Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I am not all that shocked. Rather like hearing that a sick elderly relative has passed - grief and relief. CH is a gent and we all love him for that, but this season has told TB exactly what he needed to know in regards to building a 'dynasty'. Omelettes and eggs. Players and manager come and go.

I hope he comes to the Amex next season so we can show our appreciation properly.

Thanks for all you've done Chris and good luck for the future. :albion2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He may well be holding something up his sleeve ! let`s hope so !!
My guess is that he's had discussions with his advisors, and they've come to the conclusion that we're in a good position to attract a manager that will take us forward, and that's it. There will be plenty of applications to take the job as manager of a Premier League team, and they'll go from there. I don't think he'll have anything up his sleeve, he's not a card cheat :)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think ultimately we need to take the emotion out of this one.

CH is a class act, and obviously a well respected top guy. No one wants to see someone like that sacked and in many ways people don’t want to see people like that leave their football club.

However, Bloom has made the decision that 3 wins in 23 and only 2 wins in 2019 is not good enough.

People can argue with that... they can blame the recruitment team or other people in the club for the shortcomings this season but at the end of the day we have not only gone backwards this season but become a boring side to watch who if it continues as it is will struggle going forward.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Loyalty?

How much has Bloom spent on this club?

Some of the posts here are absurd.

Exactly. He who pays the piper calls the tune. And you only have to look at the last few games to realise that we'd run out of ideas and, dare I say it, hope. Somehow we stayed up: but that surely was more luck than judgement. Tony Bloom is a die hard fan as well as being an extra ordinarily wealthy man, but there comes a point when changes have to be made and I thought we'd reached that after we lost to Fulham and drew with West Ham. The talent is surely there: what's needed is a charismatic manager who knows how to win. Nathan Jones anyone?

muswellgull

Mar 2, 2007
Muswell Hill, London
CH obviously deserves to be remembered as a gentleman and as probably our greatest ever manager!
The key problem has clearly been recent recruitment. Jahanbakhsh and Locadia, our 2 most expensive signings have been totally underwhelming, as has Andone. The question, I suppose, is, how much input did Chris have in those signing decisions

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was behind him while he was manager and never felt the need for sharpening the knives.

That said, I suspect it was the right decision. Not just because we have been dire for 4 months now, but also because of the rumours of ill discipline that have gone with it. I think social media pics of Duffy out gambling at 6am 2 days before the final game of the season (after which he could do what he liked) and a couple of others disciplined for drinking sessions before the end of the season both showed a lack of respect for the club who pays their wages and the manager. If the players hadn't lost their respect for CH, they certainly weren't scared of him.

So it is with great sadness that he goes and I'm quite upset by it. But Tony Bloom is one of us, and he's super successful. I have faith in him getting the right man.

Excellent post, pretty much how I feel about it. I bought a ticket in the Brentford end for his first game in the FA Cup, and from that moment (and smash and grab win) until January Chris Hughton has done an amazing job for this club. It hasn't been good for months, through some combination of his approach, injuries and loss of form to key players, and a slight lowering of the intensity levels from last season, as well as some discipline issues. You can't greet this news with anything other than sadness even if you wanted him to go. I already said on here what I wanted, to hear him outline a clear strategy for improvement next season to avoid any repeat of the long slump and then give him one more window, he had probably earned that. Maybe TB thought the same, had the chat and wasn't totally convinced by what he heard.

Sacked for guiding us from relegation strugglers in the Championship to the Premier League and keeping us there for two seasons without once being in the bottom three. As at Newcastle and Norwich, a great manager and decent man treated abysmally by a club he has served well. I am disgusted.

You should write a poem about it.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I must admit. Our matches this year seemed out of synch with other PL games. Even the matches featuring the relegated teams were full of cut and thrust, end to end stuff. Not us I’m afraid. Camped in our own half most of the time, looking around bored some of my time. Maybe we need some new modern ideas.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Right call. Feel a bit sad about it though. Always a gamble sacking a successful manager, but it would have been a gamble to keep him as well. He'll get a top Championship job.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

So you did sell your tickets to Lucy then?

Not that I saw, no. There was, with hindsight, evidence that TB kept his distance from CH, but I saw nothing from Chris that showed he knew.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
what a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a spud gun and he's lined up against people with ak47s (stolen analogy from guinness boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival twice, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now ex manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, i need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as i'm done with this shite for a bit.

top post

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This could be the end of #Together and the final move to the corporate and detached nonsense that is modern football.

Thank you Chris for being such a great manager, man and role model. You will be badly missed, but remembered with great love. I hope you find another home that’s as good a fit as we were for you.

I will now feel very empty at least until we find out what comes next.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Feel a bit like you two. Too ruthless. #Together seems a bit of a distant memory. He's been let down by a fair few players in my opinion, and that ultimately has cost him his job. Feels more like a bereavement than a progressive step forward. Looking back at some of the footage from yesterday, I think he already knew.

I did think we were different as a club. Maybe not.

We are not. We have a different history than many that is rightly a great source of pride but we are run by a businessman (albeit one who thankfully has emotional attachment to the club). He has to protect his investment, and I am sure he wants to see a significant return on the investment over time.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The correct decision. We've been woeful and can and should expect to stay up more easily (and play better football) with our resources.

But I'm not going to slate CH today. He's a hero, and always will be.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Large.jpg

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Be careful what you wish for!
6 months ago he was being put forward as successor to Poch at Spurs if the latter went to Utd to replace Jose We were all terrified of this.How quickly things change
I have to admit I am gutted and think it is a terrible decision
83...sacked our manger as we were playing boring football ,got to Wembley ... replacement was a joke.
Hope history doesn't repeat itself with relegation next season
My only consolation is that I think I trust Bloom's judgement and Barber and co appear to be organised enough to have got someone else in mind already

I have nothing against CH and think he did a fantastic job getting us up but over the past 2 seasons the football has gone backwards and this was unfortunately the right decision at the righ time. The alternative was to be in the bottom three next season and CH getting the sack in October / November.

To say CH was in for the Spurs job and everyone is terrified is complete folly (this is the first I have heard of it). Unfortunately I can't see CH ever attracting a big club due to his pragmatic play. Poch may still go in the summer and therefore Spurs can now have CH for free.....................every silver cloud and all that!

TB is a very astute man and he would have done this with a very good reasons and this proves that TB is one of the best chairman in the league!

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Feel a bit like you two. Too ruthless. #Together seems a bit of a distant memory. He's been let down by a fair few players in my opinion, and that ultimately has cost him his job. Feels more like a bereavement than a progressive step forward. Looking back at some of the footage from yesterday, I think he already knew.

I did think we were different as a club. Maybe not.

Pretty much this. Wasn't expecting it to happen once CH was kept on to see us safe. There are a load of potential replacements that I would hate to see managing our club. This is going to be one hell of a big decision.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

No it wasn’t really Bozza
But TB’s programme notes thanked everyone but CH.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I think an announcement before yesterdays game that CH was to leave by mutual consent would have been far more gracious . . . . although maybe he has been sacked because he wouldn't go ? Perhaps he feels he's been harshly sacked and judged . . . . we don't know enough either way. Given this seasons form It's no huge shock, and most agree we look favourites for relegation next season based on this season . . . . . no football for a few months but there will be a hell of a lot going on behind the scenes . . . . we may even find out if some of last seasons signings are any good come September!

I believe some of these signings may not be so bad after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here