Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes. To be honest, puzzled anyone could think otherwise. It's not so much the 3 from 23. The performances against Bournemouth and particularly Cardiff were the writing on the wall for me. Something was obviously seriously wrong. A lot of changes need to happen. But you always start with the manager.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Muff and Cardiff were shocking performances. How about vs Spurs and Arsenal, both away from home, both more recent than Muff and Cardiff?

I couldn't be more fence on whether I think it's the right decision if I tried.

I do think that is he was going to go before, say, 10 games of next season, today was absolutely the best day.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
completely me too, I don’t think i have ever felt so torn over a ruddy football issue. Poor Chris and even poor Tony having to pull the darn trigger.

Just hope the Club don’t regret this decision.

We will all just have to wait and see.

Bye Chris, thanks for all the good times and for what you helped us achieve, phenomenal, you did it with little old us. I for one will conveniently air brush from my memory all what was bad and look back through heavily rose tinted glasses.

This isn't the decision they might regret, it's the next one....

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Muff and Cardiff were shocking performances. How about vs Spurs and Arsenal, both away from home, both more recent than Muff and Cardiff?

I couldn't be more fence on whether I think it's the right decision if I tried.
It's hard. But we really needed to be up for Cardiff, and we just weren't. It was pathetic. I would have sacked him right after that game, tbh.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am aware I am probably in the minority on this one but I am horrified by this decision.

For me the reason we prioritised defending is because we only had 3 forwards in the squad, two of unproven and an ageing Murray getting slower every week. Letting Hemed was stupid and things became difficult, Chris looked at what he had available and played to our strengths just to keep us up.

We saw in the Championship that when we had attacking power, we were positive pretty much every week, destroying other teams at times.

I am shocked by this as I thought the clubs board should and would share this season's failing. I though they would have the manager's back.

Disappointed with this if I'm honest.

Agree about CH’s Championship football, I loved it.

But I wonder if CH was the person in the transfer quartet who pushed most for Locadia, Montoya and Jahanbakhsh, all of whom have failed (so far) in their roles? Bad judgement on recent transfers, allied to the never ending losses and bad performances, wouldn’t impress TB.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am of the view that he should have been given 10 games next season, with new players etc to try and turn it around. I think he deserved that for the 3 years previously of tremendous success.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Agree about CH’s Championship football, I loved it.

But I wonder if CH was the person in the transfer quartet who pushed most for Locadia, Montoya and Jahanbakhsh, all of whom have failed (so far) in their roles? Bad judgement on recent transfers, allied to the never ending losses and bad performances, wouldn’t impress TB.

I can tell you factually he had very little say. Our genius owner used his method that he applies to his betting business like money ball. Chris Hughton should have not been sacked!!!! We will certainly get relegated!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I agree. To see him walking around the pitch yesterday with his grand kids and families, celebrating staying up for a 2nd season, and then to chop him off at the knees today, is really astounding. I hate to think how this reflects on us as a club. Personally I'm finding Blooms tactics here quite disgraceful and not what we stood for and were admired for.

That's what grates the most for me.

I can see the ruthless pragmatism behind it, arguably you don't become as rich as Bloom unless you are ruthlessly pragmatic, and that it may be for the best in the long run, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I just hope this didn't come as much of a surprise to Hughton as it did to us.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I voted No only because today is too soon after the season's end. I would have at least given Hughton a couple of more days to enjoy his success in staying in the PL. Saying that we have been playing absolute rubbish since the turn of the year, so the term success is used sparingly.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I wish it hadn't been "sack", but maybe a change was due.

There was that lovely year - 2016 - when I think over the calendar year the Albion were the best performing team and Palace were the worst. In the 2015/16 season Pardew had a terrible record from the end of Winter onwards, but the club stuck with him until December of the next season and nearly got relegated as a result (see: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38408138

We didn't want that to happen to us in 2019 (and now we'll never know). Let's hope the decisive action will prove positive.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
No I don't think the club was right. We have a relegation team that Hughton continually managed to keep up.

I'd be amazed if the new guy can do any better without serious backing.

