Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
53 thumbs up and counting. 'Nuff said.

I couldn't give a shit if he had a 100 thumbs up. It's a forum with different opinions. Like i said before, i hated this season. I hated going to the Amex. I hated watching our horrific football on tv. Yes i'm delighted he is gone and people like Exile can do one. At the same time i'm very grateful for Hughton for taking us where we are today but a new chapter is needed.

Yes i'm happy.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

Nonsense. You don't know how he has been treated at all, you weren't in the meeting and have no knowledge of how this has come about. Maybe he's OK with it.

Nobody really knows whether this is the right call or not yet. I guess we'll find out next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

There's a video on the Bruno thread of the interview on the lap of appreciation. There was no indication which is why many of us are shocked.

I'm in the be careful what you wish for camp.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are not. We have a different history than many that is rightly a great source of pride but we are run by a businessman (albeit one who thankfully has emotional attachment to the club). He has to protect his investment, and I am sure he wants to see a significant return on the investment over time.

Yeah I know, but as fans we can be detached from all that, and really we have to be, otherwise if we all buy into it as 'just a business', then we may as well start calling ourselves customers and not get upset when those running the game call us the same. I'm sure Bloom has his reasons, I just can't help how I feel about it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm shocked and saddened at the lack of loyalty shown by TB. Yes, those last games were not great to watch and we were firefighting, but given the summer, i think Chris would have turned it around - he should have been given the chance, they players DID play for him, they never gave up.

The cup run didn't help him sadly but it gave us a day we will never forget.

Chris, you are, and always will be, a true Albion legend.
He certainly is a legend and I'm sad about the news, and if you read my posts on here (although I advise against it) you'd know I've always supported Chris, and never wanted him out - however, I don't think it's fair to say TB has shown a lack of loyalty. This isn't a pet dog we're talking about here, it's the most important job at a multi-million pound Premier League football club, and if Tony thinks we'll get a better manager (time will tell) then it's the decision he needed to take. It's not disloyal, and Tony will be as grateful to Chris for what he's done as the rest of us.

Dec 29, 2011
And who is the STAR? Who is the player ANY other team ever has to worry about?

We have bought largely, more of the same in terms of quality.

£100m over 2 years is simply not enough, or have you not been watching. We are a bottom 5 squad and finished at the top end of that.

Name a STAR player in any of the other bottom 15 teams then. Did you want us to spend £200m before we say Hughton came up short with the resources he was provided? Bloom gave him backing and he produced some of the most dire, boring football the club has seen in a long while

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Presumably any players that didn't make the grade will also be on their way. Not to mention those that have disrespected the club....major rebuild on the cards?

Not sure we can afford to pay out £40M+ in compensation

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Kept well out of the way. I thought it strange at the time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yeah I know, but as fans we can be detached from all that, and really we have to be, otherwise if we all buy into it as 'just a business', then we may as well start calling ourselves customers and not get upset when those running the game call us the same. I'm sure Bloom has his reasons, I just can't help how I feel about it.

Understand, great point

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
A fair few people around me in the ESU called it, if we go down he is the best person to bring us back up again but if we managed to stay up he should go. I've flipped between In/Out more times than a burger this season but it is done now so no point dwelling on it. So long and thanks for all the fish, the man is a legend in our eyes and I'm going to miss the losing it thread immensely.

I can only hope his replacement is more Hughton than Hyypiä and also someone whose name we can all get right without adding extra vowels.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Feel desperately sad for CH. He is clearly a gent and has always acted with integrity and decency. If he had any idea about what was coming before the game yesterday then his words and behaviour yesterday would only underscore this.

I can't believe there will be anyone who is not eternally grateful to him for getting us to the PL.

I don't think TB took this decision lightly or without any disrespect to CH and his achievements however he was employed to get us up and since then we have seen what every other club he has managed has seen - a defensive tactician who plays the percentages. Given where we were earlier in the season with Southampton, Palace and Newcastle all below us and a comfortable buffer to the relegation zone, yet we barely scrapped survival (and missed almost £2m if we'd been even one more place higher) you have to ask what next season would be like? The answer - more of the same.

You also have to question what the relationship was like between players and manger during those final weeks. I was hoping the rumours were exaggerated but those in the club will know better and if there is any chance that the relationship was close to terminal then it will play a massive part in the decision making process.

It's by no means certain we shall get a better manager but there is every chance that next season would see another relegation battle so what is there to lose?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Have to say very surprised by this and the manner of the announcement. Thank you Chris for all the good work in service of the club.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I felt it was the right time, as many will know. But I'm surprised we didn't announce it as a mutual parting before yesterday's game so we could all give him a send off at the ground.

Into the unknown though. Rightly or wrongly, I'm more excited for the coming season than I was yesterday. This next appointment is massive.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

Sky have just reshown the interview with CH carrying his grand-daughter on the lap of whatever post match. Geoff Shreeves asked CH about his thoughts/needs for next season, and CH answers in great detail and thought. Finishing with Shreeves saying “Thanks Chris, see you next season” and CH saying “Indeed, look forward to it”.

OUCH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here