Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think its the right decision although the timing surprised me. Something seemed very wrong for the last few months and the direction of travel was very much down. I'm glad we stuck with him to the end of the season and I hope he gets another good job soon as he deserves one. For us we have expensively and painstakingly recruited an excellent back of house team with leading lights in managing the club and now in recruitment a young and progressive coach would seem to fit with that structure and I think offers the best chance of us being able to make progress against teams with bigger budgets. Find better players, coach them well, sell them at the right time and reinvest the money into better players and repeat until we have caught up with the better clubs. It will be exactly how everyone else will be planning towards too but if we can do it better then 5 or 10 years down the road who knows...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have a bad feeling this will come back to haunt us, just like Newcastle and Norwich.

Norwich have been promoted, as champions, this year with the director of football + expansive coach route and very little money involved.

They even bounced back at the first time of asking post Hughton.

Newcastle are also currently in the PL, with a manager at the helm who has won the CL.

I wouldn't mind some of that haunting.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Of course this question will only be answered next season. However if you as the owner, decided to make a managerial change, now is the right time. I am also happy with the fact that Tony Bloom is not content to just sit and watch negative backs against the wall football every week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’m Wondering if the new players we signed last summer will effectively become new new players with a change of tactics playing to their strengths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very possibly. Even yesterday I was surprised at how much better Ali J played. I know it's a pretty low base to move from – and it was only really the first half – but it's progress :shrug:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I actually think the timing is the best thing about it. Right at the start of the summer break to give as much time as possible to A)find a replacement, and B) give the replacement as much time as possible to with current players and new signings.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
I think also what's worth noting is that most of these rival fans who are commenting on our situation have not watched us play this second half of the season.

Let's be honest they would not have tolerated this rubbish at their club.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Only three league wins in the second half of the season.

Got thumped playing at home by teams below us in the league at the time the matches were played.

Watched several games where we didn't have a shot, let alone one on target.

Some players reportedly unhappy with Chris's style of play (e.g. Bissouma, one of our hopes for the future).

Yet Chris still kept us up by reverting to using primarily the players who were promoted with him from the Championship two years ago.

Hardly sustainable moving forwards if we want to integrate better players and move towards a mid Premier League position.

Chris has done a fantastic job, but he has taken us as far as he can.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
For me, it really depends on the ambition we show from here.

We need to take stock of what we have, add quality and get the right man in to oversee it. The task is a mammoth one, we are officially in transition.

If our wage structure stays the same and the same kind of money made available for transfers then I think we would have been better off with Chris.

We cannot afford another naive appointment like Hyypia.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think also what's worth noting is that most of these rival fans who are commenting on our situation have not watched us play this second half of the season.

Let's be honest they would not have tolerated this rubbish at their club.

Burnley got relegated with Dyche, promoted again, and struggled this season. He is still there.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Damn!

Just when I’d learned to spell his name.

Most of the players he was saddled with are not PL standard, and, no, I don’t know if he was in on the recruitment.

Good luck to the next fella.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I voted No probably sentimentality for what CH has done for the club on and off the pitch. I can, however, understand the wish for change. I would hope that this wasn't a spur of the moment thing and has been properly thought through with a clear idea of a replacement in mind able to marry defensive solidity with free flowing football.

I just hope that, by Christmas, it hasn't all gone base over apex. And Bloom is on the phone to Allardyce or Pulis.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Honestly, I don't know. If Hughton had been kept on, I'd have fully supported that decision. But given the last half of the season, I can't be completely against his sacking.

I guess what it boils down to is that the only person I trust more than Hughton to put the club first is Tony Bloom.

It's a sad day, imo.

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Horrible to have to say yes, but I believe it will be easier for a new head to sweep clean - someone that has no loyalties to any of the players, and who'll be able to make sensible decisions on who stays and who goes.

I absolutely loved our 1st season in the Prem - it was like a magic carpet Ride! This season has been hard to handle, given that at times, we looked clueless, against teams who were supposedly at our level.

I wish CH all the best. I'd love to see a young manager give it a go, but I'm also weary of the old 'careful what you wish for' adage.

Whatever happens, it means that the time we have before next season starts, is going to be interesting!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I voted Yes.

It's impossible to know why the decision was arrived at but there have been rumours of discontent within the playing staff, Players out and about before matches and performances on the pitch which would suggest that there is at least some truth to the rumours of trouble within the camp. Given the manager has paid the ultimate price it would suggest that things were off given players and management have been given a chance since Tony took over and Chris Hughton must have had a huge bank of credit with the board.

How this decision will be viewed longer term will be influenced by who the new manager is and how he performs. If we go down next year it's easy to say 'We should have kept Hughton' but then I think we would have done a Huddersfield next season if he'd stayed. One things for sure, by sacking Chris Hughton now there is much more chance of the board being blamed if next year goes wrong than the manager.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
A decent man who did a decent job for us and will be part of Albion folklore forever.
Sadly it was time to go and he follows in the footsteps of Mullery and Gritt who also done miracles for this club in their time here
I'm sad to see him go in the personal sense but in a footballing sense it's the right decision as he had reached the end of his use here with us if we need to push onwards and upwards with this club and TB's money

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I wish Chris all the best in what he does from here. Just hope this doesn't come back to bite us like it did for Newcastle and Norwich.

Someone replied to one of my previous comments that gentlemen don't do well in the Premier League, for me I hope Chris never changes being a humble gentleman!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We as in the club. As fans we often talk in that manner don’t we?

‘We had a great result yesterday’ for example. Sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

Edit: maybe I should of added apparently in my original quote!

I need to apologise. I have read that he is apparently one of the people we are genuinely interested in. I thought before it was just from bookies' odds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here