Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This is where my thinking is today....He's paid the price for those in the club who have given him the pigs ear of a team to work with....

How many times have the club stated they don't sign a player without the manager having the final say?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is where my thinking is today....He's paid the price for those in the club who have given him the pigs ear of a team to work with....

Attack the board, and beware.

Another view is our players are decent but they have not been deployed properly.

That is a large part of my view.

If CH comes out and claims he was sacked unfairly having had shit players foisted upon him, I might reconsider. Possibly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many times have the club stated they don't sign a player without the manager having the final say?

We are big business now, take everything said with a pinch of salt. The club would have had you believe CH was as safe as houses here....until the shock announcement early this morning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Another view is our players are decent but they have not been deployed properly.

If CH comes out and claims he was sacked unfairly having had shit players foisted upon him, I might reconsider. Possibly.

His payoff will be dependent on him not saying anything like that.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

He won't. He's too ****ing cool for any of that nonsense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find this a very interesting comment in the latest Arsegas piece from Naylor confirming our interest in Potter:

"Bloom alone took the decision to dispense with Hughton late last night". Looking like Barber and everybody else were in the dark as to what the Chairman was planning before last night (I suspect he told them first before telling Hughton!!)???

Thankfully the club made it known that it was TB’s call, which is obvious anyway.

Preventing pointless speculation about TB versus PB’s role.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Like you I hope that Chris looks back on his time with us as a HUGE success, and harbors no bitterness. As for us, we need ti brace ourselves for being the tam that everyone wants to see go down next year, and if we do, it will not be met with sympathy, we'll get laughter, and fans all over telling us that we brought it on ourselves..

They've been laughing at us anyway. There's a "teamslikeBrighton" hashtag for a very good reason. If you're worried about what other fans think of us, then I suspect you'll be worrying for a long time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Incredible to think that Tony was prepared to stick with Hyppia, but has pulled the trigger on Hughton.

Different stakes in the premier league, clearly.

What? Hyppia lasted 6 months. In what way was that 'prepared to stick'?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suppose the main questions are

1. did he leave us in a better place than he found us? (yes)

2. could the place he left us have (realistically) been much better? (possibly)

3. If he stayed would the direction of travel taken us further towards that place? (unknowable)

4. will the new appointee? (we'll see)

**** me. With that level of vision you should be in charge of Brexit. :lolol::wink:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
She said listen Chris, I love you
But there's this bloke, I fancy
I don't want to two time you
So it's the end for you and me

Who's this bloke I asked her
Graaaaaaaham, she replied
Not THAT puff, I said dismayed
Yes but he's no puff she cried

Gordon is a moron, Gordon is a moron... love it!

Let's just hope it's not Tony is a moron, eh!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
4.5 years in the job and the first 3.5 were great, we couldn’t have asked for any more. He excelled himself and will always have my respect for that.

However, the facts do not lie and this season (the whole season, not just the second half like some would have you believe) has been abysmal. We fluked three wins in a row in October that gave us a false sense of safety, but the reality is we’ve been truly hopeless for a long time. We can’t score, we can’t attack, we’ve got no pace, we move the ball slowly, we are cautious and timid, we show too much respect to opponents, we have won four away games out of the last 40, we only make subs at 70 minutes. Most worryingly of all, he’s done nothing to combat the critical issues even a layman like me can see occurring throughout the season. He appears to me to be a manager with his head in the sand. It’s absolutely woeful stuff and completely untenable at this level. I could go on but most of all, I’m just bored of my team being so spineless, defensive and dull.

Finally, the inevitable came in recent months as our home form fell apart. Hughton had been boring his way to enough points at the Amex to keep the more blinkered fans on side but finally the players couldn’t cope with such a mentally and physically draining style any longer. You just can’t lose 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, a team that had just lost nine consecutive away games. You can’t lose to Southampton, Burnley and Cardiff with barely a shot on goal.

