BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Screenshot_20190513-113458.png

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bloody hell, I'm not sure I can take this.

What an emotional 12 hours or so. First Bruno now Hughton. The club have lost two incredibly dignified and classy people.

I can understand Bloom's thinking, something clearly needed to change and the manager's usually the easiest option. Nevertheless it's a big move. I really, really hope we get the next appointment correct otherwise we've just become one of those many other clubs with eyes bigger than their bellies and ideas above their station.

Apologies if this has been asked earlier in the thread but do you think Hughton knew before the game? It wouldn't surprise me if he did but kept it quiet so as not to ruin Bruno's send off. Either way it's a shame that Hughton will not be able to receive the send off he so thoroughly deserves. The best Brighton manager of my 30+ years as a fan. History will record him as having an untarnished record with us as well as being a man of great class, humility and dignity.

It's a sad, if perhaps necessary day. Farewell and thanks for everything Chris! :salute::bowdown:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Can't agree with that. Huge changes needed and not sure he was the man to make them. Continuation of our form since Christmas would see us rock-bottom next season.

I guess I saw it as a blip rather than the new reality. A lot went against us, and then it became a malaise that we had to drag ourselves out of. Which we barely did. But Chris can be just as ruthless as TB and I expect he was planning a big clear-out this summer. But we'll never know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess I saw it as a blip rather than the new reality. A lot went against us, and then it became a malaise that we had to drag ourselves out of. Which we barely did. But Chris can be just as ruthless as TB and I expect he was planning a big clear-out this summer. But we'll never know.

It was interesting hearing after the game yesterday - can't find the audio but essentially said 'next season will be more of the same'......................

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm sure people can see what I thought from the opinion thread. I've been in and out like the hokey cokey all April. Ultimately we must have identified someone else.

Thanks for the memories Chris, an honourable man. But if there ever was a time to move on....

My sentiments exactly. I was proved wrong, just, I said in Jan he would take us down but probably the right man to take us back up. As the end of the season approached I thought we’d passed the point of sacking because of this, we should have done in January. However, by some miracle we stayed up and so for me it’s the right decision and pleased done so quickly. Sad day but inevitable. Cheers Chris, forever grateful.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The football was dour, we weren't a threat going forward and we needed huge slices of luck to achieve the things people are using to defend Hughton. The comical goalkeeping at Millwall to get us out of immediate danger there, how bad Cardiff were (despite beating us twice) causing their own relegation... I will always like Hughton, he's a classy man and did a brilliant job for us. Kept us up, won promotion and then kept us in the Premier League in consecutive seasons. We are where we are because of the job he has done, and that will never be forgotten.

But... the timing is right for a change. I admire his loyalty to the players who helped us get promoted, but there's no longer a need for players like Bong in the squad. It almost started feeling like he felt we'd reached the ceiling (Trademark Gus Poyet!) and we should just be happy to maintain our standing rather than attempting to push on. As soon as you reach that point, a change is needed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Chris is a risk averse manager (remember the recent comments about him not playing anyone in the first team until he can completely trust them). That has served us well but this season it also put TBs investment hugely at risk. He won't allow that to happen again. Better to make a decision and live to regret it than not make a decision and hope it all works out (cough Hyypia, cough).

Thank you Chris. You're a gent and will always have a very special place in the hearts of Albion fans, but TB has done the right thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton & Hove Albion have confirmed that Chris Hughton has left the club with immediate effect. Hughton’s assistant Paul Trollope and first-team coach Paul Nevin have also left.

Chairman Tony Bloom said, “Chris has done an excellent job over the past four and a half years. First stabilising our club, reaching the play-offs in his first full season, securing our first-ever promotion to the Premier League, and retaining our status in two successive seasons.

“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season.

“Our run of 3 wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it’s the right time for a change.

“Chris will always be very fondly remembered by Albion staff and fans as one of our club’s finest and most-respected managers.

“I would like to wish Chris, Paul and Paul – who have all worked extremely hard throughout their time here – every success for the future, and thank them on behalf of everyone at the club.

“They will always be welcome at the Amex, and will be remembered here with great affection.”

The club have confirmed that the process to find Chris’s successor is underway, and that there will be no further comment at this stage.

Fair enough. Sad to see him go as he did wonders for us but yeah, we can’t risk another season like that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The football was dour, we weren't a threat going forward and we needed huge slices of luck to achieve the things people are using to defend Hughton. The comical goalkeeping at Millwall to get us out of immediate danger there, how bad Cardiff were (despite beating us twice) causing their own relegation... I will always like Hughton, he's a classy man and did a brilliant job for us. Kept us up, won promotion and then kept us in the Premier League in consecutive seasons. We are where we are because of the job he has done, and that will never be forgotten.

But... the timing is right for a change. I admire his loyalty to the players who helped us get promoted, but there's no longer a need for players like Bong in the squad. It almost started feeling like he felt we'd reached the ceiling (Trademark Gus Poyet!) and we should just be happy to maintain our standing rather than attempting to push on. As soon as you reach that point, a change is needed.

Yep, it’s amazing how many plastics are now calling for our heads, that we deserve to go down next season etc. Well, we would unless things changed ironically. Least we now have a fighting chance. It might not come off but got to give a go and no better timing than immediately after the end of the season. Gives both parties time to take stock and plan accordingly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was interesting hearing after the game yesterday - can't find the audio but essentially said 'next season will be more of the same'......................

