' (which is probably our ambition for next season) under him.

Lovely man though, and whoever appoints him as manager in the Championship next time around will be incredibly lucky to have him.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I voted "yes", however...

I've said, previously, that the only time I could see Bloom acting was if we were adrift in the bottom three heading towards Christmas. When I received the embargo-ed email notification a few minutes before 9:30, I was stunned - I really couldn't see it happening so quickly.

I'd only just posted that I am glad that the season is over. and the thought of more of the same next season was not appealing.

I love Christ Hughton to bits - he has done so much for the club and is clearly a thoroughly decent bloke - one of the best. I feel dirty saying "yes"...

The thing is the club can't gamble on us being cut adrift at Xmas. I have said before the rot has set into the players and this will be difficult to change over the summer, the club needs a new approach/clean out quick. In my eyes perfect timing. Chris is a lovely guy and has done wonders for the club, but the club must always come first.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Who is this "we" you are talking about. Potter is the bookies' favourite. I can't hear the fans clamouring to get Potter in...…

……. unless maybe it is Harry, to work his magic! Now there's an idea.

We as in the club. As fans we often talk in that manner don’t we?

‘We had a great result yesterday’ for example. Sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

Edit: maybe I should of added apparently in my original quote!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Maybe the club are right, time will tell. I'm sure that there could have been a better way of doing it though.

I'm not sure there could have been. It was a tough choice and feels disloyal to the man but it would be even worse if he was axed after a shocking run and with a toxic Falmer. Right now we can all say thanks so much and pay tribute to his massive contribution to the club rather than risk having to listen to his reputation shot to pieces by furious fans.

Maybe that situation would never happen but it's TB's call to make.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A reluctant yes.

Could Chris have improved things? Yes, maybe. Was it a risk that TB was prepared to take if he felt he had better options? No, probably not. Was it worth waiting? No - that's sitting on the fence.

However, CH has done brilliantly with the budget and players he had. I guess he thought he could do more and TB felt that results suggested he could not.

I'll be ever thankful to Chris, but I trust Tony's judgment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It could have been handled a whole lot better than this. But ultimately, much as I don't like to say it, yes it was the correct decision.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
One would need the benefit of hindsight to say for certain but I think it's unlikely we'll better 15th place next season, so I think it's a bad decision.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't know if anyone else has said it yet, but it feels very much like having a pet put to sleep. You know when its time and its the best thing to do, but you can't help feeling devasted.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A good manager who has delivered on the ambition to get Brighton into the Premier league but the second half of this season has shown that there's a limit to his ability. He's been an absolutely loyal and decent manager, he's led the club well and deserves credit for the job done but I feel it's a shame that TB and CH couldn't have reached an amicable resolution.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I voted "yes", however...

I've said, previously, that the only time I could see Bloom acting was if we were adrift in the bottom three heading towards Christmas. When I received the embargo-ed email notification a few minutes before 9:30, I was stunned - I really couldn't see it happening so quickly.

I'd only just posted that I am glad that the season is over. and the thought of more of the same next season was not appealing.

I love Christ Hughton to bits - he has done so much for the club and is clearly a thoroughly decent bloke - one of the best. I feel dirty saying "yes"...

The sentiments of many on here Bozza. I should imagine Tony Bloom was absolutely devastated to have to sack an exemplary gentleman of our club. It is a huge gamble we may never see the like of Chris Hughton again but that said it opens the door for a possible exciting new era for our club. Let's hope it is the right decision and an improvement in League stature for our club. I think Bloom feels we have come a long way but he needs to improve the fortunes of our club and now is the right time to move forward.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thickle fans on here. If the poll was yesterday you would have got completely different results

Which is probably why Bozza asked if it's right "now" . Yesterday would have been wrong, but I feel (for the first time) that now is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here