Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How many times have the club stated they don't sign a player without the manager having the final say?

This

We are big business now, take everything said with a pinch of salt. The club would have had you believe CH was as safe as houses here....until the shock announcement early this morning.

But also, This.

God, I don't know.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just noticed on the BBC article about CH sacking and it has a tweet from Gary Liniker in it where he says

"Sorry to see Chris Hughton as been fired, When he took over @officalBHAFC were in danger of being relegated to league One. They've now had two season in the premier league, He did a fine job and will be a tough act to follow"

Now anyone who watched the Match of the Day review on the FA cup semi final where him and his mates were sneering at our defensive display against city and how awful we were and they would hate to watch that week in week out. I remember being really angry at that and thought to myself "I thought Gary Lineker was supposed to be CH friend, with friends like that who needs enemies"

I can't believe, he has got the nerve to tweet that, the ducking hypocrite, what a total 'anker

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Just noticed on the BBC article about CH sacking and it has a tweet from Gary Liniker in it where he says

"Sorry to see Chris Hughton as been fired, When he took over @officalBHAFC were in danger of being relegated to league One. They've now had two season in the premier league, He did a fine job and will be a tough act to follow"

Now anyone who watched the Match of the Day review on the FA cup semi final where him and his mates were sneering at our defensive display against city and how awful we were and they would hate to watch that week in week out. I remember being really angry at that and thought to myself "I thought Gary Lineker was supposed to be CH friend, with friends like that who needs enemies"

I can't believe, he has got the nerve to tweet that, the ducking hypocrite, what a total 'anker

Totally agree... the trouble is, for the most part, footballers are (well) just not that bright... indeed their lack of ability to recall things they’ve previously said is (at times) astonishing.

The above overview of the semi final coverage is spot on, we were lambasted for our negative approach, an approach directed by CH... yet today, well, we’re totally wrong for daring to try and make tangible progress as a club in this division.

Pathetic but all too predictable...

Soon this will be yesterday’s news as they (the pundits) turn their attention to the CL final... and us back to the PL footnote that TB is trying earnestly to get in the main body of text...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think it's too simplistic to view this solely in terms of the senior squad. Uncle Tony has spent a lot of time and money putting down solid foundations that should make the club sustainable in the longer term, including a cool £30 million on the academy. Ideally we would have a free flowing pipeline from U18 to U23 to the senior squad. For whatever reason that pipeline has become blocked. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors and cannot know if Hughton was the main driver in preventing U23 players from progressing to the full squad. However, given his ultra conservative approach it is a reasonable enough supposition. I can't imagine that Bloom was pleased at the return on that particular investment.

Graham Potter has been touted as our likely next manager to such an extent that those close to the club must know something. How has Potter earned his spurs this season? Well the following, taken from Stuart James's piece in the Guardian helps to explain...

"That imbalance left Potter with little option but to turn to graduates from the club’s academy, many of whom thrived in a team that not only finished in the top half of the table but also played attractive, free-flowing possession-based football."

Sound like the kind of guy Tony might fancy?

Hughton did wonderful things for our club. Whether you were "Team In" or "Club Out", we are all pretty much agreed that he was an all round good egg and that we're sorry it had to end this way. However, we are also unusual as a club in that we have an extraordinarily high level of support for the owner. This episode will have dented the faith of many but can we seriously doubt Tony's motives? Hughton had acquired a lot of credit over the years but I would suggest that Tony has generated even more.

After observing an appropriate period of time giving thanks for Chris's efforts and legacy... Onwards!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

[tweet]1127869254273982465[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/warrenchrismas/status/1127869254273982465

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many times have the club stated they don't sign a player without the manager having the final say?

These are the only 2 wingers in our price range, that we can sign. Do you want them or not?

Final say is hardly going to be ‘no I don’t want any new players thanks’.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Did we stay up only because of the death of Emiliano Sala*?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I suspect those that have seen previous posts of mine will know that I'm pleased that TB has taken this step. Firstly though, I have a lot of respect for CH and what he has done for the club I just think that we had, some time ago, run out of ideas and that the fall back option everytime was to go extremely defensive.