Ha! Fair enough but I'm sure he didn't mean it quite that way :lolol:

To be honest I still think we needed one more year of CH-style consolidation before branching on, but we're doing it now. Its all very 'Watford' isn't it? And they've done exceptionally well, but were everybody's pre-season favourite for relegation because of their managerial changes

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Managers remit 2017/18 Premier League survival, achieved (with an F A Cup QF), Managers remit 2018/19 Premier League survival, achieved (with an F A Cup SF), sacked a week later? Poor from the club, for those that wanted him out, congrats, Newcastle, Norwich now Brighton, #Together???? we now join 13 other Premier League teams in the manager mayhem and merry go round.
Two absolute club legends, gents and class acts gone in 24hrs, a part of everything I have admired and loved about this club over the years has gone with today’s decision, thought we had a bit more class than that, sorry Tony, very poor.
So annoyed.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We had all this wailing and gnashing of teeth when Poyet left....a legend.....disgraceful....who the hell is going to replace him....etc...etc.....fast forward.........
Some of our fans haven't seen many managers come and go.....I have..... I was disappointed when Freddie Goodwin went, gutted when Peter Taylor ( no.1 ) left, same with Mullery, same with Bailey, same with Adams ( first time )....it happens.....its football. It happens throughout the game at all levels. It is hugely competitive and loyalty and sympathy only go so far. You are literally only as good as your last game. I wanted CH gone after the Cardiff game. For me, the dressing room was lost, we hadn't progressed, we were playing nervous, turgid football and looked like dead men walking. Admittedly, we rallied a bit, employing desperate tactics but it didn't paper over the cracks. It was probably right to let him see the season out but I think the decision was made after the Cardiff game. I hear fans saying that he should have been given the chance to turn it around next season. Do they honestly think that would have happened, with largely the same squad of players, who had spent the last few weeks arguing with each other on the pitch and showing signs of ill discipline and a manager fairly set in his ways.
And to answer any questions about progress, lets just look at some of the benchmark clubs around us. Clubs that we are trying to finish above. Southampton ( level points with last season ) Newcastle ( 5 points worse off ) Palace ( 9 points worse off ) Bournemouth ( 5 points worse off )....let alone the next group ahead of us..... Watford ( 13 points worse off ) West Ham ( 14 points worse off ) Leicester ( 9 points worse off ) Everton ( 9 points worse off )
We have lost ground on points, on position and on progress and yet many fans were hoping for a turn round. The table doesn't lie and neither does the body language of players. It is always sad to see a well respected man go but its clearly time for a change and we all have to swallow the pill and move on.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Managers remit 2017/18 Premier League survival, achieved (with an F A Cup QF), Managers remit 2018/19 Premier League survival, achieved (with an F A Cup SF), sacked a week later? Poor from the club, for those that wanted him out, congrats, Newcastle, Norwich now Brighton, #Together???? we now join 13 other Premier League teams in the manager mayhem and merry go round.
Two absolute club legends, gents and class acts gone in 24hrs, a part of everything I have admired and loved about this club over the years has gone with today’s decision, thought we had a bit more class than that, sorry Tony, very poor.
So annoyed.

I totally agree. I hope we appoint soon, so the squad are kept together. Losing one or both of our centre backs would be bad news........

TNBA

TTF

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I think social media pics of Duffy out gambling at 6am 2 days before the final game of the season

I have it on good authority that this is a regular occurrence. The Albion and Duffy’s agent brought Duffy’s best friend from Ireland to Brighton to keep him under control. Turns out his best mate can’t and he is always on piss with Knockaert gambling huge sums of cash.

*note: they earn their money they can do what they like. However, when you’re a professional athlete it’s not great.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Wow. Feeling a bit numb right now. It's been a great joy living here in the States and seeing the Albion play live on national TV in this country, and we owe much of that to Chris Hughton. He's a man of dignity and integrity, and is universally respected. I wish I could thank him personally for everything he's done for our club and our city, and I've never felt that way about any manager or coach before.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I really thought Tony would give Chris another transfer window to sort some shit out. Hughton knew the problems, but I don't think he had the manpower to fix them.

I would have given him until Christmas and seen how we got on.

Taking in Potter would be a massive risk.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pulls going from Middlesbrough... pretty sure he won’t be out of work long

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The fact is that we stayed up because other results went our way. If Cardiff had beaten Palace we'd be preparing for Championship football, and what that means is that this was a season where, measured by our own work, we were just as much relegated as we were safe.

I have never been on the CH out bandwagon, and I have mixed feelings about this, there aren't many managers as respected as Chris. However, I did not want to watch another season like that, and I was fearing that next season could well have been a repeat of this one, just without the luck at the end.

What CH has done for us has been great, but it has seemed for a while now that he was not the guy to take us much further forward, and we are in need of progress now. It's a bold decision and I respect and trust in TB if he feels that is the call to make. He's braver than I might have been in his shoes, and it's his bravery and boldness which has got us in this magical position.

Now we move forward. I don't know how likely or possible it is, but the dream for me, a dream I have had for years, is bringing Arsene Wenger to the Amex.

Make it happen Tony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here