Hughton has actually been a dead man walking for a long time. I called it in 2018 after the Leicester game. Losing a 60 minute match at home to ten men because we sat on the edge of our own box and failed to lay a glove on them was embarrassing at Premier League level. I don’t think any other manager in this division would have done what he did that day. There have been countless other opportunities missed this season, going all the way back to Fulham and Southampton in the first month, as a direct result of the manager’s approach. So regrettably, he had to go and he should have gone months ago.

Exactly right, except the last bit. It was correct to give him the season, he’d earned that right.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
4.5 years in the job and the first 3.5 were great, we couldn’t have asked for any more. He excelled himself and will always have my respect for that.

However, the facts do not lie and this season (the whole season, not just the second half like some would have you believe) has been abysmal. We fluked three wins in a row in October that gave us a false sense of safety, but the reality is we’ve been truly hopeless for a long time. We can’t score, we can’t attack, we’ve got no pace, we move the ball slowly, we are cautious and timid, we show too much respect to opponents, we have won four away games out of the last 40, we only make subs at 70 minutes. Most worryingly of all, he’s done nothing to combat the critical issues even a layman like me can see occurring throughout the season. He appears to me to be a manager with his head in the sand. It’s absolutely woeful stuff and completely untenable at this level. I could go on but most of all, I’m just bored of my team being so spineless, defensive and dull.

Finally, the inevitable came in recent months as our home form fell apart. Hughton had been boring his way to enough points at the Amex to keep the more blinkered fans on side but finally the players couldn’t cope with such a mentally and physically draining style any longer. You just can’t lose 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, a team that had just lost nine consecutive away games. You can’t lose to Southampton, Burnley and Cardiff with barely a shot on goal.

Hughton has actually been a dead man walking for a long time. I called it in 2018 after the Leicester game. Losing a 60 minute match at home to ten men because we sat on the edge of our own box and failed to lay a glove on them was embarrassing at Premier League level. I don’t think any other manager in this division would have done what he did that day. There have been countless other opportunities missed this season, going all the way back to Fulham and Southampton in the first month, as a direct result of the manager’s approach. So regrettably, he had to go and he should have gone months ago.

Once again, The Complete Badger nails it. Spot on analysis as usual.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Paul Hayward's column in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...as-paid-price-mistakes-others-brightons-next/

Those Brighton fans meanwhile who blamed the manager for “wasting money” ignored the fact that the club’s recruitment department, not Hughton, determined transfer policy. There is a strong case for saying Hughton has paid the price for mistakes made elsewhere in the club.

A very good article that and sums the situation up well I reckon.

"Brighton’s next moves had better be good to justify this sacking". Indeed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought that Tony accepted his resignation, but was prepared to stick with him?
That is probably an NSC fact though.

Any comparisons between CH and Hyppia, whether to praise or condem the chairman, are absurd. Almost as absurd as the absolute clowns spouting off in the media that sacking CH was motivated by TB's racism.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Seriously? Were you at the games?

Man United and Palace at home are the only times this season that we have genuinely played well - possibly Arsenal when we were already safe. Otherwise, most of this season has been a turgid, painful, horrible, funless grind.

Yes I was.

PS: If you can't even stretch to Palace or even Arsenal away as good performances then fair enough. Tough crowd to say the least.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His payoff will be dependent on him not saying anything like that.

Yes.

My minor point, though, was he won't say that because it isn't true, and I really don't think CH is a liar. My major point was that the players are decent and that CH was simply unable to get the best out of them.

Something related.....I am a bit concerned by stories about players on the lash after the Arsenal game. I am concerned that the gung ho performances of our central two come at a cost, and the off field unprofessionalism that has been suggested to be going with it can't be acceptable. It will be interesting to see how many '£50 mill for the pair' bids are made for our central defenders during the summer. My expectation is none.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The lazy pundits will spout the soundbites based purely on where we were four years ago, but those of us who’ve watched every kick of this season know the current reality.

Those that believe he should be sacked now include Tony Bloom and presumably Paul Barber, so illustrious company, and at the end of the day its his train set.
But there's plenty of fans who racked up the loyalty points home and away this season who disagree so unfair/wrong to presume that its only the fair weather pundits/fans who think stability / investment / one more year was the wiser gamble.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here