The football we have had to watch has been absolutely dire and I would suggest that the roots of it go back further than the turn of the year. Against Spurs at home, the die was cast when, although not expecting to win, we chose not to have a go. Spurs were on the back of 3 defeats and had their third choice keeper yet we sat back rather than press them. We then had three wins on the trot, West Ham, Wolves and Newcastle. Obviously welcome points but in my view, very lucky as we were on the back foot in all three. Maybe those victories encouraged CH with the view that you could sit back, soak up the pressure and maybe nick a goal. A tactic he employed frequently in the second half of the season but without the success.

Further infuriating tactics are a) our kick offs. Always the same and always the same outcome. b) Defending corners. Why oh why do we have all 11 players defending corners when by putting just one player on the half way line you'll drag two opponents out of the penalty area. Both of these tactics have been utilised for two seasons. Now I suspect the coaching staff have a hand in this but surely they are operating under CH's remit. He watches the games and from his pitchside vantage point surely he can see the kick off is a waste of time.

There has been plenty of drivel written about this, both on NSC and in the press. I've seen one person claim CH dragged us from nowhere and took us to the EPL. Well I wouldn't describe 3rd from bottom of the Championship as nowhere, that particular destination was around in 1997. I've heard he inherited a squad of nobodies, well in the previous season under Garcia, those nobodies had been in the play-offs. The difference was the gamble on Hyypia that failed. CH did turn it around and nobody will forget those two unbelievable seasons culminating in promotion.

Other drivel from supporters of other clubs asking what do Brighton fans expect, European football! Well not quite but what TB alluded to was the performances. Those fans don't watch our matches week in week out. I've recently heard spurs fans describe our football as a disgrace and similar comments walking back from Molineux.

Football is a tough business. Chris, thanks for the memories but this chapter of your career is up. Good luck in wherever your career now takes you.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I feel like it’s a very poor time to announce it, it should’ve been announced before yesterday’s game so we could give him the send off he deserved, it seems rather sad and unprofessional to do it now.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I've been bisy most of the day and now it's late I'm being too lazy to check every post. Also, this is just because it is the first post I saw with this sentiment, and not necessarily direct specifically at you

If this had been announce ahead of the game, wouldn't there be the very real risk that some of the people would also be ones criticising him for taking thte focus off Bruno on his big day

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now it is time to re-title the thread "Chris Hughton leaves with his head held high."

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Sorry if this has been discussed, I've been bisy most of the day and now it's late I'm being too lazy to check every post. Also, this is just because it is the first post I saw with this sentiment, and not necessarily direct specifically at you

If this had been announce ahead of the game, wouldn't there be the very real risk that some of the people would also be ones criticising him for taking thte focus off Bruno on his big day

Exactly this, when has a club ever announced a manager is going to be sacked before a game?

Mutual consent yes but not a sacking.

Bloom has handled this the right way as far as I’m concerned. Like all true Brighton fans I see Hughton as a legend for what he has done over the last 4 years but the change is at the right time and for the right reasons in my opinion.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Needed to be done, thanks Chris.
Some on here say that our future is now uncertain, if we had kept Chris relagation would have been the future.
Just shows that those suspecting him flying in the face of the boardroom by feilding the players who got us promoted instead of the new signings could have been onto something.
The writing wss on the wall and desicion made weeks ago.
That said we are grateful for Chris getting us here.
His stock in trade is to get clubs to the Premeir League, maybe he should concentrate on this only as a career path, plenty willing to pay for that.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I will be putting a substantial bet on Brighton being relegated next season now that they have sacked Hughton - and don't be surprised to see him bringing another club up as Brighton are going down (that is if he doesn't get another PL job in the meantime).

Dependent upon his replacement, me too.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I will be putting a substantial bet on Brighton being relegated next season now that they have sacked Hughton - and don't be surprised to see him bringing another club up as Brighton are going down (that is if he doesn't get another PL job in the meantime).

Which other Premier League club, current or promoted, would hire Hughton as their manager? I can't think of one.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here