Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You know, Tony knows, good business.

So when I heard on the radio Chris Hughton has been fired, I was shocked.

That would be like Simon Cowell setting up a talent show in Antarctica.

That would be bad business.

But Bloom has sacked Hughton so we should definitely trust him.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Under Hughton we have always started our seasons better than we finished.

When he first joined us we still struggled over the line but the start of the following season we were on fire and fell away at the end missing promotion by goal difference. The Burnley game was a turning point.

The next season we improved as a whole and should have taken the Championship title with room to spare, only to be pipped at the post. Still a great season to remember but falling at the last hurdle for the title nevertheless.

First season in the Prem was fairly comfortable until we hit a wall and secured survival later than we could have done.

Second Prem season seemed like a breeze until we hit the wall again in January and then couldn't string any passes together let alone score any goals.

We always seem bright and confident when the season starts, and we always seem well prepared for it, when others maybe not. But at the end of the season our confidence is just a shadow compared to the first half of the season.

I think our biggest problem has been that we are never any good at must win games, and when other teams must beat us they normally did. These are the type of games that only happen at the business end of the season so it looks like we are not very good at handling pressure as a habit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Under Hughton we have always started our seasons better than we finished.

When he first joined us we still struggled over the line but the start of the following season we were on fire and fell away at the end missing promotion by goal difference. The Burnley game was a turning point.

The next season we improved as a whole and should have taken the Championship title with room to spare, only to be pipped at the post. Still a great season to remember but falling at the last hurdle for the title nevertheless.

First season in the Prem was fairly comfortable until we hit a wall and secured survival later than we could have done.

Second Prem season seemed like a breeze until we hit the wall again in January and then couldn't string any passes together let alone score any goals.

We always seem bright and confident when the season starts, and we always seem well prepared for it, when others maybe not. But at the end of the season our confidence is just a shadow compared to the first half of the season.

I think our biggest problem has been that we are never any good at must win games, and when other teams must beat us they normally did. These are the type of games that only happen at the business end of the season so it looks like we are not very good at handling pressure as a habit.

I thought our PL season 2017/18, was decent/good in the beginning and latter stages, and awful in the middle?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought our PL season 2017/18, was decent/good in the beginning and latter stages, and awful in the middle?

Probably but we still hit a wall and made it that little bit more difficult for ourselves. The point really is about starting miles better than we finish and we tend to lose confidence at the business end of the season. As I said it's those must win games like against Cardiff that we struggle with. Unfortunately for managers they also need to be gifted or qualified in psychology too, not just man management. I've never seen a nervous Bournemouth performance as an example.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Probably but we still hit a wall and made it that little bit more difficult for ourselves. The point really is about starting miles better than we finish and we tend to lose confidence at the business end of the season. As I said it's those must win games like against Cardiff that we struggle with. Unfortunately for managers they also need to be gifted or qualified in psychology too, not just man management. I've never seen a nervous Bournemouth performance as an example.

In the first season up, we won almost all the "must win" home games. I recall grinding out wins against Newcastle, Swansea, West Ham, Arsenal and, ultimately, United to secure safety.
Second season, we were **** from January until Wolves. But there were mitigating circumstances for that (specifically, lack of leaders on the pitch when the chips were down and we missed Gross BADLY)
I'm still stunned that Hughton is gone.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In the first season up, we won almost all the "must win" home games. I recall grinding out wins against Newcastle, Swansea, West Ham, Arsenal and, ultimately, United to secure safety.
Second season, we were **** from January until Wolves. But there were mitigating circumstances for that (specifically, lack of leaders on the pitch when the chips were down and we missed Gross BADLY)

Yep there are plenty of mitigating circumstances and I am stunned too, but there were parts of our play that was really poor like not passing when we should, passing when we shouldn't, passing behind a player, and passing to the opposition. Not working as a unit in the final third is a coaching issue and very frustrating to watch the same things happening again and again as a fan. I can't begin to imagine what it was like for Bloom to see.

I have always felt that the players needed a one on one session with Warren Aspinal for some constructive criticism because it was very Deja Vu on the pitch. Maybe Hughon's coaching staff was the weak link and he was too nice to them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t patronise you fool, just answer the question.

If you honestly believe Mr Hughton will all but instantly 'speak out' about his dismissal I don't think I'm the fool.

I'm sure in time he will pass comment.
I'm equally sure it won't be just to stick the knife in.
It'll either come at his 'welcome to' press conference, or a BAME event, either way the Albion will only be a polite respectful and disappointed footnote to what he actually wants to talk about.

I guess writing that now means Chrissy gonna go full cray-cray banzi tomorrow. :lol:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
If you honestly believe Mr Hughton will all but instantly 'speak out' about his dismissal I don't think I'm the fool.

It'll either come at his 'welcome to' press conference, or a BAME event, either way the Albion will only be a polite respectful and disappointed footnote to what he actually wants to talk about.

I guess writing that now means Chrissy gonna go full cray-cray banzi tomorrow. :lol:

It not instantly it’s nearly a week.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster

This and izquiredo. Obviously gonna hope Potter is great and give him chance. But Chris was still the man for me. Yes we were shite most of 2019, but after the shite really hit the fan (after Cardiff loss) we started to play again, starting with the basics in defence against wolves and spurs then trying to expand from that newcatle, arsenal. (admittedly 1st half against Newcastle was shameful) but the game showed what we can do and I expected more of that from Chris's team next season.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013

Have you been keeping up with the ‘Chris loses the plot again’ thread this season?

He’s an absolute maniac. Total loose cannon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here