Its a disgusting way to treat a manager who has done so much for the club,applicants should be wary of the treatment to be expected when things are not going too well.
It has to be noted that the Albion who are never going to be more than a mid table side due to the fact that the top teams have massive cash available which enables them to sign the real stars and can afford to pay huge salaries,the lower sides need to run their socks off game after game so its no wonder we have had a poor end to the season because our players had nothing left in the tanks and a number were carrying injuries but Chris had to keep playing them.
Our defensive play particularly Dunk and Duffy has not gone un-noticed and i expect both can earn much more else where, good luck to them

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its a disgusting way to treat a manager who has done so much for the club,applicants should be wary of the treatment to be expected when things are not going too well.
It has to be noted that the Albion who are never going to be more than a mid table side due to the fact that the top teams have massive cash available which enables them to sign the real stars and can afford to pay huge salaries,the lower sides need to run their socks off game after game so its no wonder we have had a poor end to the season because our players had nothing left in the tanks and a number were carrying injuries but Chris had to keep playing them.
Our defensive play particularly Dunk and Duffy has not gone un-noticed and i expect both can earn much more else where, good luck to them
Why are you still posting here palace?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
When he was playing defensive football and were were drawing and sometimes winning at home no-one would have complained. But playing defensive football without attacking at home and with it losing 5-0 and losing successively to other teams from the end of the league we're in - it's not really sustainable.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Is the decision unfair on Hughton? Yes. he has achieved everything asked of him, against the odds.

Is the decision risky? Yes. The odds on us going down will shorten. Our tried and tested recipe for 'success' in this decision, may be disrupted.

Does the decision make sense? Yes. Because we have achieved our missions of being PL ready and then staying up. The club will now be defining its latest vision of success and, with Dan Ashworth's input, may have come to the view that CH is not the right fit for the next phase of its development.

Is the decision right? Who knows. Only time will tell. Tonight I'm feeling incredibly sad for Chris, but equally feel confident that TB has this club's interests at heart and is well placed to make the right decision for the right reasons.
This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Should have given the fans a chance to give him a proper send off yesterday... didn’t he deserve that?

Maybe.

But in reality how many managers get a send off. Very few leave on their own terms and Chris wouldn't have wanted to go.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Obviously, If we stay up next season (even by one point) and play more entertaining, attacking football then this decision will be seen as correct whereas if we crash and burn then it will be deemed a mistake. Personally, I think it is the right decision. Performances deteriorated rapidly and once we were in the downward spiral there was little evidence we could turn it around. We had a lucky escape this season and there was only ever one way to see if our squad would be more suited to a different style of play, different tactics, more receptive to a different type of management. Roll the dice and see what comes up. Great respect and appreciation to CH for all he has done but he knows that the management game is ruthless (also very well paid). He won't be out of work for long the phone is probably already ringing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I voted "yes", however...

I've said, previously, that the only time I could see Bloom acting was if we were adrift in the bottom three heading towards Christmas. When I received the embargo-ed email notification a few minutes before 9:30, I was stunned - I really couldn't see it happening so quickly.

I'd only just posted that I am glad that the season is over. and the thought of more of the same next season was not appealing.

I love Christ Hughton to bits - he has done so much for the club and is clearly a thoroughly decent bloke - one of the best. I feel dirty saying "yes"...

This in so many ways. I'd posted a long and well pondered end of season post mortem at 7.05 this morning

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?801-To-More-Than-Survive-a-Big-Summer-is-Needed

By 9.30 it was chip paper.

BUT in it I state that I was pro-CH all the way until April, when I did indeed click the "out" radio button, just as I have clicked the "yes" one above. I wavered again because the performances at Wolves and Spurs ultimately put pressure back on Cardiff, even if they only yielded one point, but a dispassionate view of the stats says it was time to part ways. Just as I wanted Ali J moved on for zero goals and assists, so three wins in 23 is never going to cut the mustard. Cardiff finished two points below us but won a game more so you could argue those draws kept us up. I'd argue turning some away defeats in to draws and home draws in to wins would have seen us safe month ago.

The one thing I massively stand by in that article is that the new boss needs to be given the right players. We have the cutting edge of wet tissue paper right now. If we change manager, only to be just as dull AND go down, then all those "yes" votes including mine and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's will look foolish.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can tell you factually he had very little say. Our genius owner used his method that he applies to his betting business like money ball. Chris Hughton should have not been sacked!!!! We will certainly get relegated!

How can you factually out of interest ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here