Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I also agree with every word (apart from 'recue' -- I'll forgive you that one) of this. It was in April that I turned against CH for the first time (which includes that awful period towards the end of his first half season, when we picked up a similar number of points, wins and goals). I'm surprised that [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] did too, because he's been about as articulate a defender, or better promoter, of CH from the outset.
Barber's words suggest that the two-day meeting the board has already taken place, despite the fact that it was stated that this normally occurs after the season's end. The outcome seems to be that we'll persevere with CH, and this means that I'm going to get behind him for next season. But I do so with serious doubts, because I don't think he has the attacking acumen as a coach to make the most of the talent to take us up the table. Sure, we played delightful attacking football during those thrilling last two seasons in the Championship, but what I'm talking about is not only attacking football, but different styles of attacking football, in the PL, and it's that that I'm not convinced he can deliver. I'd be delighted that he's given the ammunition to prove me wrong, but will wait to be convinced on it (while also getting behind the team fully).

In terms of players for next season, for me, definite starters from our current squad include Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo, March, and two out of Gross, Propper and Bissouma. If Izquierdo is back up-and-running, then he would make that list, but it looks like a persistent injury and a serious operation so it seems sensible to not expect too much from him probably until 2020. Knockaert is clearly talented, but he's too temperamental and I just don't think he can read the game as effectively as the above listed players (and especially March) at this level. Stephens is also clearly a contender, but he's just too slow and ponderous for me, and a more dynamic, athletic DCM who is quicker both in thought and movement is one of the three positions that we really need to upgrade this squad. That will really cost. As will a striker, which will cost more. With squeezed so much out of Glenn, but I'd rather he started next season on the bench, to come on for the last 20 minutes or so, to condense his goalscoring nous into a shorter period. Then we also need a RB, with pace, and it's pace that we need in this squad.

Beyond those three, we're unlikely to be able to spend big on many other players (and it's spending big that we need), although if we can ship a few under-performers out (Locadia), we might be able to buy a new winger or ACM. We might pick one of these up on loan, as the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool appear to have some wonderful talent in the pipeline. DA ought to know these players better than just about any other figure in the UK game. We should hope for one or two outrageously talented English teenagers to find their way into the squad, challenging for a first team place over the next year or two.

Thanks. Great additional points. You have no idea how many times I proof read it as well :facepalm:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There has been a lot of focus and rightly so on the performance of our new signings, but I think most would agree we did strengthen the squad last summer adding depth in some key positions. SO was it just that the second season is harder, or did fitness and form also play a big part.

Our first season we were on reflection, very fortunate with the small number of injuries we did pick up. The second season, has seen a lot more disruption. Izquierdo managed to outperform Ali J by nicking a single assist. 3 goals and 3 assists from Pascal Gross is unlikely to see Liverpool come looking again. Both of these can and must do better, when returned to full fitness.

Davy Propper, I think has had his head turned. Maybe one or two other midfielders were fortunate to have a run of games to the end of the season to redeem themselves. If he wants to go, we should just make it happen ASAP and go sign a replacement.

Once again we owe a debt of gratitude to Sir Glenn and his 13 goals. However there was a big contrast between the first half and second half of the season. The finishing is still there, but he really made it look hard work from January onwards. This can just be the effort of playing in a struggling side. Bruno looked to me like he was ready to pack it in under Hypia, where he (Bruno) still wanted to play pass and move and Hypia developed a style best described as pass and admire. However I suspect that age is finally catching up with our talisman. Is he replaceable? Well he HAS to be, but every club, is on the look out for goalscorers. Both Huddersfield and Cardiff signed plenty of possibles, none of whom ever looked like producing the goods. Ultimately if teams know you are unlikely to punish them, they will take more risks. which really puts a strain on the defence.

Of the U23s. I would like to see Molumby and White get involved and a full season on loan for Connolly. Gyokeres, for me didn't really grab his chance, but he may come again. We do have some decent prospects, unfortunately no one has really stood out at right back.

So yes this is a pivotal summer. Two strikers, a right back and possibly one more in midfield as a minimum I would suggest.

Another good post.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Uncle Tony has put this out of date pretty quick. :)

Hasn't he just!

I remember [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] starting a thread on realistic next steps where I said I thought he'd be more likely to leave if we just stayed up but when I edited this last night it looked to me llike he was staying. How wrong can you be? :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here