Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand why Bloom felt he had to part company with Hughton and his backroom team. We dodged a bullet this season with 3 very poor sides below us in Cardiff, Fulham and Hudds and 36 points would get you relegated most seasons. Away from has been abysmal for 2 seasons, the goals were drying up - particularly from open play.

That said, is Graham Potter the right man to take us forward? It's a huge gamble. His style is based on possession and speed but in the Prem it is hard to retain the ball and play with pace. His away form with Swansea was mediocre and they had one of the worst defences for conceding from set pieces, but they did finish with 18 point from their final 9 matches and gave City on of their biggest tests of the season in the Cup Q/F.

This will be a significant adjustment in style of play and it's difficult to see how the likes of Gross, Murray, Ali J, Stephens will fit in. If it is Potter I fully expect loads of comings and goings, in which case we need every single day of the off-season that we have to assemble the new squad.

Not strictly true, 36 points was safety in 6 of the last 10 seasons.

Agree with you on the type of football we're expecting to play. Some people seem to believe you just flick a switch, not going to be that easy at all.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Wow I did not see that coming. I'm happy, but sad at the same time. Sad as Chris has done so much for us and is a gentleman, happy as it was the right descion by Tony. We were going no where him in charge. Good luck for the future Chris. UTA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone taking delight in this announcement (whether they agree with the decision or not) should be banned immediately.

Absolutely, gutted CH had to go, but i believe he did have to go.

There's no way the club will be able to find another manager so honourable and respectful.

His next club will be very lucky and can look forward to certain promotion.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
This news really came out the blue, bit of sour way to end the season after Bruno's great send off yesterday. Shame it couldn't have been announced prior to the game as mutual parting so we could have given Chris a good send off. Regardless of how this season ended he has done unimaginably great things for this club. Just wish we could have shown him our appreciation.

Maybe being the quiet man he is, he didn't want a big hoorah?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I get what you are saying, but it could never have been announced before yesterdays match, that would have been shoddy

Announcing it after the game would, possibly, have been a decent compromise though. Would have detracted a little from Bruno's exit but [had it been Mutual Consent] it could have been announced at the end of the L of A to give us a chance to express our appreciation...

...because I think that virtually everyone will agree that up to the end of 2018, he has achieved amazing things for this club, it's only since Jan19 that opinions started to differ.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
I suspect the lack of youth players progressing has also been noted, certainly by Ashworth. We came 3rd in the U23 league and none have made the first team in the Premier League

Dan Ashworth was probably brought into the club due to his knowledge on up and coming English prospects. In the January transfer window it was reported we tried to sign Solanke from Liverpool. Solanke chose to join Bournemouth citing he didn't like our style of play.

What would be the point in bringing Dan Ashworth to the club if it wasn't to progress our youth policy and attract future star youngsters?

Fair play to Chris. A true gentleman but he has taken us as far as he can.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Arteta Manager
Bruno Assistant
Mata marque signing

Ole

This with access to the Man City academy ? to show their appreciation of our dross 2nd half display.
However I don't think Bruno has coaching badges to go with his impending UK citizenship

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Surprised! Shocked even......
As I heared someone say yesterday, if we had had a rotten first half of the season and rallied to escape the drop - we would be calling him a hero.

He is, I believe , one of the best we have had . Is he blamed for the disappointing form of some new players? I am sure recruiting is not solely on him.

Anyway, who the hell else are we going to get who can do better?

Absolutely.....there is no one in the whole world of football who could possibly do better than Chris Hughton. The man is totally irreplaceable. There are no other choices out there. No one else has ever got a club promoted to the PL and kept them there. Its impossible to imagine the prospect of anyone else ever doing this. Its utter madness. Madness. Bloom out!!!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Sad in some ways to see him go. Great guy, represented the club unbelievably well. But the constant 'club at our level' crap, before and after games drove me crazy and I believe was reflected in the mindset of the players. At the end of the day the football this season has been turgid and the club just cant take the risk of us starting next season as we finished this, without attempting to make changes. Sadly, it's the right decision.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not strictly true, 36 points was safety in 6 of the last 10 seasons.

Agree with you on the type of football we're expecting to play. Some people seem to believe you just flick a switch, not going to be that easy at all.

Teams with 36 points would have been relegated from the Prem in 12 of the last 23 seasons, but if Arsenal and Man Utd continue to faff about and one of Leeds / Villa do a Wolves then that low points threshold we've seen in very recent years could start to rise. I wouldn't be surprised to see 36 points get you relegated from the Prem next season.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Playing expansive football is all well and good and it gets the pundits 'drawling' but look at what happened to Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff and other newly promoted clubs who 'have a go'. Wolves being the exception (can we get NES :) ?) we need to find a medium and tread water carefully as choosing the next manager is beyond a big moment in the history of this club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We all desperately wanted Chris to be the man to take the club to the next level but sadly I don’t think he has it in him. There is a reason he is not chased by the bigger clubs which is why we are now parting ways.

I think the timing will be viewed by some as poor but I think this is perfect for all concerned, Chris will not have a relegation from the PL on his CV and will pick up a championship job quickly and we have time to bed in a new manager and ideas ahead of the new season.

I will never forget how he turned the club around and reached and established us in the league and he is a gentlemen and class act. For that I wish him nothing but the best for the future but equally I can see why the club have taken this move.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This is a dark day for our club. What he has acheived has been monumental. At the first run of real challenge, we sacked him. It makes us no better than the swinging door mentality of other clubs. THis is not what we stand for and not how we operate. I'm beyond angry and also very very sad.

You'll be giving up your ST then and writing to TB to express your dissatisfaction at the running of the club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m hoping bloom has set aside a lot of money for the next manager because if the expectation is to do significantly better with the existing squad then he is dreaming. Hughton did very well to keep us up.
Personally I reckon Tony is about to go all in, and we are just about to make a big big push With some proper players coming to the Amex

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sacked for guiding us from relegation strugglers in the Championship to the Premier League and keeping us there for two seasons without once being in the bottom three. As at Newcastle and Norwich, a great manager and decent man treated abysmally by a club he has served well. I am disgusted.

Disgusted?

Saddened, surprised, shocked maybe - but not disgusted.

Our form since Christmas has been appalling - and in some of those games (Bournemouth, Cardiff, Saints, first half against Newcastle) the players didn't look like they cared.

Take that form into next season and we'd be relegated by Christmas.

He never had a plan B - just try and stay in the game, then wait until we are losing before making like for like changes.

The rumours of a drinking culture amongst some of the players (pictures and reports imply they are more than rumours) show a lack of discipline and respect toward the manager. Unfortunately, the players won't get sacked - ultimately the Manager carries the can.

Yes, he's a decent man - no one is disputing that - but to say he's been treated abysmally is absurd - football is a results based business, and Bloom knows the results (and performances) haven't been good enough in the last 4 months.

Thank you Chris, and Good Luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here