Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you, Chris Hughton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Football is a very cruel business. After the fuss we all made of Bruno yesterday, I noticed Chris with his grand-daughter in his arms and briefly wondered whether circumstances meant that we should have all been saying goodbye and thank you to him too. I'll miss Bruno because seeing his talent on the pitch made me smile as a football fan and seeing him off the pitch made me proud that he was associated with our club. Despite the recent crumbling in home form, Chris Hughton has more often than not, made me smile as a football fan. He also made me cry, when he achieved something that I never quite thought I would see. Like Bruno, his honesty, decency and class in everything he did off the pitch will be the thing I miss most. Never blamed referees, always gave credit to the opposition where it was due, always took a considered approach to a game overrun with emotion and regretful outbursts. I hope that Tony Bloom doesn't live to regret this decision for professional reasons. I think that he will always regret this decision for personal ones.

Thanks Chris. You were always labelled too nice, when in fact people shouldn't be able to be criticsed for being too nice. The criticism is a tribute to you as a man, but it disguises the fact that, when things die down, and your record is viewed in pure statistics, you will be looked back on as a serious contender for the label of the best manager this club has ever employed.

I wish you happiness and success in everything you do in the future. Thanks for everything. I mean the everything that we have currently got. We owe a big part of it to you.

This post sums it up for me, and in a more eloquent way than I can express.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Thank you Chris for leading this club from relegation to league 1. For the excitement of two promotion campaigns in the Championship. For beating Man United at Home. Twice. And Arsenal. And Palace twice this season. And keeping us in the Prem. And the FA Cup runs.

And for doing all of this with class, with dignity and with a grace that brought credit to you and to this football club. For not compromising your principles as a man amidst all the hype and bullshit, trash talk and general unpleasantness that the filthy lucre of the Premier league engenders.

Leave us with your head high, your reputation enhanced and 'haste ye back on friendship's way'.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hadn't seen the other thread and was unaware of the decision, when first reading this.

Really saddened to see him go.
He was the best manager we have had and an absolute gentleman.
As per other posts, the transition from a failing championship team, to one of the best in a single season, showed the measure of the man.
Wonderful memories.

Big boots to fill for whoever comes next.
Personally, I will want to see results pretty much immediately to justify the action taken.

I am sure Tony has noted this :) No pressure then.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you Chris, you achieved what for us seemed to be the impossible dream, the dream of top flight football. You achieved it by first saving the club from near certain relegation and built us back up with dignity and style. We shall forever be thankful, our survival this season was ugly, BUT we did survive, job done.

All the best for the future Chris I hope your next venture is as successful as your time here.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Your successes go way beyond results & tables.

Absolutely this, a world with more Chris Hughtons in it would be a wonderful place. Far too many superlatives to list here, above all a dignified, principled and humble man whom we could all learn much from. Utterly irreplaceable in that regard, just a wonderful human being.

August West

Jul 30, 2013
Football is a very cruel business. After the fuss we all made of Bruno yesterday, I noticed Chris with his grand-daughter in his arms and briefly wondered whether circumstances meant that we should have all been saying goodbye and thank you to him too. I'll miss Bruno because seeing his talent on the pitch made me smile as a football fan and seeing him off the pitch made me proud that he was associated with our club. Despite the recent crumbling in home form, Chris Hughton has more often than not, made me smile as a football fan. He also made me cry, when he achieved something that I never quite thought I would see. Like Bruno, his honesty, decency and class in everything he did off the pitch will be the thing I miss most. Never blamed referees, always gave credit to the opposition where it was due, always took a considered approach to a game overrun with emotion and regretful outbursts. I hope that Tony Bloom doesn't live to regret this decision for professional reasons. I think that he will always regret this decision for personal ones.

Thanks Chris. You were always labelled too nice, when in fact people shouldn't be able to be criticsed for being too nice. The criticism is a tribute to you as a man, but it disguises the fact that, when things die down, and your record is viewed in pure statistics, you will be looked back on as a serious contender for the label of the best manager this club has ever employed.

I wish you happiness and success in everything you do in the future. Thanks for everything. I mean the everything that we have currently got. We owe a big part of it to you.

I echo every word, couldn't have put it better...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you Chris.

See you in the Prem again soon, I'm very sure of that.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Chris, thank you so much for everything you've achieved here since taking over Hyypia's shambles - your success can, of course be shown by many things, some of which can be easily measured (Championship survival, followed by promotion, followed by Prem survival, with an unforgettable trip to Wembley along the way, and a great overall record at the helm of this club), but it would be trite to simply focus on what can be achieved on the pitch; by all accounts, you are a fantastic bloke, evidenced not least by Bissouma's glowing tribute in the recent newspaper article, paying tribute to your tireless efforts to secure visas for his family, making everyone around him feel valued not just as a player, not just as an employee, but as a person. In an industry where snake-oil salesmen masquerading as managers, or coaches with short fuses talking first and thinking later are still embedded within the beautiful game, you stood out from the crowd. You are a great man, as well as a great manager. All the best for the future Chris:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

I concur with everything said here.

Farewell and thank you Chris.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I feel really despondent atm.
Chris seems to have taken the rap for some poor decisions made else where.

Anyway, thank you Chris Hughton, for all the great Championship football, when, for 2 seasons, we were the best team in it.

Thank you for our two Premier League seasons, I’ll never forget the first win against WBA.

Thank you for the double over the Croydon clown collective.

Thank you for your dignity, honesty, integrity, and decency, in a profession where there isn’t a great deal of these qualities too often.

And, thank you for your leadership of the club after the Shoreham air disaster.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I’m sure everything that needs to be said has been said on this thread.
I’ve really appreciated what Chris Hughton has achieved. I fel he overachieved in the first half of the season. There’s never been a more dignified manager. We were on the ropes when he took over. I’m sorry he hasn’t been given the chance to take the club to the next level.

One things certain- there’ll be a lot of championship clubs eyeing him up.

I don’t feel very proud of my club today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Look, Neville Chamberlain was a good man too but glad “we” made a change then too!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I look at it in December 2014 we needed Chris Hughton and Chris Hughton needed us. The timing was perfect - the right club for him, the right manager for us and the perfect antidote to the scars left behind by Poyet's tenure.

It is now the right time to part company.

Football can be brutal and it is a shame the fans will not be able to show their appreciation of how loved Chris is at this club. I feel sure he'll be capable of getting another Championship side promoted and look forward to welcoming him back to The Amex in the near future.

Chris is a class act and it has been a privilege for our club to have had him at the helm. Good luck Chris!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks Chris, its been a special time for Albion supporters. You will have no problem getting another job....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Disappointed this is on page 2 already. The next few days/weeks will be interesting but only because of Chris's hard work for the last 4 years.

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My favourite Brighton manager.

All good things come to an end, and Chris has stayed at a club longer than most these days.

The club has come a long way since he joined - and Chris played a significant part in that.

Best of luck for the future, Chris.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for giving me my best ever day as an Albion fan, promotion after the Wigan game :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here