Page 56 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Badger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4.5 years in the job and the first 3.5 were great, we couldn’t have asked for any more. He excelled himself and will always have my respect for that.

However, the facts do not lie and this season (the whole season, not just the second half like some would have you believe) has been abysmal. We fluked three wins in a row in October that gave us a false sense of safety, but the reality is we’ve been truly hopeless for a long time. We can’t score, we can’t attack, we’ve got no pace, we move the ball slowly, we are cautious and timid, we show too much respect to opponents, we have won four away games out of the last 40, we only make subs at 70 minutes. Most worryingly of all, he’s done nothing to combat the critical issues even a layman like me can see occurring throughout the season. He appears to me to be a manager with his head in the sand. It’s absolutely woeful stuff and completely untenable at this level. I could go on but most of all, I’m just bored of my team being so spineless, defensive and dull.

Finally, the inevitable came in recent months as our home form fell apart. Hughton had been boring his way to enough points at the Amex to keep the more blinkered fans on side but finally the players couldn’t cope with such a mentally and physically draining style any longer. You just can’t lose 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, a team that had just lost nine consecutive away games. You can’t lose to Southampton, Burnley and Cardiff with barely a shot on goal.

Hughton has actually been a dead man walking for a long time. I called it in 2018 after the Leicester game. Losing a 60 minute match at home to ten men because we sat on the edge of our own box and failed to lay a glove on them was embarrassing at Premier League level. I don’t think any other manager in this division would have done what he did that day. There have been countless other opportunities missed this season, going all the way back to Fulham and Southampton in the first month, as a direct result of the manager’s approach. So regrettably, he had to go and he should have gone months ago.
    Exactly right, except the last bit. It was correct to give him the season, he’d earned that right.
    "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      What? Hyppia lasted 6 months. In what way was that 'prepared to stick'?
      I thought that Tony accepted his resignation, but was prepared to stick with him?
      That is probably an NSC fact though.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      4.5 years in the job and the first 3.5 were great, we couldn’t have asked for any more. He excelled himself and will always have my respect for that.

However, the facts do not lie and this season (the whole season, not just the second half like some would have you believe) has been abysmal. We fluked three wins in a row in October that gave us a false sense of safety, but the reality is we’ve been truly hopeless for a long time. We can’t score, we can’t attack, we’ve got no pace, we move the ball slowly, we are cautious and timid, we show too much respect to opponents, we have won four away games out of the last 40, we only make subs at 70 minutes. Most worryingly of all, he’s done nothing to combat the critical issues even a layman like me can see occurring throughout the season. He appears to me to be a manager with his head in the sand. It’s absolutely woeful stuff and completely untenable at this level. I could go on but most of all, I’m just bored of my team being so spineless, defensive and dull.

Finally, the inevitable came in recent months as our home form fell apart. Hughton had been boring his way to enough points at the Amex to keep the more blinkered fans on side but finally the players couldn’t cope with such a mentally and physically draining style any longer. You just can’t lose 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, a team that had just lost nine consecutive away games. You can’t lose to Southampton, Burnley and Cardiff with barely a shot on goal.

Hughton has actually been a dead man walking for a long time. I called it in 2018 after the Leicester game. Losing a 60 minute match at home to ten men because we sat on the edge of our own box and failed to lay a glove on them was embarrassing at Premier League level. I don’t think any other manager in this division would have done what he did that day. There have been countless other opportunities missed this season, going all the way back to Fulham and Southampton in the first month, as a direct result of the manager’s approach. So regrettably, he had to go and he should have gone months ago.
      Once again, The Complete Badger nails it. Spot on analysis as usual.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Paul Hayward's column in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...rightons-next/

Those Brighton fans meanwhile who blamed the manager for “wasting money” ignored the fact that the club’s recruitment department, not Hughton, determined transfer policy. There is a strong case for saying Hughton has paid the price for mistakes made elsewhere in the club.
      A very good article that and sums the situation up well I reckon.

"Brighton’s next moves had better be good to justify this sacking". Indeed.
      Sanibona!!
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      I thought that Tony accepted his resignation, but was prepared to stick with him?
      That is probably an NSC fact though.
      Any comparisons between CH and Hyppia, whether to praise or condem the chairman, are absurd. Almost as absurd as the absolute clowns spouting off in the media that sacking CH was motivated by TB's racism.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      Glenn Murray's a wizzard, he wears a wizzard's hat, And when he get's his cock out, he says 'I'll score with that'
      He scores them with his left ball, he scores them with his right. And then he scores one with his arse, he's ****ing dynamite

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf666 View Post
      Gordon is a moron, Gordon is a moron... love it!

Let's just hope it's not Tony is a moron, eh!
      Word.
      ● A 21-year-old man from Shoreham was arrested at the Amex stadium on suspicion of throwing a pie at Wilfried Zaha ●

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagull73 View Post
      Seriously? Were you at the games?

Man United and Palace at home are the only times this season that we have genuinely played well - possibly Arsenal when we were already safe. Otherwise, most of this season has been a turgid, painful, horrible, funless grind.
      Yes I was.

PS: If you can't even stretch to Palace or even Arsenal away as good performances then fair enough. Tough crowd to say the least.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      His payoff will be dependent on him not saying anything like that.
      Yes.

My minor point, though, was he won't say that because it isn't true, and I really don't think CH is a liar. My major point was that the players are decent and that CH was simply unable to get the best out of them.

Something related.....I am a bit concerned by stories about players on the lash after the Arsenal game. I am concerned that the gung ho performances of our central two come at a cost, and the off field unprofessionalism that has been suggested to be going with it can't be acceptable. It will be interesting to see how many '£50 mill for the pair' bids are made for our central defenders during the summer. My expectation is none.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      Glenn Murray's a wizzard, he wears a wizzard's hat, And when he get's his cock out, he says 'I'll score with that'
      He scores them with his left ball, he scores them with his right. And then he scores one with his arse, he's ****ing dynamite

0 Not allowed!

The lazy pundits will spout the soundbites based purely on where we were four years ago, but those of us who’ve watched every kick of this season know the current reality.
      Those that believe he should be sacked now include Tony Bloom and presumably Paul Barber, so illustrious company, and at the end of the day its his train set.
      But there's plenty of fans who racked up the loyalty points home and away this season who disagree so unfair/wrong to presume that its only the fair weather pundits/fans who think stability / investment / one more year was the wiser gamble.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Paul Hayward's column in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...rightons-next/

Those Brighton fans meanwhile who blamed the manager for “wasting money” ignored the fact that the club’s recruitment department, not Hughton, determined transfer policy. There is a strong case for saying Hughton has paid the price for mistakes made elsewhere in the club.
      Now that's what I call a good bit of journalism.