Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm very glad that the crowd managed a decent rendition of "Chrissy Hughton's Blue & White Army" at the end of the appreciation lap yesterday. The very least he deserved after all the good times that he made such a massive contribution to providing.

Indeed. He'll go with our praise and thanks ringing in his ears, rather than the anger and the inevitable 'Hughton out!' chants he would have endured if next season had started the way this one has finished.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Unfortunately I think the time is right and a very sad day as Chris will always be a legend.

It looks like TB didn't see CH turning it around!!! It shows that TB doesn't have any scruples though and will make the tough decisions needed!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No one can doubt Tony Bloom's ability to be decisive.

It’s quite the different approach to Sami, isn’t it?

On topic: I’m really surprised that it’s happened now, but I did say at the time of Ashworth’s appointment that either he or Chris would leave reasonably quickly.

Thanks for everything, Chris. Thanks too for delivering arguably our best ever season. And then being fired for not being thought the right man for next season. Tough gig, football.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Really surprised, but I can see the logic. MASSIVE decision to take to bring the right person in now though.

Me too.

Can see the logic as if we'd started next season badly, he would've been sacked anyway and we'd be scrambling around without having a pre season. Performances this year have been awful.

But even so.....

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Very surprised and it's a sad day. Chris has arguably been our greatest manager.

However ... it's a brutal business and results and performances have been poor. It is, regretfully, time for a change. The current squad needs a fairly major upgrade and if Tony Bloom thinks a new man needs to be put in charge of that project I'm happy to trust his judgement.

Thank you Chris, a thoroughly decent man and an Albion legend forever.

the captain

May 21, 2013
Be careful what you wish for!
6 months ago he was being put forward as successor to Poch at Spurs if the latter went to Utd to replace Jose We were all terrified of this.How quickly things change
I have to admit I am gutted and think it is a terrible decision
83...sacked our manger as we were playing boring football ,got to Wembley ... replacement was a joke.
Hope history doesn't repeat itself with relegation next season
My only consolation is that I think I trust Bloom's judgement and Barber and co appear to be organised enough to have got someone else in mind already

D

Deleted member 2719

Never ever apart from Hereford have I ever felt so relieved as a Brighton and Hove Albion fan.

Chris and his style were just not for me.

He will be for some fans, but he was never progressive.

Time to move on.

Well done the Club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure people can see what I thought from the opinion thread. I've been in and out like the hokey cokey all April. Ultimately we must have identified someone else.

Thanks for the memories Chris, an honourable man. But if there ever was a time to move on....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It'll be a young manager who Ashworth can work with, hoping to recreate the (somewhat) flukey Southgate renaissance of the England senior team set up by Big Sam's alleged indiscretions.

I'm completely Hughton IN, but if your bosses are not with you then all you want is decisive action.

This also sends a message to all the squad that this club does not **** about. It'll also flush out any transfer requests.

Thanks Chris. Immense person and iconic front man for the club.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Can't see how people are surpised about this. 3 wins in 23 games the most boring footy in years and just escaping relegation. CH is a great championship manager and no doubt a cluster of clubs will now chase him. However his overtly defensive attitude and inability to change it cost him. ONLY TB knows why but it's his money and he can make the choices

If you can't see why people are surprised by this, you are not very perceptive. Plenty of people have been calling for him to go, plenty of others (including myself) have called for him to stay, and assumed that Mr Bloom would stick with it.

Having said that, I totally respect TB's decision.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Relegation would have been inevitable if the man who kept us up twice had stayed?
Yeah, that makes total sense.

For much of this season we have looked like a team incapable of constructing a worthwhile attack. The team have regressed and if that pattern continues then we would have gone down next season.

You know that I’m not one to call for the managers head but if you’d had to sit through the performances this season you’d agree with the decision.

It doesn’t mean I’m not sad though as Hughton is a great guy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure people can see what I thought from the opinion thread. I've been in and out like the hokey cokey all April. Ultimately we must have identified someone else.

Thanks for the memories Chris, an honourable man. But if there ever was a time to move on....

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not suprised at all. As id said on previous threads and got slated for it was highly unlikely Bloom would trust Hughton with new investment after our second half a season. It is time to move beyond just being grateful to be here and scraping survival. Im glad the chairman feels the same way now the happy clapper support element need to follow suit!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here