Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t want to speak badly of CH he will always be a legend at this club for what he has achieved.

I can’t help thinking the fact when the chips were down in that series of home games his inability to galvanize the team and get the results to get us over the line are what cost him.

Dyche, Warnock etc seem to be able to squeeze every single inch out of the players they work with. However since Xmas for whatever reason we looked to be doing the exact opposite with a team that looked nervous, scared and often like 11 individuals rather than a team.

We did get the results to get over the line. The draws with Newcastle and Arsenal saved us.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Burnley had an awful first half of the season.
Cardiff got relegated.

Burnley had an awful first half of the season - but stayed up with ease
Cardiff got relegated - by only 2 points from us and approx £70m less in player investment and beat us twice.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Burnley had an awful first half of the season - but stayed up with ease
Cardiff got relegated - by only 2 points from us and approx £70m less in player investment and beat us twice.

Which shows how shite some of our recruitment was. Also, that Warnock is a wizard.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With a bottom 3 budget, CH kept us up, proving the 4-fingered lot from Norfolk wrong TWICE.

Respect to CH from Albion fans. Thank you.

Now it’s time to move on.

It will be interesting to see how the new manager assesses the following, all condemned as crap by their noisy haters:
March
Murray
Stephens

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My point was that I feel the club has lost its identify with its supporters and there are so many layers of management between the support and the team - of course we have never actually OWNED it and we all have a choice. Isn’t that obvious?

I think that comes with what is deemed as "progress" these days. Fans are much more involved when a club needs them, as ours were in wilderness years, but the bigger and better run a club is, the more disconnected fans feel because their voice is less relevant. The clubs needs us now as bums on seats, supporting the club and buying merchandise - don't go and another fan will take your seat.

It's a sad reality (although also just my opinion). I think I'd prefer us to be less involved but the club does well, than massively involved because the club is going to the wall.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I find this a very interesting comment in the latest Arsegas piece from Naylor confirming our interest in Potter:

"Bloom alone took the decision to dispense with Hughton late last night". Looking like Barber and everybody else were in the dark as to what the Chairman was planning before last night (I suspect he told them first before telling Hughton!!)???

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He's desperately trying to validate his view by putting any outlandish bollocks out there.

Palace would have come third if the season was 96 games long.

No fair point.

I think my point was when we got dragged into the fight we didn’t seem to be able to respond and we were fortunate maybe that we didn’t start the poor run before we did.

You can’t argue we simply didn’t look up for it whatsoever in those important games where as the other teams did

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I find this a very interesting comment in the latest Arsegas piece from Naylor confirming our interest in Potter:

"Bloom alone took the decision to dispense with Hughton late last night". Looking like Barber and everybody else were in the dark as to what the Chairman was planning before last night (I suspect he told them first before telling Hughton!!)???

Already heard, indirectly, from one player who had no clue it was coming.
Mental.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Which shows how shite some of our recruitment was. Also, that Warnock is a wizard.

A wizard who has never finished a season by keeping a team in the top division.
I'm pretty sure that CH would have had a fairly large say in who came and went on the player front.
Clear you don't agree with TB's decision this morning, but I daresay it is you who is venturing a rather false opinion to justify a position.
Alas, now is not the time to fight. TB was clearly uninfluenced by anything any of us had to say - we just need to accept his decision and move on. For those that can't, there are 4,500 (approx) others in the Season Ticket waiting-list who will almost certainly will.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Mental.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If for no other reason, considering the social-media use of many lacking-in-common-sense footballers, they should nearly always be the last to know.
My surprise was that Naylor appeared to be suggesting that nobody else in the senior management team was aware of Bloom's thinking. That would be a shock.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A wizard who has never finished a season by keeping a team in the top division.
I'm pretty sure that CH would have had a fairly large say in who came and went on the player front.
Clear you don't agree with TB's decision this morning, but I daresay it is you who is venturing a rather false opinion to justify a position.
Alas, now is not the time to fight. TB was clearly uninfluenced by anything any of us had to say - we just need to accept his decision and move on. For those that can't, there are 4,500 (approx) others in the Season Ticket waiting-list who will almost certainly will.

I don't accept that premise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mental.

i'm sure the players didn't know. I'm sure that Ashworth and Barber did.

Knowing it was coming? Would just have been PB and TB I would think. Ashworth's growing influence might have precipitated the decision but there's no way I would have thought that he would know much before the embargoed press release went out.

Suspecting it was coming? The players must have realised at some point in that awful run that they were deeply in the shit and that put the manager's job at risk. If there were tensions between two ways of doing things emerging these would have been apparent (I don't know if there were but any tension eitther between the players and CH as was reported in a paper or TB / Ashworth / CH as purely an alternative example would surely have been scuttlebutt round the training ground). I heard from a reasonably decent source that Paul Trollope was worried.

But this is all speculation really. The only person who knows exactly what went on and why is Tony Bloom so Naylor's phrasing is hardly surprising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here