Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, either now or give him the window and 15 games in Autumn to turn things around. ... I think now prob for the best.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes for me.

With 11 points out of the last 51, there's no point in pretending that the 2nd half of the league season has been anything other than abysmal.

He could've gone a month ago, so for the club to allow him to see out the current season was generous to the point of blind loyalty.

A different footballing mindset is needed - one that looks to go out and win matches against one that simply wants to avoid losing them.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
No I don't think the club was right. We have a relegation team that Hughton continually managed to keep up.

I'd be amazed if the new guy can do any better without serious backing.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Lot of front-running here. The last poll was essentially 50-50%

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I wish Chris all the best in what he does from here. Just hope this doesn't come back to bite us like it did for Newcastle and Norwich.

Someone replied to one of my previous comments that gentlemen don't do well in the Premier League, for me I hope Chris never changes being a humble gentleman!

How did it bite Norwich?

Yes they went down (which a large majority thought would happen anyway) but they bounced straight back up.

They were also Champions this season playing an expansive game with the same DoF setup as we now have.

Newcastle - also in the PL with a CL winning manager.

You, and others, make it sound like his ex-clubs have suffered in his absence.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No.

Last season was very good but we went backwards this season.

I think Chris is gone because we are keeping our record signings to get them to work. That means no 4-4-1-1 any more.

I suspect we’ll go 3-4-3 or something like Wolves’ system, probably under Potter.

I think Chris could have delivered us a solid 16th (at best) next season but we’re gambling on improving with a new manager. Stoke did this. See them now.

I hope I’m wrong but I think it will be us, Norwich and Sheffield Utd down next season (with Villa staying up).

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The most reluctant yes ever but as others have stated we don’t know what was said between all parties.

It could be that on reflection CH wasn’t happy about working with DA as DOF and so rumblings of discontent have been ongoing all year hence the general underperformance all around the first team.

It could be that TB just had a gambler’s hunch that something had to give and regrettably that was CH.

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
A simple question. Was it the right decision?

A simple answer - no.

You will all regret praising this decision in 12 months time.

Thought Bloom was above this.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
No, never - our first run of trouble and we oust one of the best managers we have ever had. This is a dark day and far far beyond what I expected from this club.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Is the decision unfair on Hughton? Yes. he has achieved everything asked of him, against the odds.

Is the decision risky? Yes. The odds on us going down will shorten. Our tried and tested recipe for 'success' in this decision, may be disrupted.

Does the decision make sense? Yes. Because we have achieved our missions of being PL ready and then staying up. The club will now be defining its latest vision of success and, with Dan Ashworth's input, may have come to the view that CH is not the right fit for the next phase of its development.

Is the decision right? Who knows. Only time will tell. Tonight I'm feeling incredibly sad for Chris, but equally feel confident that TB has this club's interests at heart and is well placed to make the right decision for the right reasons.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
it's a 'No' from me. Several crucial changes were needed in 1st team playing squad anyway this summer but now it's key members of staff as well...gulp !

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
No, never - our first run of trouble and we oust one of the best managers we have ever had. This is a dark day and far far beyond what I expected from this club.

3 from 23 is not a run of trouble; it is certain relegation if repeated. Bad runs cannot last that long; you run out of road to put it right.

Put it like this: if we had started with 3 from 23 and were ensconced in bottom 3 at Xmas, would you be saying ‘first run of trouble?’. The three 1-0s were wallpaper covering a lot of cracks that appeared big time at Craven Cottage and were never repaired. I was in favour of him going after Bournemouth. He has been great, but he isn’t the future.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I voted yes, but in previous posts have said that I didn’t want him to lose his job(but that he needed help in the attacking department). If the board stopped believing in him, then it was the right thing to do. They obviously thought he’d reached his ceiling, so it was time for him to go.
I suspect he’ll be employed by a Championship club before the summer is over

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I'm just total fence, have been for ages. I just can't bring myself to vote yes on a poll like this, or any of the others, for all hes done for us..... but I just kept waiting for us to snap out of that funk, and it just never came........

completely me too, I don’t think i have ever felt so torn over a ruddy football issue. Poor Chris and even poor Tony having to pull the darn trigger.

Just hope the Club don’t regret this decision.

We will all just have to wait and see.

Bye Chris, thanks for all the good times and for what you helped us achieve, phenomenal, you did it with little old us. I for one will conveniently air brush from my memory all what was bad and look back through heavily rose tinted glasses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here