Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not sure how anyone can be so shocked as some are on this thread, not to mention some quite vindictive language with regards to the Chairman who is protecting what is a huge financial interest and an emotional one as a fan, but that's NSC for you.

Oh well. Diddums. Delusions of grandeur gone to his head.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
End of an era... really sad news... i am not sure i agree with it :(

Chris will forever be a legend for getting Brighton to the promised land.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Keeping faith with CH would have been a gamble, sacking him is definitely a gamble. But who's the best gambler in town if not TB?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Chris,

Thank you. Just thank you.

The word is over-used but to me he is 100% a club legend. I truly hope he gets a chance to return with another team and given the applause and send off he actually deserves.

Is it the right decision? At the moment that doesn't even matter. What a guy.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
So who's on the shortlist? Big Sam, Paul Jewell, Steve Cotterill. Wagner, Sparky, Colin, Danny Wilson, Wenger, Claude Puel, Alan Curbishley ... round up the usual suspects.

Oh, and please can it be someone with Premier League experience, not someone who has done well in Belgium or Holland?

Graham Potter 1-3

next best is 6-1 Frank Lampard

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Absolutely delighted and the right decision. Thanks Chris for everything but you had to go.

As soon as i heard the news i almost screamed with happiness. This season has been very depressing.

Very happy now

Dec 29, 2011
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

We spent almost £100m on talent over two seasons, that's hardly a 'spud gun'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Poor decision in my view. Like many UK businesses, too many football clubs are run with an excessively short-term emphasis, rather than slowly building and investing for the long-term. I actually thought that BHA was slightly different in that respect, and that Bloom and the board did indeed take a long-term perspective (after all, it looked as if they were sticking with Hyppia, until he fell on his own sword). From that perspective, Hughton's done a pretty good job - got us from near relegation in the championship to two years' survival in the Premier League and with BHA's resources and recent history that's pretty much all that could be expected over that kind of period - who knows what he could have achieved with continued slow investment and improvements on the recruitment front over the next few years?
Looking at immediate social media and press coverage, it seems that this is the prevailing "neutral" view as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gutted. Sort of understand it, but still feel sorry for the man. "Thanks for keeping us in the PL, Chris and for getting us a load more cash. Now do one."

Yes, I know it's not as straightforward as that, but...

Big gamble to take for the Lizard – I'm assuming he won't go fishing in the Dutch league pond again.

Thanks for everything Chris!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'm shocked and saddened at the lack of loyalty shown by TB. Yes, those last games were not great to watch and we were firefighting, but given the summer, i think Chris would have turned it around - he should have been given the chance, they players DID play for him, they never gave up.

The cup run didn't help him sadly but it gave us a day we will never forget.

Chris, you are, and always will be, a true Albion legend.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Gutted. **** all the Hughton outers. **** them all.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Surprised and disappointed. A little bit less proud of our club this morning. If the Potter rumors are true this is a massive gamble.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We spent almost £100m on talent over two seasons, that's hardly a 'spud gun'.

And who is the STAR? Who is the player ANY other team ever has to worry about?

We have bought largely, more of the same in terms of quality.

£100m over 2 years is simply not enough, or have you not been watching. We are a bottom 5 squad and finished at the top end of that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here